Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
2,038 Posts
BMW isn't any better. Do a search on all the issues with the s1000rr? Maybe a 22 MT10 if reliability is a concern.....assuming you can get pass the look. :LOL:
I grew up owning and loving Euro bikes. It's a different landscape now. Euro bikes seem to push performance right to the edge and are beautiful. There are always people that throw out how reliable their particular bike is but the reality is that en-total, statistics show that they have reliability problems. not to mention being a smaller presence in the US market, less parts, dealers and mechanics, and then there is affordability, they are expensive to buy parts for, service and fix. That being said, when I win Megamillions on Friday I am going to buy one of these.....the yellow one.

Superveloce - Racing Motorcycles - MV Agusta

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
My buddy's ktm has been at the dealer for months waiting on parts for a cam cover gasket leak with only a few thousand miles on the bike bought new. I want to try other countries of origin, but Yamaha has never left me stranded. 18k miles on two snowmobiles and now 6800 on my '22 SP. When it's -15 and you're 100 miles from home at midnight, you need something that will without a doubt get you home.
My superduke has just under 40,000ks on it- the last few thousand have been mine.
Ktm gets about 20hp more out of a v twin as bmw get from their inline 4 1000r so it has been pushed to the limit. The superduke also makes 20%more torque. Thats what makes it special.
My mt09s were more reliable, but my superduke is, just, more.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Was thinking of selling my mt09sp
I didn't read this post at all.. all I saw is I want to sell it at a discount price.. SHUT UP EVERYONE. I WANT TO BUY IT.

So when we meeting?

·
Registered
166 Posts
My superduke has just under 40,000ks on it- the last few thousand have been mine.
Ktm gets about 20hp more out of a v twin as bmw get from their inline 4 1000r so it has been pushed to the limit. The superduke also makes 20%more torque. Thats what makes it special.
My mt09s were more reliable, but my superduke is, just, more.
Yea they do rock. But 11k for this reliable beast is fantastic :)

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Yea they do rock. But 11k for this reliable beast is fantastic :)
The 09s are brilliant. Upgrade brakes and suspension and they embarrass "premium" bikes. Theres a reason i have had 3 before upgrading- i just wanted more hp.
My sdr does 3rd gear, 100kph (60mph) power wheelies. I have missed vulgar displays of horsepower.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'll put in my $0.02. I have owned and raced newer liter bikes. My last race bike was a 2018 ZX10R and I had a 15' S1000RR for the street. I now race a 11' R6 and my street bike is a 15' FZ09. Not to sound arrogant but I could afford a euro naked fine but the insane amount of performance they have is not usable on the street. I can outride just about anyone on the street with my $5K FZ09 no matter what bike they have. There are not many riders that can extract the extra HP out of the new liter bikes and then if you can, doing it on the street is a death sentence.

You can make your MT09 a lot better. I enjoy the reliability of the Yamaha, cheap cost on parts, and the smile factor of hurting feelings of all the supersports and hypernakeds on the street. However, don't think a better bike makes you a better rider.

FWIW, I do not discredit how good the euro bikes are. I still may end up buying another one day. Now, if you can own both...

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
2,038 Posts
The 09s are brilliant. Upgrade brakes and suspension and they embarrass "premium" bikes. Theres a reason i have had 3 before upgrading- i just wanted more hp.
My sdr does 3rd gear, 100kph (60mph) power wheelies. I have missed vulgar displays of horsepower.
I love 09s but I traded up to a 10 for this exact reason.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Long time lurker and kick myself for selling my 09, but the bike was sold to a friend and I still get to see it and ride it on occasion.

I sold the FZ09 for a 17' Tuono RR, then bought an 18' Street Triple R because I was triple depressed.
6 months later I sold the Triumph(electrical woes) and picked up a 19' SDR.

Point is, not once did I ever consider an S1000R. I've heard okay things, but nothing really stands out with it other than the cool red/white/blue colorway you could get.
If you're dropping the coin and accepting $1500 valve check intervals, you want something notable. Whether that be a unique gut-wrenching GP bike sound or backflip torque on command is what did it for me.

As far as maintenance, it is just for the level of bike, but I've had no major issues with the Tuono or SDR in over 2 years and 20k miles between them.

Good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
@Deeptuna
7 years ago when my brother was looking another bike, thats the conclusion we came to. Neither of us got "that" feeling after riding a 1000r. He ended up with a tuono.
And after my 09's, i finally got a 2017 SDR.
I had a heavily modified vfr 800 streetfighter, V4, gear driven cams. It had that sound.
A V4 tuono has it.
An MT10 has it. An MT09 has it.
The sdr has it.
The kinda sound that makes you want to ride when you hear it.
For me, the 1000r just doesnt.

·
Super Moderator
5,825 Posts
My buddy's ktm has been at the dealer for months waiting on parts for a cam cover gasket leak with only a few thousand miles on the bike bought new. I want to try other countries of origin, but Yamaha has never left me stranded. 18k miles on two snowmobiles and now 6800 on my '22 SP. When it's -15 and you're 100 miles from home at midnight, you need something that will without a doubt get you home.
If it's -15° and I'm 100 miles from home.....I want something with 4 doors and a great heater! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Kluthage421

·
Super Moderator
5,825 Posts
You must not have snowmobiled in Northern Wisconsin/Michigan. Quite a rush! 100mph+ across frozen lakes with an MT-10 motor underneath you :)
You are correct.....never been on a snowmobile anywhere/any place...in my life. I will say that they look like a TON of fun....but I'd have to find someplace to ride one where it was at least 70°....;)

·
Registered
166 Posts
You are correct.....never been on a snowmobile anywhere/any place...in my life. I will say that they look like a TON of fun....but I'd have to find someplace to ride one where it was at least 70°....;)
You get quite hot with all the gear on. Snowmobiling gear is ridiculously warm and all sleds have heated grips and most heated seats now. If you're hustling around the twistys you'll have to stop to cool off...at a bar...watching football...drinking beer :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Was thinking of selling my mt09sp for a 2022 BMW s1000R, not sure if anyone here has rode them back to back and what the thoughts were on that. The main thing that bothers me about the MT09 is there is no steering damper and aftermarket options for 2021 and above are limited in selection. Also really like the screen on the BMW.
I found the pegs really high compared to the MT. Engine was buzzy and a bit soulless. It just felt like a sportsbike with flat bars and no fairing. If that's what you want then you'll be very happy with it.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts