Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike came with a seat by Seat Concepts which is quite an upgrade from OEM. Does anyone else have an issue with the seating position on the 09? My butt and low back will be cranky after 200 mi. What says you?

·
Administrator
2,889 Posts
I can only ride for about an hour on my Sargent seat before my hips start hurting. I can ride 5-6hrs on my Yamaha comfort seat. Makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
Reactions: MTsRUs

·
Registered
895 Posts
This question is more about the seat than the position. To anyone who moved from a pre-2020 MT-09 (or SP) to the newer Cyclops version - do you have any comments about the relative comfort of the seats? Yamaha's website gives a few words about the 'double-stitched' seat on the 2022 model, but I wonder if it's the same as the so-called 'Comfort' seat on the earlier bike, which I found no better than the stock stone-bench perch.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I second the notion that the Yamaha comfort seat is no better than the original. Just taller with a different look.
I would love to be able to stay in the seat for 200 miles, but I need to get off after about 1.5 hours regardless of the miles.
Made the switch from a sports bike to an MT thinking I could rid myself of the discomfort issue, All I managed to do was transfer the discomfort to a different area.
For me I don't blame the seating position, I realise I am not as young as I used to be, and there in lies "my" problem.😩

·
Registered
1 Posts
I second the notion that the Yamaha comfort seat is no better than the original. Just taller with a different look.
I would love to be able to stay in the seat for 200 miles, but I need to get off after about 1.5 hours regardless of the miles.
Made the switch from a sports bike to an MT thinking I could rid myself of the discomfort issue, All I managed to do was transfer the discomfort to a different area.
For me I don't blame the seating position, I realise I am not as young as I used to be, and there in lies "my" problem.😩
Sad to hear that. Picking up my MT-09 tomorrow. Sports bikes are just too uncomfortable on my wrists. I hope I don't experience a similar 'inversion' issue... 61 years of age... all parts original and some could do with replacement ;)

·
Registered
2022 Yamaha MT-09 SP
87 Posts
This question is more about the seat than the position. To anyone who moved from a pre-2020 MT-09 (or SP) to the newer Cyclops version - do you have any comments about the relative comfort of the seats? Yamaha's website gives a few words about the 'double-stitched' seat on the 2022 model, but I wonder if it's the same as the so-called 'Comfort' seat on the earlier bike, which I found no better than the stock stone-bench perch.
i have a 2022 mt09 sp with the double stitched seat. It's fairly comfortable, as in I can ride about 1.5 hours before I need to stop and stretch my legs a bit. I don't do much touring so that's about the longest i ride anyway. The seat is pretty grippy which I like cause I don't move around quite as much.

I like the seat on my mt09 better than the sargent seat I put on my sv650.

·
Registered
2021 MT-09
134 Posts
I noticed right away that the OEM seat on my '21 MT-09 tired my butt after 100 or so miles of riding, plus it tended to slide me towards the tank like my traded-in '08 Suzuki Bandit 1250. That just wouldn't do for my 225-275 mile group rides, so I paid (and paid) for a Corbin Gunfighter & Lady Saddle (rear seat area sat lower than solo Gunfighter to give better clearance for my Ventura rack system), and it improved noticeably the ride comfort and I no longer slide towards the tank.

As far at the seating position, I have no issues of the mostly upright position or handlebar reach or leg extension to the pegs, the two latter being minimally adjustable. But height will also be a factor and I am 5'8" (and a bit heavier than I should be...).

·
Registered
895 Posts
As far at the seating position, I have no issues of the mostly upright position or handlebar reach or leg extension to the pegs, the two latter being minimally adjustable. But height will also be a factor and I am 5'8" (and a bit heavier than I should be...).

Thanks, MT. I too like the more-or-less upright sit-up-and-beg riding position on the SP, being a tad taller than you, and maybe more than a tad heavier! I guess I'll have to get to my local dealer to take a look at, and maybe a sit on, the 2021/ 22 model and eyeball the seat.

·
Registered
2021 MT09 SP
70 Posts
I have yet to find an OEM seat that I can stay on for more than an hour or two due to one to many helicopter crashes in
Vietnam. I have found the Russell Day Long saddle is the only seat I can ride 8 -10 hours a day for multiple days. I have had a Russell on my last 21 new bikes. They may be ugly to some, but they work extremely well for me!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have yet to find an OEM seat that I can stay on for more than an hour or two due to one to many helicopter crashes in
Vietnam. I have found the Russell Day Long saddle is the only seat I can ride 8 -10 hours a day for multiple days. I have had a Russell on my last 21 new bikes. They may be ugly to some, but they work extremely well for me!
Rein, that’s a lot of seats, I hope they take good care of you. I bought my bike a Seat Concepts saddle on it and it’s a good seat. I’m going to take it to my guy and have the foam scooped out in the rear where your tailbone is because it feels like my hips are cambered forward.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT09
75 Posts
I wonder is there in fact 3 official (3rd Gen) Yamaha seats which is adding to the confusion? They look different to me? Has anyone tried all 3?

SP 'comfort' seat better than the non-SP ?
Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle handlebar Automotive tire Bicycle saddle Bicycle tire

Official Yamaha accessory comfort seat - officially more comfortable?
Footwear Synthetic rubber Rim Personal protective equipment Leather

Standard seat - pretty unpopular with asses around this group.
Shoe Sleeve Grey Comfort Fender

Istiban

·
Registered
2021 MT09 SP
70 Posts
Rein, that’s a lot of seats, I hope they take good care of you. I bought my bike a Seat Concepts saddle on it and it’s a good seat. I’m going to take it to my guy and have the foam scooped out in the rear where your tailbone is because it feels like my hips are cambered forward.
They do take care of me. Especially on scheduling a build date.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts