Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a lock system for my bike when I pick it up next month, I'm leaning towards a heavy duty chain lock, possibly one that locks to the rotor. I just wanted to get a census of what you guys use to lock up your babies?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the kryptonite NY chain and lock, and a krypt ground anchor...best in the business as far as I know. I have it locked directly to the frame...thieves can deal with a locked rotor more easily
I also have a disc lock for on the go

there are some threads on this issue already

EDIT:
http://www.yamahafz09.com/forum/13-...160-best-motorcycle-security-thread-ever.html
in particular, post #3
I don't have my bike yet, can you show how it's locked to your frame? I can't use a ground anchor as it's a condo building with a strata council and a common parkade for all residents.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts

The lock 'justs' fits through the only opening in the frame that is a possability. Its a little awkward, but I do it daily, so no biggie. also a cover is important...out of sight, out of mind

A chain doesnt do much good if its not locked to something that you can't cut...but they make longer cables and what-not...I am sure you can find something. If the bike is out in the open, like a condo, you want to do more than a disc-lock. You have to make it so hard for a thief to get away with your ride that they look for an easier score. Read the link on post 3 of that thread I linked...well here it is:
EX Thief & "chop-shop" operator AMA : motorcycles

very eye opening

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

The lock 'justs' fits through the only opening in the frame that is a possability. Its a little awkward, but I do it daily, so no biggie. also a cover is important...out of sight, out of mind

A chain doesnt do much good if its not locked to something that you can't cut...but they make longer cables and what-not...I am sure you can find something. If the bike is out in the open, like a condo, you want to do more than a disc-lock. You have to make it so hard for a thief to get away with your ride that they look for an easier score. Read the link on post 3 of that thread I linked...well here it is:
EX Thief & "chop-shop" operator AMA : motorcycles

very eye opening

Would the lock fit the same on the opposite side? I will have to park my bike parallel to the metal fence, with the fence on the right side of the bike. It's basically going to be sandwiched between my wife's car and the fence in a 3-4' gap.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
the opposite side hole is obscured by the engine (it might be the transmission?...I dunno, lol) but you wont be able to get a lock through there.
**Edit** the clutch cover obscures that hole on the right side

what is the fence like?...whats is made out of? Just consider that it might be easier to cut what its chained to rather than cutting the chain.
A lamp post would be ideal. you can use 2 locks, and not double up the chain, which makes it twice as long...so that you could feed it under the bike.
Id say just put in the ground anchor, or ask to do it, and that you can remove it when you move, and fill the 3 holes, and it will not leave damage to the surface.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Seriously,

When sport touring cross country my security is an pick proof Abloy Protec2 PL 342 Shrouded Hardened Steel Padlock locked to a 14mm ABUS Hardened Alloy Chain, and a screaming Xena Disc Lock. And a Springfield Arms .45 loaded with hollow points, of course.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the opposite side hole is obscured by the engine (it might be the transmission?...I dunno, lol) but you wont be able to get a lock through there.
**Edit** the clutch cover obscures that hole on the right side

what is the fence like?...whats is made out of? Just consider that it might be easier to cut what its chained to rather than cutting the chain.
A lamp post would be ideal. you can use 2 locks, and not double up the chain, which makes it twice as long...so that you could feed it under the bike.
Id say just put in the ground anchor, or ask to do it, and that you can remove it when you move, and fill the 3 holes, and it will not leave damage to the surface.
The fence is a floor to ceiling modular metal fence, where the fence sections meet there's a good inch of 'L' shaped iron (x2). There is also a support column that's bolted into the concrete floor and it's about 4" square hollow iron with probably about a 1/4" wall thickness.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
The fence is a floor to ceiling modular metal fence, where the fence sections meet there's a good inch of 'L' shaped iron (x2). There is also a support column that's bolted into the concrete floor and it's about 4" square hollow iron with probably about a 1/4" wall thickness.
Chain it to the support column...that should be deterrent enough. Throw on a disk lock and cover for good measure....get the kind of disk lock that has an audible alarm. Oxford makes one

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I ended up ordering an Abus loop chain with a U-lock.. I will probably also invest in a disk lock alarm as well.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts