Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Bonneville style bike (Scrambler) that I truly love, but I have been thinking about buying a second sportier bike to have something faster in my stable. I was all set on FZ-09, but now I cannot quite decide between FZ-09 and 600cc (or a liter) sports bike. In FZ-09 price range I can easily get a slightly used sports bike. Those of you who have owned a sports bike in the past and now are on FZ-09, what are your thoughts? I love the FZ-09, but as I already have a standard street bike, I am thinking a super sports with a completely different riding style might suit my needs better. What do you guys think? Would 600CC super sports be a better fit as a second bike than FZ-09 in my case? Thoughts? Recommendations? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
As a person who has been on sport bikes for the last 20+ years and have now switched over to the FZ09, I'm probably somewhat qualified to answer/help with your question(s). First, a little background on me...
I'm still riding a 600RR dedicated track bike
I have the FZ09, as well as an ST1300 Sport/Touring bike

So, given that info, the reason that I went with the FZ09 was that I wanted a very sporty bike as far as handling and power, lightweight, torquey, and good brakes.....basically what I had, only a more upright riding position. I live in the foothills of the Smoky Mountains and we do a lot of 300+ mile days on the roads down here. The sport bike(s) that I've owned were a lot of fun, but as I've gotten older, the long days were killing my knees/legs because of the riding position or the 600RR. I still do very well with that riding position for track days, but then again, you are only on the track for 20 minute sessions, once an hour, so it's all good.

So, your question about the FZ or a sport bike will, in my opinion, depend on the type of riding that you are wanting to use the bike for, your age/physical condition/etc. It will also depend on whether or not you prefer the upright riding style of the FZ or a more tucked position of the sport bikes. Think about how long you are going to ride it....100 miles at a time....200, 300 mile days, are you going to commute, strictly twisty stuff, etc??

I will say this about the FZ09. The bike has a MONSTER motor and will easily pull away from my 600RR until you start to get into the early triple digits speed wise. Stock for stock, the FZ turns in faster/quicker than the 600RR does. The FZ will definitely need some suspension work if you are let's say 170lbs or more, or if you plan on pushing the bike hard in the twisty stuff.

Let us know a little more about yourself and what your plans are for the bike and I'm sure that some others will jump in on this and offer up some advice also.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
they're totally different styles of bike. if you've never ridden a 600 supersport before, do that first. then imagine you're on a bike that you don't have to rev above 10k rpm to get massive forward acceleration, and that has you sitting much more upright and in the wind. that bike is the 09.

my last bike was a gsxr750 and at sub-3 digit speeds the 09 puts a bigger shiteating grin on my face.

a supersport will give you better wind protection at higher speeds and better stock suspension. but you can improve both on the 09 if you're willing to spend a little money.

we can tell you how the two bikes compare, but we can't tell you which bike will be a better fit for you.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I recently sold my Kawasaki ZX-6R to get an FZ-09 and it's the best thing I could have done. The thing about 600CC supersports is that the performance advantage they hold over bikes like the FZ more or less exists in theory only off the racetrack. Suspension is designed for perfect, flawless roads (racetrack conditions). Powerband requires keeping RPMs high, which seems fun but just isn't as viable on the street, especially in tight, technical, twisty roads. Broad powerbands win out here. The ergonomics translate to making the bike more nimble in city traffic and just to flick around. And there is much less emphasis on body positioning in cornering than on a supersport, which means you get to just point it more and go. It's a lot more forgiving.

Here is my story...

http://www.yamahafz09.com/forum/4-i...troducing-myself-now-i-actually-got-bike.html

Complete details on why I switched.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick responses. I am 6 feet, 210 lbs and 33 years old and mostly ride in the city. I am kind of new to motorcycling and have roughly 3 years of riding experience. I have never been a fan of sports bikes and hence the reason I have a Scrambler as my current bike. I had a Honda Shadow 750 before that. Lately, I have been thinking about getting a more capable, i.e., faster/lighter bike to improve my riding skills a bit. A bike that I can take to track and canyons and put my knee down and perhaps learn to do wheelies on. I don't want to be a hooligan and I expect to continue riding my current bike in the city. I guess I want to own a faster/sportier bike for once at least to see what it feels like. I think the more tucked position and fairing are good things on faster bike. On a naked bikes, wind drag makes it more of hassle than fun at fast speeds IMO. FZ-09 is a very capable bike, but I am not sure if that's the bike I should go for as I already have a standard street bike with more upright riding position.

As a person who has been on sport bikes for the last 20+ years and have now switched over to the FZ09, I'm probably somewhat qualified to answer/help with your question(s). First, a little background on me...
I'm still riding a 600RR dedicated track bike
I have the FZ09, as well as an ST1300 Sport/Touring bike

So, given that info, the reason that I went with the FZ09 was that I wanted a very sporty bike as far as handling and power, lightweight, torquey, and good brakes.....basically what I had, only a more upright riding position. I live in the foothills of the Smoky Mountains and we do a lot of 300+ mile days on the roads down here. The sport bike(s) that I've owned were a lot of fun, but as I've gotten older, the long days were killing my knees/legs because of the riding position or the 600RR. I still do very well with that riding position for track days, but then again, you are only on the track for 20 minute sessions, once an hour, so it's all good.

So, your question about the FZ or a sport bike will, in my opinion, depend on the type of riding that you are wanting to use the bike for, your age/physical condition/etc. It will also depend on whether or not you prefer the upright riding style of the FZ or a more tucked position of the sport bikes. Think about how long you are going to ride it....100 miles at a time....200, 300 mile days, are you going to commute, strictly twisty stuff, etc??

I will say this about the FZ09. The bike has a MONSTER motor and will easily pull away from my 600RR until you start to get into the early triple digits speed wise. Stock for stock, the FZ turns in faster/quicker than the 600RR does. The FZ will definitely need some suspension work if you are let's say 170lbs or more, or if you plan on pushing the bike hard in the twisty stuff.

Let us know a little more about yourself and what your plans are for the bike and I'm sure that some others will jump in on this and offer up some advice also.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I don't want to be a hooligan and I expect to continue riding my current bike in the city.
then absolutely do NOT get an 09.

because a) it will bring out the hooligan in you, and b) its light weight (80 lbs lighter than the scrambler) and torquey engine makes it an excellent urban bike...you might end up riding the 09 more than the triumph.

I guess I want to own a faster/sportier bike for once at least to see what it feels like.
yes, you won't know until you try.

600 supersports are a dime a dozen and they're revised so often that you can get a used model from several years back and it will be within 90% of the performance of a 2014 model.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
The FZ, with some suspension mods is going to be a VERY capable twisty bike. Rider skill will come into play a lot more than the difference between a 600cc sport bike and the FZ. The FZ is approx the same weight or maybe a little lighter than some of the 600cc sport bikes, and with the suspension setup correctly and a good set of sticky tires, I will, 9 times out of 10 walk away from a sport bike in the twisty stuff. Remember, the FZ has, according to Yamaha, the same lean angle capabilities of the R6 (51 degrees). Take off the peg feelers, mount up some sticky tires running at the correct pressures and you will make the 600cc sport bike guys envious...at least until you get into the speed limiter on the track. There is not a 600cc bike out there that will drive out of a corner as fast as the FZ properly set up.

·
Registered
957 Posts
The FZ WILL bring out the hooligan in you. In nearly 6 years of riding I have never done anything hooligan-ish and aside from spirited trips through the twisties and the occasional track day I've always been pretty sedate on my bike. On day 1 I curb hopped my way out of a Pizza Hut parking lot with it. It WILL make you want to do things on a bike you've always looked down on others for doing, and it IS a better urban commuter than the Scrambler, so you will almost never want to ride the Scrambler. As triplethread mentioned, It's only some light suspension mods from being able to embarrass 600cc supersports on your local twisty roads with equal riders, as well.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Thanks for the quick responses. I am 6 feet, 210 lbs and 33 years old and mostly ride in the city. I am kind of new to motorcycling and have roughly 3 years of riding experience. I have never been a fan of sports bikes and hence the reason I have a Scrambler as my current bike. I had a Honda Shadow 750 before that. Lately, I have been thinking about getting a more capable, i.e., faster/lighter bike to improve my riding skills a bit. A bike that I can take to track and canyons and put my knee down and perhaps learn to do wheelies on. I don't want to be a hooligan and I expect to continue riding my current bike in the city. I guess I want to own a faster/sportier bike for once at least to see what it feels like. I think the more tucked position and fairing are good things on faster bike. On a naked bikes, wind drag makes it more of hassle than fun at fast speeds IMO. FZ-09 is a very capable bike, but I am not sure if that's the bike I should go for as I already have a standard street bike with more upright riding position.

Think of the FZ09 as your Bonnie, only it runs smoother, weighs 100lbs less, make 50 more hp (80% more). I don't think you would be keeping the Bonnie if you get the FZ09.

I would pass on buying a used supersport unless it's just for track time. If you're not used to the weight distribution and seating position of a supersport - then you won't be faster on one than you would be on the FZ-09. For droning along on the highway the windblast would get old - but for spirited riding it doesn't. And droning along on the highway really sucks on a supersport. I would trade the Bonnie towards the FZ09, you won't ride it as much as you think.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow... a bunch of good responses. I understand that Scrambler is a different type of bike and just on performance alone, there is no comparison between FZ and Scrambler. However, I am aware of what Scrambler is and I am not planning to get rid of it anytime soon; I knew the performance differences when I bought Scrambler. Yes, it is very possible that after getting FZ-09, I might change my mind and stick with just FZ, but for now Scrambler is staying. My original question was to get some opinions on FZ-09 and 600cc (and liter) sports bikes.

As someone mentioned above that 600cc bikes haven't really changed much in recent years and there are a lot of them available in the market (craigslist), so that generally gives it a good advantage, but FZ-09 is not that expensive either, so price isn't really that big of a difference. I am mainly looking for a completely different type of bike and I think FZ-09 will have enough overlap with my Scrambler (low rpm torque, upright riding position, naked style) that I might enjoy 600CC a bit more.

I value all your responses and you all have some very strong points. Hopefully, I will have a better sense of what to do by the time the riding season is here again.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Unless your local roads mirror racetrack conditions you won't get any enjoyment out of riding a 600 in the street. They are basically built for racetrack use exclusively and suck in the street.

That being said, if you want to buy a 2nd bike, and you don't want it to have much overlap with your Bonnie (even if it is arguably superior in every manner), and you plan on seeing mainly street time exclusively and logging mainly city miles, your only real choice as I see it is a full-on supermoto. Beyond that, I would get a sport tourer or adventure tourer. They're the only bikes I can think of that aren't racetrack-focused and won't have much overlap with your Bonnie.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
The fz09 is perfect for the city...I should know, I live and ride in center city of USA's 5th largest. It's nimble, the seating position is very neutral, you can turn around in tight spots, get around cabs with ease, and have great visibility with the more upright position. The suspension works for me for pot holes, etc....every time I ride it in town I like it more and more.

I loved my old 600 sportbike, but the FZ is the ideal urban jungle ride.
And the torque....oh my god, the quickness of this bike is beyond words

·
Banned
161 Posts
FZ09 vs an inline 4 600cc isn't a fair fight. Better off with an SV650 or something along those lines...

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
FZ09 vs an inline 4 600cc isn't a fair fight. Better off with an SV650 or something along those lines...
Its definitely not but that doesn't mean that people aren't interested in trying one vs the other.

I was looking at a 600rr or this and went with this for 2 reasons:

1. Riding position - coming from the SV650 it was so comfortable and fun to ride and easy to get out of a hairy situation anytime - the 600rr felt uncomfortable even just sitting on it at the dealership let alone taking it out for 100 mile ride.

2. Low end torque/realistic torque for riding in my area.

I don't do track days, I don't try to race on the street and I could give a shit about how cool I look on a bike which is really why I think most guys (not all) ride supersports in Nj.

I love that you can ride the sh!t out of the fz on back roads and flick it into B for traffic after and take it easy weaving through traffic.

Can't say the same for a SS imo

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
957 Posts
The real issue here is this: Any bike you buy to fit what you're looking for is going to have a LOT of overlap with your Scrambler. That's because all the Scrambler is, is a retro version of them (complete with retro-grade suspension and retro power output, unfortunately). Stepping up to a more modern version of that same exact bike, which more or less any sporty standard/streetfighter is, WILL step on the role you've assigned to your Scrambler. Sure there's a supersport, but unless you plan on turning it into a dedicated track bike, you'll find that anything you can do on the street with it, a bike like the FZ-09, FZ1, Street Triple, Speed Triple, etc, will do better WHILE completely stepping all over the role of your Scrambler at the same time.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I suspect the best part about the Bonnie would be taking it out for a nice, leisurely ride...with no temptation to wick it up and be naughty. In that situation, an FZ might not be so great...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The real issue here is this: Any bike you buy to fit what you're looking for is going to have a LOT of overlap with your Scrambler. That's because all the Scrambler is, is a retro version of them (complete with retro-grade suspension and retro power output, unfortunately). Stepping up to a more modern version of that same exact bike, which more or less any sporty standard/streetfighter is, WILL step on the role you've assigned to your Scrambler. Sure there's a supersport, but unless you plan on turning it into a dedicated track bike, you'll find that anything you can do on the street with it, a bike like the FZ-09, FZ1, Street Triple, Speed Triple, etc, will do better WHILE completely stepping all over the role of your Scrambler at the same time.
I don't disagree with you and I understand that Scrambler is a less capable bike than most modern street fighters, but it looks and sounds much better than any modern street fighter in my opinion and it does have adequate power to handle any legal street limit easily. Actually, I am unable to go over 3rd gear most of the time when I am riding locally in Chicago and on highways, it does 85/90 mph without even breaking a sweat. If street riding is the only strong point of FZ over 600 then I don't really see a reason to get FZ as a second bike. I think a light nimble bike that is fun to ride on twisty roads and track is what I am after and 600CC seems like a better fit here logically. Trading a Scrambler for FZ-09 and keeping it as the only bike is also a good solution, but honestly I am not ready to get rid of my Scrambler yet. I just love they way it looks, it sounds, and it handles. It just provides a different type of fun that most people in this forum probably will not understand.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I don't disagree with you and I understand that Scrambler is a less capable bike than most modern street fighters, but it looks and sounds much better than any modern street fighter in my opinion and it does have adequate power to handle any legal street limit easily. Actually, I am unable to go over 3rd gear most of the time when I am riding locally in Chicago and on highways, it does 85/90 mph without even breaking a sweat. If street riding is the only strong point of FZ over 600 then I don't really see a reason to get FZ as a second bike. I think a light nimble bike that is fun to ride on twisty roads and track is what I am after and 600CC seems like a better fit here logically. Trading a Scrambler for FZ-09 and keeping it as the only bike is also a good solution, but honestly I am not ready to get rid of my Scrambler yet. I just love they way it looks, it sounds, and it handles. It just provides a different type of fun that most people in this forum probably will not understand.
And what we were trying to say is that they're not nimble, except when moving at extremely high speeds, like what you would only see at the track. What they gain at triple digit speeds, they actually SACRIFICE at lower speeds. Like I said, unless you plan on getting it for dedicated track use, you will still go faster and corner harder on a fighter-type bike, which goes back to what I said:

Your bike, the Scrambler, is a retro-styled version of the exact bike that would best suit your wants/needs. Any bike you get that fits the bill of exactly what you're looking for, whether it's the FZ specifically or not, is basically going to be a more modern, more high-tech, and as a result, more over-engineered version of that exact same bike.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ha.. I need to improve my grammar. I meant 3rd gear in the city and 5th gear (highest on my Scrambler) on highways.

If you are unable to get past 3rd gear while riding on the highway you are not ready for a race bike. You need to learn proper gear selection for the bike you have first. You should be using all the gears all the time.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I am not ready to get rid of my Scrambler yet. I just love they way it looks, it sounds, and it handles. It just provides a different type of fun that most people in this forum probably will not understand.
Much as I like my FZ-09 while not interested in buying anything else, I completely understand the Scrambler's attraction. If I already had a Scrambler, I would probably find a way to keep it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts