Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking to sell my fz after only having it for about two months with only 1k on it. It's a great bike I'm just looking to try a super sport. I've ridden my friends r1 and the bike is amazing. I was wondering if I was to get an r6 would it feel like a downgrade in power from the FZ? The fz is fast enough so if the r6 will be close I would rather save the money and not buy the r1. Here is a photo of the fz that will be posted in the FS section. http://flic.kr/p/ncXCXd

·
Registered
213 Posts
The FZ has more everyday useable power compared to the R6 since it makes a lot of torque across most of it's powerband and will accelerate quickly with a flick of the wrist no matter the gear or RPM. 600cc supersports tend to feel pretty gutless in comparison until you rev to at least 10-12k RPMs. Even some of the liter bikes feel a little soft in the low to mid rpm range compared to the FZ, but they really rip in the upper rev range. If you insist on getting rid of the FZ for a supersport, I would go with the R1 over the R6. What was it about the R1 that you loved so much more than your FZ? Obviously the R1 has better suspension, but you may be satisfied with the FZ after some suspension upgrades without having to take the hit in value by selling a bike only 2 months after you bought it.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I would stick with the FZ or get the R1. As said before...the FZ is usable power, the R series is made for racing. But it all comes down to preference, and I'm just sharing my opinion...all great ways to get around. The liter bike will have more low end torque than the 6 and it will also have the high end...that you should never reasonably use especially on public roads. But again it's your bike.

·
Registered
833 Posts
This might sound stupid but oh well... If you are young and can handle the riding position of the R1 for your everyday motorcycle, do it. Do it while you can. For me, as I get older, I still love acceleration, still love riding the canyons and still like a little flash also. But as I get older I dislike the weight on my wrists and don't like to have to ride insane RPMs on the street. So, the power to weight ratio led me to the FZ-09. At this point I have no desire to go 180mph, but I still like to get to about 100mph as quickly as possible. Bottom line, sew your oats, go with the R1. You probably will appreciate a bike like the FZ-09 at some point. Heck, the 847cc Yamaha is the smallest displacement bike I have owned since my 1986 GSXR750 (bought new in 1990), but yet plenty of street power.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Yeah same here. I hurt my back some time ago and I can't stand to be on a super sport longer than 30 minutes before the back pain takes all the joy from the ride. So the FZ-09 is perfect because it has same HP as a 600, same wet weight, and more torque. Perfect! But I have been around motorcycles long enough to know that used bikes are where it is at, and I would only buy a new bike if I planned to keep it for at least 10 years. Otherwise your throwing money away.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
THe R1 will be much more rideable in all circumstances than the R6. The R6 does not come to life until you wring it's neck.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
My only comment is that your FZ looks very nice...I love the lighter blue wheels and blacked out forks...very cool looking. Here is a thought...2 bikes?

·
Registered
277 Posts
What year R1 are you looking at? Having both an R1 and FZ side by side, I can say that you can use much much more of the FZ during normal everyday riding. You can't realistically get the R1 out of 2nd or 3rd gear on the street unless you're running very low RPM. For me I got sick of that feeling, so I made it a track only bike so now when it gets to run it's actually used (even though I'm still slow on the track...haha)

They're just to totally different machines. Both great. But I'd say the R1 is like a scalpel and the FZ is like a swiss army knife, if you catch my meaning.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My main reason to switch is the wind factor on the highway. After about 65mph the wind beats the shit out of you and we are always on the highway. Even with the ermax windscreen it's still just too much for me

·
Registered
35 Posts
why not try the fjr 1300 if your sick of the wind? I have tried a 2013 r1 along side a 2013 fjr, and the fjr has more low end torque with a more comfortable riding position but with great wind protection. not to mention that the r1 felt like the engine was filled with marbles where the fjr was buttery smooth.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The FZ has more everyday useable power compared to the R6 since it makes a lot of torque across most of it's powerband and will accelerate quickly with a flick of the wrist no matter the gear or RPM. 600cc supersports tend to feel pretty gutless in comparison until you rev to at least 10-12k RPMs. Even some of the liter bikes feel a little soft in the low to mid rpm range compared to the FZ, but they really rip in the upper rev range. If you insist on getting rid of the FZ for a supersport, I would go with the R1 over the R6. What was it about the R1 that you loved so much more than your FZ? Obviously the R1 has better suspension, but you may be satisfied with the FZ after some suspension upgrades without having to take the hit in value by selling a bike only 2 months after you bought it.
I have owned a GSXR600, 1000, Track ready 03 R1 and an R6. The raw power that you get in A off the line from the FZ-09 is what I want. I have pushed my liter bikes up to 180, it's not that I am scared but I like to torque that you get from the FZ. Good luck on your super sport endevors OP. Just saying if you are looking for power that really will put a smile on your face get the R1 just BE CAREFUL and get used to the bike. Until you get use to that R1 or R6 drive it like you are sitting on dynamite. Give yourself some time to feel the difference and take your time. Those are bikes to be respected, revered and feared but most importantly enjoyed!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Coming off an FZ the R6 would feel like a massive downgrade unless you were comfortable with the idea of constantly keeping the RPMs above 10k--even in day to day commuting. That's where it makes all its power. Below that it doesn't feel much different from a 250, TBH. Bear in mind the R6 and FZ-09 make roughly the same amount of horsepower (give or take) and are roughly the same weight. But the FZ makes a LOT more torque. It makes more torque right off idle at 2500-3000 RPM than the R6 does at its peak.

The way the FZ makes its power makes it superior for off-track use than either of these bikes, but if you're dead set on getting rid of it for one, get the R1.

If you're solely doing it for wind protection options, your best bet would be to lower the bars (clubmans perhaps) and combine that with the windscreen. The touring model from MRA, specifically.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I tried a friends R6 and R1. First thing is for me I'm tall and those bikes just cramp you so much. Second is the R6 handles great but you need to constantly rev the heck out of it to have any fun, it's got top end power for sure, but no torque. The R1 gave me the impression it was heavier then it really was, handling felt top heavy. Would be a great bike to drag race it does have loads of power and torque, but not my first pick for the twisties (nor 2nd or 3rd...or 4th).

I've had many bikes of all configurations. And I must say I just love the FZ9 for it's torque on tap at all RPMs, even in B mode it pulls at least twice as much as the R6 bellow 7000RPM. Handles like a bicycle too, and has the best legroom I've had in quite some time. If I had a race track in my backyard, I'd probably get an R6. For public roads I find sports bikes boring unless you're willing to lose your license every time you go out for a ride.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
LOL i know the 600's take a bit longer than the fz to get going but you guys talk like it is more than 10 seconds per gear. I mean from 5-70 on any of the supersport 600's is around 3 seconds. 2nd gear from 70-100 is another 3 seconds. It is noticeably more bogged down compared to a 750 or the fz. But still, we are talking a matter of seconds. I personally think the 600's are easier to ride because there is much less of a chance to power wheelie. You can lean over and crank the throttle and just pure acceleration. Here is a stock 07 gsxr 600 accelerating. Count the seconds. I think he goes WOT at 13mph.

·
Registered
957 Posts
LOL i know the 600's take a bit longer than the fz to get going but you guys talk like it is more than 10 seconds per gear. I mean from 5-70 on any of the supersport 600's is around 3 seconds. 2nd gear from 70-100 is another 3 seconds. It is noticeably more bogged down compared to a 750 or the fz. But still, we are talking a matter of seconds. I personally think the 600's are easier to ride because there is much less of a chance to power wheelie. You can lean over and crank the throttle and just pure acceleration. Here is a stock 07 gsxr 600 accelerating. Count the seconds. I think he goes WOT at 13mph.

It's not about time but about RPM. On my old ZX6R, which had stronger midrange than the R6, you had to make an effort to always keep the RPMs above 7k, which was very difficult when you didn't already know the layout of the road and it was full of blind corners, like the mountain roads we have here. It made me feel like the bike truly belonged only on the racetrack. Working to keep the RPMs up at all times and running the risk of losing sufficient power to negotiate turns if it dropped too low (which on my bike was below about 5k or so) made riding a lot more work and a lot less fun. The only time the situation ever changed was when I knew the road well enough to know the right gear going into each turn before the turn even came up.

·
Registered
957 Posts

It's not about time but about RPM. On my old ZX6R, which had stronger midrange than the R6, you had to make an effort to always keep the RPMs above 7k, which was very difficult when you didn't already know the layout of the road and it was full of blind corners, like the mountain roads we have here. It made me feel like the bike truly belonged only on the racetrack. Working to keep the RPMs up at all times and running the risk of losing sufficient power to negotiate turns if it dropped too low (which on my bike was below about 5k or so) made riding a lot more work and a lot less fun. The only time the situation ever changed was when I knew the road well enough to know the right gear going into each turn before the turn even came up. They're easier to ride straight, but in terms of cornering i the twisties I think they're the most difficult bike to ride on the face of the earth simply due to the powerband and the degree of micromanagement involved.

·
Registered
227 Posts
And most importantly, look at what speeds you need to go to really enjoy those inline-4 600cc engines...anywhere close to legal speeds, these bikes are as boring as it gets, I'd have more fun with a Harley hehe

1 - 20 of 37 Posts