Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have any major complaints over the seat, other than passengers. My wife keeps sliding into me on deceleration and braking. Are there any aftermarket seats that would negate this concern. I don't want one that makes the bike look retarded/stupid either. I know you can't have your cake and eat it too. I figure that I can buy a whole other seat assembly, and have it customized for passenger days. This might sound extreme, but I'm keeping in mind that the seat only takes a few seconds to remove/replace. This is more of a safety concern than comfort. Serious suggestions, and recommendations are most welcome, my arms and shoulders will thank you too! :)

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Have you considered the Yamaha luggage rack? If I recall right the sides of it are also passenger hand holds.

·
Registered
34 Posts
V2bob is right about the Yamaha rear rack having handles for the passenger, which does help. However, the best thing that help me out was getting a Seat Concepts cover that has gripper in the back for the passenger and carbon fiber in the front for me. It is a special order for this set up but is well worth it. My wife no longer slides into me.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I saw a video once, it may have been posted here. But it mentioned having the passenger brace against the fuel tank.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
A better seat isn't going to stop this as much as managing your throttle roll offs and braking.

I had to get used to this too. I was used to braking maybe at 100 feet and closing the throttle completely.

With my wife on the bike I'll easily roll of the throttle at twice the distance and start to brake earlier as well.

I punched it on a back road after giving her a signal I was going to and when I let up after a decent pull her head went right into my back and she had some choice words for me in her helmet - all in a fun day of riding though :)

Sent from my phone and my autocorrect sucks

·
Registered
117 Posts
When I purchased my bike my wife only had 2 rides on the back of a motorcycle. So I had the "You are not just a passenger, on the back of a bike" conversation. This includes informing her that riding on a bike is not like in a car where you just sit there and watch the world go by. As a passenger she has to be aware of what we are doing; accelerating, braking, turning, etc... so she now has a few more miles experience and she controls her body better.

I also agree with Beck that you have as much to do with helping her by how abrupt your control inputs are, so what I think to myself is "Double the people double the space to stop" roll off and brake sooner.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
V2bob is right about the Yamaha rear rack having handles for the passenger, which does help. However, the best thing that help me out was getting a Seat Concepts cover that has gripper in the back for the passenger and carbon fiber in the front for me. It is a special order for this set up but is well worth it. My wife no longer slides into me.
Do you have any pics of the seat? Is there a particular rear rack that has these handles. The only rear rack I found does not look like it has anything for the passenger to grasp.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
The Yamaha rack does have what looks like handles in a photo, but he passenger can hold the sides of it below their butt.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I plan to get my fiance a special seat so we can ride together. I have not decided which yet, but I know that the FZ-07 is on the list. I'll probably get her a used 250 or 400 to start on and then go from there. Negates the slide into the tank completely.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts