Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a tuning option available, with a (at least partly) friendly user interface, that allows the user to re-calibrate the fuel and ignition tables of the stock ECU? I wish to custom tune the bike's engine management on the dyno, myself.

Can this be done with existing software available, or would it require changing out the complete engine management system (not worth it)?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Yamaha doesn't want people messing with the ECU, so they make it as unfriendly as possible. If you want user friendly, go with PCV.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
My apologies for not reading more into that thread. I simply glanced at it and for whatever reason shrugged it off as a mail-order canned tune option.
power commander only does fuel. ignition is an optional extra. the flash-tune software and interface does more than just fuel and ignition, but can be daunting for someone who just wants something quick and easy to throw on their bike. for someone who likes to get down and dirty and break things, its great.

go to flash-tune's web site, download and play with the software. you'll be able to see and do everything but actually flash the ecu. this way you can decide whether you want to spend the $450 for the flashing hardware.

power commander's advantage is the ability to tune in real time (or close to it). with flash-tune, you need to have all of your fuel and ignition and throttle maps all ready to go before you can flash the ecu to see how well it actually works on the bike.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I'm using the EJK controller. There 3 buttons, 6 modes and it does everything other fuel controller does. Can be adjusted on the fly, no computer needed :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
flash-tune sounds a lot more up my alley. I am not looking for any preset tune adjustments or anything. I am looking for complete access to the fuel and ignition tables to entirely remap the engine calibration myself. In the old days, this would require an aftermarket standalone EMS. But the last decade it has become very popular for ECU software companies to "crack" the factory ECUs so that those who do not need the aftermarket race features in their ECU, can accomplish their tuning needs by remapping the factory ECU.

this would not be daunting for me at all! i do this sort of thing in the automotive performance field on the regular. I am just new to motorcycle tuning, and need to get up-to-speed on the ways things generally get done on bikes.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
flash-tune sounds a lot more up my alley. I am not looking for any preset tune adjustments or anything. I am looking for complete access to the fuel and ignition tables to entirely remap the engine calibration myself.
you'll get that with the flash-tune interface. the 09 has a ride by wire throttle, so you'll also have complete access to the throttle maps.

if you try out the software you can see all of the parameters you get to play with.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
This looks like everything I am looking for. Now I need to dig around and see if I can find some explanations on some of these tables, if available.

Edit: I take that back, all these tables make perfect sense and are very easy to read. I only wonder if the load scale in the tables is absolute KPA value or a percentage of MAP sensor voltage

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I take that back, all these tables make perfect sense and are very easy to read. I only wonder if the load scale in the tables is absolute KPA value or a percentage of MAP sensor voltage
yes, the scale goes from -1.1 to 100 - that threw me off too at first. i spoke to flash-tune and they said it was a scaling problem. it should be kpa.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm using the EJK controller. There 3 buttons, 6 modes and it does everything other fuel controller does. Can be adjusted on the fly, no computer needed :)
and is also generalized and non specific, even on the dyno to tune is a pain in the ass aka not very efficient and definitely not optimal but if its that or nothing its better than nothing, usually.

op:
you can buy flashtune and spend all that money, or buy a flash thats already been developed and perfected for your bike on the dyno and been done hundreds of times already with perfect results. or if you just wanna tinker, by all means, have at it! :)

·
Registered
957 Posts
and is also generalized and non specific, even on the dyno to tune is a pain in the ass aka not very efficient and definitely not optimal but if its that or nothing its better than nothing, usually.

op:
you can buy flashtune and spend all that money, or buy a flash thats already been developed and perfected for your bike on the dyno and been done hundreds of times already with perfect results. or if you just wanna tinker, by all means, have at it! :)
The EJK seems like its ideal for people who just want to slap it on and smooth things out and never mess with it again, it seems (which happens to be me lol). For anyone else, I think most any other option would be better.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts

op:
Other than reading your crystal ball, do you have anything to back that up? I do have data and dyno run to back up everything I said and did.

Bring it on Bro... been there, done that!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Other than reading your crystal ball, do you have anything to back that up? I do have data and dyno run to back up everything I said and did.

Bring it on Bro... been there, done that!
hows the tuning resolution on an EJK vs juicebox pro vs bazzaz or power commander? that's sarcasm cuz i know its less from left to right. if you managed a flat air fuel ratio on a dyno across the board then kudos to your tuner, he/she/it did a fantastic job for you and or got lucky and or your bike is one of the easy ones, or if it's you kudos to you. generally, this is not the case with these types of fuel controllers as you dont know exactly how much fuel at what rpm or throttle % you're actually adjust, you're just hitting buttons. excel spreadsheets on a laptop on a dyno are a bit better than guess n check after hitting a few buttons here and there.

also if you read what i wrote i didnt say yours wasnt what you claimed it to be.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Actually I had the PCV plug in with the zero map and the EJK plug in line.

I have rpms, Map sensor, gear, speed, tps, afr data log @ 0.05sec data logging rate.

The EJK was more stable on the data @ WOT power shift through the gears with much less spikes at every shift. The on/off throttle was even smoother. All was done with Autotune & LCD-200 plug in. Data was analyzed using a proper software with graphics, not an excel spreadsheet.

The base map on the FZ09 is not that far off. It just need a little bit here and there and the EJK does a fantastic job at doing what it's suppose too. All that was back up on the dyno. The trim numbers pretty much did remain the same, the only thing I did massage a bit were the shift point that are now bang on. AFR are perfect at WOT and drive ability is excellent considering the close loop AFR.

Then again, that was nothing I pull up out of nowhere or some sort of urban legends. I did my homework and if you need any of the data and thibk you are up to the task, I will be more than please to email it to you.

Also, sold over 20 of those so far and everyone seems happy. That's all that matter to me.

By the way, I personally did all the fine-tuning. EJK did a great job at pre setting all the parameters and I did the rest.

·
Registered
187 Posts
that's awesome, super glad it worked for you and you had all the tools to use it properly and that your bikes air fuel ratio is happily at a flat 13.4ish:1 across the board. congrats on being one of the very few to have a dobeck performance product work out for ya

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
once again, didnt say impossible, just very few. i've seen more messed up tunes off of those style of programmers than any other
Not sure witch of their controller you did use but there's a huge difference between the base model Gen3 and 3.5 I use the 3.5 and the correction rate is much superior. It can add or lean AFR. Not claiming this is the best thing since slice bread... but for some reason it work great on the FZ09.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts