Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is kind of a long story, and it all started a few months ago. I received a call from a young man, we'll call; "Pat". Pat is a friend of my daughter in Florida. He called me and told me he was on his way south, back to Florida, and that he'd like to meet me. I invited him to stay the night in our lavish camper, with my wife and I, and our six dogs. We are building in the SW Virginia Mountains. My son is staying in my house in Jacksonville, N.C., but that's another story. Anyway, Pat comes over with a KLR he'd bought as a fly-in-ride in Maine. It was his first street bike, and he was on his maiden voyage back to Florida. We hit it off, and he ended up staying three days, calling work to delay his return due to mechanical difficulties with the new bike. We rode the Blue Ridge Parkway, the Snake (Mountain City, Tennessee), and many of the awesome local roads we have; that's why we moved here, after all. After a great time, Pat rides back to Florida without further incident. Fast forward three months; I get a call from Pat. He is planning a trip to South America, and would like to go through his bike with me prior to his departure. I welcome him to come up again, feeling partly responsible for his current addiction. I get a call on the day he's to arrive, he'd broken down in South Carolina (for real this time). After renting a truck, he arrived about five hours later. After pulling the bike in the garage, we began disassembly of the errant scooter. First we pulled the Caribou cases, body panels and tank. It was then we found the bulging at the forward right valve cover. Upon its' removal, we discovered the malady. The exhaust cam keepers had broken in half, allowing the cam to move about in the head and valve cover, grinding a path of glory. After draining the oil (all of about a cup remaining), we determined that a simple head replacement probably wouldn't do it. We started looking at replacement engines, a 2008 was the only likely candidate. 2008 was a bad year for KLR's, extreme oil consumption among one of its' most prominent features. It was then that I had an epiphany; sell Pat my Beemer for the trip. Now my Beemer is a true thing of beauty, at least from my vantage point. It is a 1995, the first year the Oilhead GS was introduced to the US market. It still has the plastic 6.6 gallon tank, warts and all. With just under 40k, it's just broken in. It has a K&N air filter, Dobeck fuel management, Two Brothers pipe (15 lbs weight savings), Galfer brake lines, all three Vario bags, and ABS removed (43.7 lbs weight savings). I'm an aircraft inspector by trade, and former part time bike mechanic (BMW, Guzzi, Triumph, Royal Enfield, and anything a customer might limp in). To say I'm diligent about maintenance, would be an understatement. The GS was ready to go, just add rider. Still lamenting the loss of my beloved, Pat and I spent the next few days riding the local roads, both dirt and street. I felt this would help him acclimate to the new wheels. He left two days ago to go back to Florida, to say goodbye to his family and friends. He'll be returning next week to go to Buzzards Bottom 7 Rally (posted earlier), where we'll ride the roads Boone N.C. roads, and meet some very interesting people. Who knows, perhaps he'll meet someone looking for an adventure. If I only weren't building my house!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts