Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what I encountered with my Sena 20S when I went though rain for the first time on my 9 day tour. I must say that their technical support has been responsive and helpful, but I have read a bunch of information on the WWW about people having similar issues. My Sena SMH10's have worked like champs for several years through the most brutal conditions.

Technical Support

I purchased a pair of 20S communicators through Amazon, fulfilled by rHea AuTos, and I have encountered a problem with one of the units. The very first time that I encountered a rainstorm one of the units went haywire. The unit was stuck in a random loop asking me for group intercom or cancel. The unit was totally none responsive to any button taps. After the unit dried out, it would lock up randomly. I did a complete factory reset, flashed it to the new 1.4 firmware, deleted all pairings, and stated fresh, but the lockup persisted. I can turn it off and back on, but it locks up randomly.

I have a pair of SMH10's that have never given me a problem, and I would like to get an RMA with shipping information to have this unit repaired or replaced so that I can continue enjoying your product. I am attaching a copy of my purchase receipt.
Kindest regards,

Doug Holt

Comments
User photo AG
Sena Technologies
Hi,

Please perform a fault reset. See attached. Thanks! Let me know if this helps!

Just to confirm, only ONE 20s unit is faulty?

I also need the following information from you:

Your first and last name:
Your shipping address:
Your Phone #:
Serial # for defective/faulty unit only:

Thanks!

AG

May 13, 2015, 10:53 AM
User photo Doug Holt
AG,

Thank you for your reply. I ran a fault reset and bench tested the unit for some time and it seems to be working properly. I will have a better idea after a real world test ride this weekend. The concern that I still have is that the unit did not stand up to a rainstorm, and I am concerned about the long-term damage that water is going to have on the unit, or if I am going to continue to have this issue everytime I ride in the rain. The other unit did not have any issues, whatsoever.

Information:
Doug Holt

S/N: ************

May 13, 2015, 2:09 PM
User photo AG
Sena Technologies
Thanks and let us know of your findings after the real world test.
Sena devices are water resistant not water proof, so exercise caution when riding although they may be used in differing inclement of weather. I'd say not to ride during bad weather days such as stormy/heavy rain weather.

Not to worry your unit is under warranty for 2 years after purchase or via serial number.

Thanks!

May 13, 2015, 2:40 PM
User photo Doug Holt
I try not to ride in the rain, but on 9 day motorcycle tours, I tend to get caught in rainstorms from time to time. I understand that they are WATER RESISTANT, not water proof. I have used the SHM10's for years through many rainstorms, the Sahara desert, snow in the Pyrenees mountains, and snow and rain in Canadian Rockies without a hitch, so I was a bit miffed that the very first rain I encountered, my 20S went awry.

Thank you for your help and reassurance that you stand by your product. I chose your products above all the rest and hope to continue doing so.

Doug

May 14, 2015, 11:08 AM

·
Registered
558 Posts
Yeah I've read about that on the 20S, the only reason they can't be 100% waterproof is the jog dial, you just can't get a perfect seal on those. It is weird that only one of the units was affected though. Let us know how this progresses!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I have some smh10s right now and they have the jog dial...must be the newer version. I'm going to be riding in the rain tomorrow since I don't have a car atm. I'll see how it holds up.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
with how i had to wire my SMH10r into my helmet - there's really no easy way to disconnect it - particularly on the fly - i guess i could find where i connected it all into the helmet and disconnect there but that kind of sucks.

Gotten caught in the rain a few times but no major rain storm - unit still works like a charm. Sucks to hear about your experience DNFDOUG but at least they are replacing it for you.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I am on my 3rd set of SMH20s units as the first set had no radio reception so I had to pay to get they posted back to the dealer in Germany and 5 weeks later a new set arrived with exactly the same issue.
Found out via Sena forum that there was a known issue with the units but that you had to contact Sena direct.
I spoke to them about the issue and they raised a RMA but warned me at the time that the units are not water proof and that any water damage would not be covered.
So had to pay postage again back them and also postage back to me.......

3rd set seem to work fine, but am now concerned about water damage as we move into winter here, fingers crossed they hold up.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I've been thinking about getting the 10 over the 20, is there any reason I'd want the 20 instead?

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The plastic casing on the SMH10 covers the edge of the jog dial, which gives it better water protection than the 20S.

The 20S has better intercom range due to the flip up antenna, and the 20S has a more robust software package allowing background music while connected to another intercom. I never listen to the FM, so it is not a valuable feature for me. I am able to stream XM through my phone on both headsets.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I can't talk to someone while listening to music on the 10s?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I can't talk to someone while listening to music on the 10s?
Correct. It's one or the other. Or at least I haven't figured it out if it is a feature. The 10 doesn't have the app interface the 20s does so it's a bit harder with some tasks.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Might as well get the 20s then, I don't ride in the rain that often. Thanks for the info guys

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On the 10, music is paused when you are connected to another intercom, forcing you to tap the dial on and off. I connect with the 20 to my wife on her bike and forget about it. I can quickly speak into the microphone hands-free to warn her or talk with her. The only downside is coughing and sneezing are a rude awakening, or when I forgetfully sing out loud to my music, which gives my wife a big laugh.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Peggy and I are enjoying the 20s system a lot. I don't normally listen to music while riding and I sure ain't gonna answer the phone, so the system is being used in a pretty basic configuration by me, but this is the first time we've had communications between bikes, and I really like it. Haven't had them in the rain yet either, so I don't know how well they will function if they get wet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi! :)

The plastic casing on the SMH10 covers the edge of the jog dial, which gives it better water protection than the 20S
I don't think that this is the problem, because what you describe that the device does
asking me for group intercom
is nothing one can do using the JogDial but what you can do using the Ambient Mode Button on the bottom of the mounting clamp, therefore I'd say maybe the water went in the clamp and shorted the button?

Have you tried switching the units, plugging them in "the other" helmet? Just so that you can see what causes the problem, the unit itself or the clamp...

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Reading through their support threads, many people are having the same issues. I did a fault reset, and afterwards, it locked up once on my next ride, which was far better than before. I am not stranger to electronics, and I used the SMH10's for years without a problem of this nature. I believe that the 20S is a problematic design. The initial launch of the product was delayed several times, which is never a good sign. Would I recommend the 20S or buy another pair? No.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The initial launch of the product was delayed several times, which is never a good sign.
I wouldn't say that that is a sign when it comes to Sena: They never(!) hold a deadline, they were always(!) late.
With the inital SMH10, all their firmware updates, the 20S, you name it.

If I remember right, there was only ONE product that they were not late with, and that was because they didn't advertise prior to selling it. *lol* (The SMH10R, as far as I remember, but I'm not sure anymore, that was some years ago.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts