Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I own a 2009 Concours and 2013 Honda NC700X. Thinking about trading up the NC for the FZ-09. The $$'s are acceptable.

Just looking for general thoughts about this bike.

I'm 40yo male, 6'1" 275 lbs. Looking to the FZ for commuting and fun in the country. Keeping Connie for the big trips.

Would just like to get thoughts, feedback, and things to consider from folks.

Much thanks.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
asking a forum of FZ owners what they think about their bike is kind of like asking a group of iPhone owners what they think about Samsung :)

With that being said there are probably 100 threads of people asking the same thing - pursuing those in the intro section most likely will give you a sense of the common answers.

Net - it's a great bike - fantastic engine

Based on your weight and height - suspension is pretty critical to upgrade - you can spend a lot or little depending how handy you are (e.g. retorfitting a used shock off something like a ZX10R or buying a new shock from Penske or Ohlins.

Throttle response on 14s are snatchy but this has been somewhat rectified on the 2015s.

personally the rest of the gripes come down to personal preference and pain points (e.g. seat, saddle bags) etc.

If you're looking for a bike you can rip hell on but also commute around with - it's great.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Make like Nike and "Just Do It", you will not be upset trust me.

·
Registered
377 Posts
plan on replacing the suspension, I'm 200-210 and it made a world of difference.

Now, it's only the best motorcycle I've ever owned, and I've been riding since, well, knee high to a grasshopper. legally since '86.
the power to weight ratio is why. match that with a good suspension and good rubber and you will be amazed.

if you are a a ham fist with the throttle, you will probably want to run it in B mode for a while, otherwise, you're gonna have a bad time.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Many people would rather purchase a new bike that's Ready to Roll out of the box and would never do the '09 re-build again...if we knew then what we know now.......just saying.:cool:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Many people would rather purchase a new bike that's Ready to Roll out of the box and would never do the '09 re-build again...if we knew then what we know now.......just saying.:cool:
Not me, nothing even with the cost of a full penske suspension added in has as much fun for the dollar.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
275lbs on the '09 Stock Suspension ain't going to fly. Period. Plan on upgrading suspension or find another ride.

I'm confident the following posts will detail it's shortcomings, which are relatively few.:cool:

Reactions: mralandy

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
The best thing would be to see if you can find a dealer, that is willing to crank up the preload on the forks and rear shock, and let you take an FZ-09 for a test ride.

As I am sure a lot of us here will be a bit one sided on trading in the Honda.

Edit: - I am 5'-11" tall and leg length is 34" inseam. I find my 09 has a better seating position and leg room than my DR650SE. Which reminds me, I need to lower the foot pegs on the thumper before spring.....

- Seat, I find it it just fine, but the DR's seat is a brick and I can live with it, lol.

- Throttle, I will probably check out the ECU update, but to be honest, I don't find it bad at all, got use to it being touchy.

- Suspension, cranked up the preload, still need to fiddle with the compression damping, but don't find it is a must to change out right away.

Lost of people find it's not as bad as the reviews say it is, it all depends on how you plan to ride it.

Reactions: clk and EdVR

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
The best thing would be to see if you can find a dealer, that is willing to crank up the preload on the forks and rear shock, and let you take an FZ-09 for a test ride.

As I am sure a lot of us here will be a bit one sided on trading in the Honda.
Yup. A lot Honda fans here and plenty of bias, lol

Reactions: alnbama

·
Registered
857 Posts
Oh, I thought that was you. Never mind.:)

I have to add the bike is compact for a larger rider. I only have 70 miles (smiles) on my bike before the weather set in. The ride felt fine on the way home from the dealer. I'm 205, plus I had ATG+ on the way home from the dealer it was 26 degrees F.
I adjusted the forks and shock to the Sport Rider settings for a test of my windscreen, and the bike felt firmer but still a good ride. I have not had a chance for any spirited riding, and my spirited my be your snooze anyway.
The throttle felt fine the 2015 flash might have all the early issues fixed. I would go for it. And I don't like Apple Crap!

·
Super Moderator
4,452 Posts
FZ09...It's fast and it's fun.
However, given your size, I would opt for something with another 30 lb ft of torque.
Think KTM 1290 Super Duke. Pretty pricey though.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've put over 4k miles on my FZ-09 since I got it in August. I LOVE the bike. I LOVE the engine. There really isn't anything I would do (or could do) to make the engine that much better. Considering that's the hardest part of a bike to 'tune' in an acceptable cost to benefit ratio, I say the fz-09 a great place to start for an amazing ride. Despite what the video says, I think the front end is particularly bad. I'm 200lbs + gear, and I have clubman handlebars which shift my weight even farther forward... but when I brake the bike really does dive. More than on any other non-Harley I've ever ridden. The good news is that there is a $300-some-odd bundle of parts designed by Stoltec that will sort that out for you. You can also put on a factory rear shock from a ZX10r (or other bikes like the ZX6rr) for around the $100 mark that should put the bike where it should have been when it left Yamaha. Don't take the criticism to mean that the bike is faulty or bad... I've put 4k on mine and it's still upright. It certainly can be a handful in certain situations, but with some parts and some attention you can turn the fz-09 into an incredible machine for throwing around the twisties. I use mine for commuting, and the only thing I found absolutely necessary for that was a set of steel front brake lines. Beyond that, it's really all up to your riding style and taste.

P.S. just go get one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've done a lot of research. The only concern I have in MY weight. I think height should be ok....6'1"

Thanks all

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've done a lot of research. The only concern I have in MY weight. I think height should be ok....6'1"

Thanks all

I'm about 6'3" and can say that height definitely won't be an issue, weight I would expect some suspension work would be needed. I am about 200 lbs geared up and with the stock suspension maxxed out I find it to be completely fine but I am not a track rider or anything too crazy. Basically if you don't mind dropping $1000 on suspension work or putting in some time to retrofit another bikes shock I would say you are going to love this bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Prospective buyer here as well. Was going to post a new thread but this one seems to be addressing my question.

Is the general consensus that replacing the suspension is a MUST for a rider 240lbs or over with spirited street riding? That max. preload and rebound settings on stock won't cut it?

I've been reading opinions all over the place from "death trap" to "it's fine if you don't push it".

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Prospective buyer here as well. Was going to post a new thread but this one seems to be addressing my question.

Is the general consensus that replacing the suspension is a MUST for a rider 240lbs or over with spirited street riding? That max. preload and rebound settings on stock won't cut it?

I've been reading opinions all over the place from "death trap" to "it's fine if you don't push it".

YES -- You're asking for trouble if you neglect the suspension.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
It's definately not a 'death trap' regardless of what some people might post. As with any bike, proper technique and bike control is essential to riding-more so with the soft stock suspension and the killer torque this motor has. It basically all boils down to your intended usage and experience level...and how fat your wallet is. Is there room for improvement? Most assuredly. Does the stock suspension-even with maxed out settings-still render it unrideable? No...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts