Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Hi-Viz and Matte Grey MT-09
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike has developed an issue where the mirror on the right side will not stay put. The stalk will twist when I reach highway speeds or have a strong headwind. It's easy enough to straighten this out after the highway to restore visibility but I'd really like to get this fixed. I'm pinching pennies pretty tight with the house purchase so I'm trying to fix the current mirrors rather than buy new ones. I think the nut in the stalk is just a little loose, but I can't get any of my sockets in there to tighten it (and definitely no wrench!). Even my 1/4" drive thin-walled deep sockets don't fit. The locknut underneath the mirror stalk is tight, so the only thing I can think of is the nut inside the stalk.

Anyone have any ideas that doesn't involve destroying the mirrors or replacing them with something else?

·
Registered
2018 MT 09
459 Posts
Lol, I had the same question a ways back. The only answers I found was the mill down a socket to fit into the stem. I went the bar end route as I was having problems seeing anything but myself in my mirrors anyways.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I had a lathe, I'd be far more open to that idea. I'd have to ugly-grind it down after finding a victim donor socket, and it'd be pretty useless for anything else.

·
Registered
2018 MT 09
459 Posts
Yup, if you had a wheel grinder it probably wouldn't be too hard. I'd find the cheapest piece of junk socket I could find. I had the same reaction. I currently need to make some custom spacers so a small lathe is on my purchase list since it keeps coming up that it would be handy

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
621 Posts
Know anyone with a 3d printer - I know it wouldn't be super sturdy but a 3d printed socket in ABS or something would probably get the job done....I have my stock mirrors that I took off if you want one....

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know anyone with a 3D printer, sadly. That's on my list of wants, though. I think I'll probably just deal with the loosey-goosey mirror for just a little longer. Once the house closes, I'll have a little bit more wiggle room for money again.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I don't know anyone with a 3D printer, sadly. That's on my list of wants, though. I think I'll probably just deal with the loosey-goosey mirror for just a little longer. Once the house closes, I'll have a little bit more wiggle room for money again.
Get a cheap set of Evercraft metric nut drivers from NAPA. They fit and snug that little 'sum Biscuit right up.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: a bit late, but I did get this resolved. I went to NAPA as mentioned by NVC, but I didn't find an Evercraft nut driver there. I just bought the cheapest, thinnest 10mm deep socket. Still didn't work. Using my bench grinder and a power drill, I ground it down to absolutely crazy thin levels and was able to get it to fit that way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts