Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
I installed mine yesterday. It took roughly 20 minutes total (Shoei RF1200). The sound quality when listening to music isn't the best but the audio quality itself during phone calls were great. I only used it for about 30 minutes but my wife had no clue I was on the bike until I told her. (and I have an exhaust with baffle out)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the feedback,going to put mine in tonight going to be 60 degrees in ct tomorrow taking the fz off the stands in my shop!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Had mine since March of 2014 when I got my FZ and it's still running strong, love the SMH10r.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Got the smh10r as well, my bike is loud, I can hear the music over it, and can make calls but there is no hiding the noise of the bike in the background

·
Registered
429 Posts
Don't be afraid of using those extra foam pads for the speakers, they will get the speakers closer to your ears to improve stated lack of audio quality..... I added them after a few trips, and they made a HUGE difference....

Got the 20s for the woman and I and also as stated, couldn't imagine riding without now.... especially on those 1000 mile days on the FJR.

·
Registered
551 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Audio quality isn't the best, but beats running wires everywhere like I was doing before picking up my 20S. My only other complaint is the size of the speakers. They don't really fit too well in my Shoei RF1200's speaker cut outs. It's not a big problem on short rides, but after about an hour the speakers rubbing up against my ear starts to hurt. I may try to pop the bezels off on the speakers or switch them out for ones from another unit that are a little smaller (like the 10S or 10R).

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I loved my 10's with earbud adapters. The units worked in the worst conditions without fail, which is more than I can say about my 20S.I am on my second pair of 20S after one rain storm shorted my first pair out.

·
Registered
275 Posts
If you haven't tried it yet, wear ear plugs with the intercom system. Not only does the ear plugs block out the wind noise but you can hear the music much cleaner. I have the smh10 and it was hard to differentiate the audio from the speaker vs the wind noise but the ear plugs solved that for me.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just replaced my SMH10R, old one works fine just wouldn't charge the battery through the unit. Had to use my girls helmet to charge and swap out the battery when she didn't need hers. I was at the Progressive International Motorcycle Show just recently and the rep at the Sena booth was showing off a newer revision of the 10R there kinda wish I had waited.

Does anyone know where I can get the connector the battery uses? I've been wanting to make a Y-splitter for using two batteries on those long trips. It was pretty annoying when my helmet died early afternoon on our tail of the dragon trip..

Hello from Watertown btw!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I just replaced my SMH10R, old one works fine just wouldn't charge the battery through the unit. Had to use my girls helmet to charge and swap out the battery when she didn't need hers. I was at the Progressive International Motorcycle Show just recently and the rep at the Sena booth was showing off a newer revision of the 10R there kinda wish I had waited.

Does anyone know where I can get the connector the battery uses? I've been wanting to make a Y-splitter for using two batteries on those long trips. It was pretty annoying when my helmet died early afternoon on our tail of the dragon trip..

Hello from Watertown btw!
Recently moved to Southington and I was actually riding in your area a couple weeks ago. Got my self lost and found a nice road that took me through Thomaston..

Anyways, when my sena dies from long rides, I have a small usb charger that I got from work and I ziptie it to the helmet and just plug it in. It looks hilarious but works!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Recently moved to Southington and I was actually riding in your area a couple weeks ago. Got my self lost and found a nice road that took me through Thomaston..

Anyways, when my sena dies from long rides, I have a small usb charger that I got from work and I ziptie it to the helmet and just plug it in. It looks hilarious but works!
I have a pen size usb power bank that i keep in my jacket for just incase i might need to charge. With the add on of a 12 bolt source on the bike, that use bank might find it self in the wife's jacket.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have used mine with my family and girlfriend group rides for more than a year. My mother has had issues with batteries not holding a charge very well when they get cold, but Sena has been good about replacing them. There has been odd interference from her Can-Am windshield at times, as well, but that isn't an issue for most people :).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts