Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was thinking of selling my mt09sp for a 2022 BMW s1000R, not sure if anyone here has rode them back to back and what the thoughts were on that. The main thing that bothers me about the MT09 is there is no steering damper and aftermarket options for 2021 and above are limited in selection. Also really like the screen on the BMW.

·
Administrator
3,019 Posts
Totally different bikes in my opinion, but I haven't ridden a S1000R.
I too would like to try one out, as I bet the power will be much more brutal by comparison.
There are a lot of videos of them on track, and they look like a blast.

The S1000R has a .36 hp/lbs. ratio vs. the MT09 which is .28 hp/lbs.

This looks like the overall weight difference alone of +35lbs on the S1000R will make it a rowdy rider... tons of fun.

Let us know if you get a chance to test ride.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
2,030 Posts
Was thinking of selling my mt09sp for a 2022 BMW s1000R, not sure if anyone here has rode them back to back and what the thoughts were on that. The main thing that bothers me about the MT09 is there is no steering damper and aftermarket options for 2021 and above are limited in selection. Also really like the screen on the BMW.
You may as well compare a Harley to a Vespa. Entirely different category of motorcycle. I'd like to see the response of 21 and 22 Yamaha owners regarding aftermarket options. MT09 is a perennial best seller and always a leader in aftermarket accessories.

Just met a guy on a 2 year old S1000, he said it was the fastest motorcycle he had ever ridden. I also ride with a BMW adventure owner, he loves it, except for the $450 oil changes. Then there is the price of BMW brand accessories. See below. For 10K , 12k, 15K you can buy the Beemer but it still won't be in the same category as Yamaha......Best reliability in the industry. I can see the appeal but that's a lot of disposable income to dedicate to a toy. You'd better be riding over 10K miles a year to get your moneys worth. Again, I think it's kind of ridiculous to compare these 2 motorcycles. Show us the pictures of you on your new BMW. We'd love to see. I'm not a hater but I really love Japanese value and especially Yamaha.

My heated grips were about $100.

Rectangle Font Parallel Electronic device Screenshot

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
Selling because it doesn't have a steering damper? Is it unstable?
I haven't had a damper on mine for 7 years, don't need one.
I do need an S1000R though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Selling because it doesn't have a steering damper? Is it unstable?
I haven't had a damper on mine for 7 years, don't need one.
I do need an S1000R though.
I had hit a uneven section of pavement on the highway that almost caused a tank slapper, do not want that experience again. The front end feels quite light on the highway and I dont fully trust it not sliding out on sharper turns, although the second part may just be my skill level.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
2,030 Posts
I had hit a uneven section of pavement on the highway that almost caused a tank slapper, do not want that experience again. The front end feels quite light on the highway and I dont fully trust it not sliding out on sharper turns, although the second part may just be my skill level.
You question your own riding skill level on a bike with premium suspension and decide the solution is to get a new motorcycle that makes 50 horsepower more. Go for it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I've test ridden a 2018 S1000R. It's a fair bit meatier and feels a whole lot faster than the MT09, they really are quite mental. I found the pegs really high compared to the MT. Engine was buzzy and a bit soulless. It just felt like a sportsbike with flat bars and no fairing. If that's what you want then you'll be very happy with it.

Agree with others that they don't really sit in the same category.

No way would I say the BMW is worth the extra $9k though.

You best get a test ride.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've test ridden a 2018 S1000R. It's a fair bit meatier and feels a whole lot faster than the MT09, they really are quite mental. I found the pegs really high compared to the MT. Engine was buzzy and a bit soulless. It juat felt like a sportsbike with flat bars and no fairing. If that's what you want then you'll be very happy with it.

Agree with others that they don't really sit in the same category.

No way would I say the BMW is worth the extra $9k though.

You best get a test ride.
Thanks for the helpful feedback, I think I will just get the Hyperpro or Matris steering damper and call it a day, if anyone has them and can weigh in on how they are I would appreciate it. I agree it seems like a lot more money for not a crazy amount more, just the adaptive dampers and overall look is very appealing.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
2,030 Posts
Thanks for the helpful feedback, I think I will just get the Hyperpro or Matris steering damper and call it a day, if anyone has them and can weigh in on how they are I would appreciate it. I agree it seems like a lot more money for not a crazy amount more, just the adaptive dampers and overall look is very appealing.
Who set up your bike. A well set up MT09 SP is almost like a weapon. If you don't have a professional quality setup on your bike, I wouldn't spend money on a steering damper. It doesn't sound like the solution to the issue you described.

I ride an MT10 with some MT09 guys and they are all faster than me. I'm pretty sure I'm faster in a straight line though. My point....you're on a great motorcycle.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My buddy's ktm has been at the dealer for months waiting on parts for a cam cover gasket leak with only a few thousand miles on the bike bought new. I want to try other countries of origin, but Yamaha has never left me stranded. 18k miles on two snowmobiles and now 6800 on my '22 SP. When it's -15 and you're 100 miles from home at midnight, you need something that will without a doubt get you home.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts