Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I am looking at getting a bluetooth headset and was looking for some feedback on the smh5fm.
There is a lot of positive feedback here about the 10's but I really wanted a fm tuner so that rules out the 10's.
Is the 5-fm ok or would I be better looking at a different brand?

Thanks Brendan

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Watch this comparison. The SMH10 has a quick release system which I love, plus I have never had the battery go dead on all day motorcycle adventure rides, playing music the whole time.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I hate the boom pole mic. Does the SMH10 have the option for a wired mic like the SMH5 does?

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I use the flexible boom and it has a wind cover that goes on the back side and flattens it out some. I bend it up to my lips after I put the helmet on, and forward when not in use. Also, I run it up close to the edge of the helmet so that it is never in the way.They do have an accessory flat mic in the lower part of the picture. I purchased the accessory helmet mount with the earplug adapter for three helmets so that I could quickly swap the unit out. Kart helmet, dual sport helmet, and street helmet.

Just call me Google Doug for now on.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Thanks. I actually used to have a scala rider that had the boom pole mic, so I am familiar with using one. I just dont like them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comparison link Google Doug, I can see now why the 5's aren't mentioned here much now.

I also just found out the the 20s has an fm tuner as well, so I might have to wait a bit longer, save some more pennies and grab one of them.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I will probably get a 20 down the road, but I have 3000 songs on my iPod Nano, so FM is not a big deal for me.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Connect via phone radio- and stream to the Sena via bluetooth?

I have the 10 and I use the discreet wired mic(the boom mic just sticks out too much for me)- mainly got it because I can talk to 3 other people at the same time- when I and my friend travel with our wives, it makes the journey feel like a roadtrip on a car- except for all the food and drinks that get passed around. You can even make the other person listen to your music I believe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeh just stream through your phone for the radio. Not to sure about how you would change radio station if you wanted though.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have the 5, and a 10R. My 5 stopped working one day so I bought the 10R thinking the low profile would be a good feature, but I find it much fussier to use than the 5, so if I were to do it again, I'd go with a 10. The 10R has longer range than the 5, which is noticeable even when using it with another 5 (my son and a friend have 5's). The Sena's seem to rate pretty well, but range isn't great. I get about 150 yards at best, and in the mountains, more like 75 before they become pretty sketchy. After the 10R arrived, I tried the 5 again and of course it's been working ever since. So it's installed in my spare helmet.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

1 - 12 of 12 Posts