Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I purchased the Sena 20S and just wanted to give a quick review. I don't know how other Sena units sound but these sound HORRIBLE. I love the unit and the way the large dial works but I do not like the speakers at all. Very easy to pair and operate with gloves on too. Does anyone have experience with using any other types of speakers while still using the Sena unit?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
What is horrible about them (volume, bass response , etc?)

My sena speakers are ok but they have no bass response. This is expected though given all of these communicators are set up for voice over music. If you want good music sound you'll likely have to get the headphone adapter and invest in a good pair of low profile in ears

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is horrible about them (volume, bass response , etc?)

My sena speakers are ok but they have no bass response. This is expected though given all of these communicators are set up for voice over music. If you want good music sound you'll likely have to get the headphone adapter and invest in a good pair of low profile in ears
Volume, bass, clarity...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Volume, bass, clarity...
Out of interest have you used a helmet intercom before? What you describe is pretty common for headset systems.

I've only used a Scala Rider G9 before and it is much the same. The Sena units are supposed to be the better examples for sound quality.

Also - double check your speaker placement. If they're not exactly adjacent to your ears quality drops off a lot.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I am glad that I use custom earmolds. When I bought my first generation iPod, I put speakers in my helmet and took them out the first ride and went to the music store and got a pair of Shure in ear headphones as they were that bad. Good thing the 20S has a built in earplug jack. I made backups using a cable winder and earphones to carry to the races so that I can listen to the local FM race report. They work with my communicator also, and velcro to the back of my helmet. This could work for someone that does not have custom molds.

earphones.jpg

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Out of interest have you used a helmet intercom before? What you describe is pretty common for headset systems.

I've only used a Scala Rider G9 before and it is much the same. The Sena units are supposed to be the better examples for sound quality.

Also - double check your speaker placement. If they're not exactly adjacent to your ears quality drops off a lot.
Used a chatterbox slim before and it sounded far superior. I will check placement but I've ****ed with it a lot with no luck.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Used a chatterbox slim before and it sounded far superior. I will check placement but I've ****ed with it a lot with no luck.
I have the SMH10R slim sena unit. One thing to make sure is that your phone volume is cranked up all the way. Speaker placement makes a difference, even little adjustments can make a difference but it should not be the difference between hearing it really loud or not really hearing it at all. You may also have a faulty unit, the reviews on them so far for people who are upgrading from other sena units seems to be really favorable with the audio quality especially. Maybe mess around a little more and then contact Support at Sena.

Steve

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Also make sure it's up to date with the latest firmware

·
Registered
103 Posts
I wanted to get the specs of the speakers for the 20s which are "Speaker: driver unit 36 mm – thickness 6.5 mm" and compare them to my Sena SMH10r's but I could not find the specs on Sena's web site for the 10r's..

But looking at the images, the 20s speakers look to be different. My reason for stating this is that I find my Sean SMH 10r to be a very good sounding system. But yes as stated previously, the system is designed for voice communications primarily as can be deduced by the music sound quality. But again, I find the sound quality and volume to be very good in the 10r. I have a Shoei Quest helmet and the speaker location is set to one spot because the helmet has molded pockets to accept speakers of this sort. The speakers can be moved in this socket by only a 2 or 3 mm in any direction. So if speaker placement is the key to any of these speakers, I am fortune that my ears line up perfectly with the Shoei helmet speaker pocket design.

Its hard to do a speaker location by your self since you cannot pin point your ear canal with the helmet on. but you can do it with help. Have someone stand on your side with your head in an upright riding position or on the bike in riding position without the helmet on. Have them place a ruler on your shoulder or collar bone and measure the center oy your ear canal. Now this measurment is going to need to be a projection measurment meaning that the ruler is about 2 or 3 inches from touching your ear. Now lets say the measurment is about 6 inches or 152mm. Put on your helmet and have that person place a sticker on the side of your helmet at that measured point 152mm up from your collar bone. Now you have your ear canal location on the out side of your helmet. All you need to do is measure that point relative the the bottom of the helmet to transfer that measurement to the inside. This will give you a good elevation setting for your speaker. now all you need to do is make adjustments forward and back to see if there is a best location for sound quality and volume. You could do a similar measurement for the front to back location by having someone do a projection measurement to your ear canal from the bridge of your nose. then put on the helmet and measure from the bridge of your nose to the front rim of your chine guard (if you have a full face helmet). Then just add the to distances to use as a front to back location of your ear canal relative to the helmet. Use this as a front to back setting for the speaker. Now you have a starting point to work with.....Its at least something to work with to really be sure its the location of the speakers causing the diminished sound and volume quality and not the actual quality of the speakers themselves.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Reactions: beck
1 - 14 of 14 Posts