Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 1985 I got my first street bike. It was an MZ 250 two stroke that I bought from a co-worker because he had just bought a new Yamaha. I rode the crap out of it for a year and bought my own new Yamaha. The same co-worker and I became very good friends riding our bikes through the canyons every weekend leaving our worries and families behind. A few years passed and I took a different job and he got some new friends with Suzukis that were just a little too psycho for me(passing on the double yellow between cars going both ways). I moved to the North side of town and didn't see him anymore. A few nights ago I had a dream about him and decided to look him up. I stopped by his house and visited for a while. He had a falling out with the Suzuki boys(one of them crashed right in front of him)and gave up on riding altogether, got himself a 4x4 and started going to Moab. Seems strange to me that the person that really got me interested in riding lost interest himself. He sold the Yamaha and hasn't owned another bike since. Now he's had twelve surgeries including three to his back and probably couldn't ride if he wanted to. It made me a little sad to think maybe if I had stuck around he might have kept riding but I just couldn't deal with the other guys behavior. Oh well.....

·
Banned
739 Posts
Still friends with my neighbor from elementary school in the 70's. We raced motocross together then and had lots of good times. He lives out of state with his wife now but comes back here to see his parents a couple times a year. He's what I'd call a motorcycle hoarder, seems to buy a used bike every couple of months. We still keep in contact via phone and email. He always brings a bike with him and we go riding.

Loves my FZ. Of course he wants one. I let him ride it before I got the ECU re-flashed, he told me ...Dude, guys would kill for that motor...

·
Registered
420 Posts
It's hard to keep up with friends as their (and your) lives change. I recently tried to contact a MC-riding buddy I hadn't seen for awhile. I had sold him my OSSA a few years ago and wanted to buy it back. My search on the internet resulted in news he had passed away. I still can't believe it.

·
Super Moderator
4,338 Posts
The tragedy is not that you no longer have the friend, the real tragedy is if you'd never had them.
Melancholy is a reminder that we have lived.

Today the sun is bright, the birds are singing, it's 63 degrees and soon enough...there will be hijinks.

·
Registered
833 Posts
That also happened to me.....My wife and I had our first child, I sold my Suzuki GSXR and bought a Jeep and went to Moab... Weird. But the difference is I missed riding. So I bought another Suzuki and had another child. Now, unbelievably, I have No Suzukis and two Yamahas. Oh, and new Jeep (2015 Cherokee Trailhawk ) Hey, have to be able to get around when it snows!

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Seeing OLD friends?
This will happen at the FZ Rally.
Lots of OLD guys there...with whom I hope to become good friends.
Hey, they may need me one day...help pushing wheel chair...visiting nursing home...etc. :)

Hoping to make some friends in Atlanta-Greenville-Charlotte-Etc!!!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Seeing OLD friends?
This will happen at the FZ Rally.
Lots of OLD guys there...with whom I hope to become good friends.
Hey, they may need me one day...help pushing wheel chair...visiting nursing home...etc. :)

Hoping to make some friends in Atlanta-Greenville-Charlotte-Etc!!!
No doubt you'll have a ton of friends down here that share your interests. Everybody down here is bike crazy. However...there is a drawback to having too many friends. When they start dying off one at a time....you start to wonder when it's your time to go. Until that time...I will have a motor on my wheelchair so I don't have to ask for a push.

Reactions: Tigershark
1 - 8 of 8 Posts