Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

First of all, hopefully I'm not too ranty... just a little flustered with this bike.

The stock seat for me, was absolutely atrocious. My ass killed after 25 minutes. I purchased the Seat Concepts with Carbon Fiber front, and grippy on the back. My idea was that it would be much more comfortable, I could move around on the twisties, and my girlfriend would feel more safe. Well, the pain shifted from my ass to the family jewels. I am constantly sliding into the tank, making for a seriously uncomfortable ride. Girlfriend also doesn't feel comfortable.

I'm 5'11, 210 Pounds butt-naked. I had to max out the forks and shock to even make it ride-able (from the showroom the bike was setup below standard preload/rebound) I'm wondering if somehow the rake / lean angle is exaggerated causing this.

Are Corbin and Saddlemen the only off-the-shelf solution for this? Could suspension be causing my woes?

On the plus side, the dealership fixed the CCT issue. Now I just have to fix the annoying throttle :sad5:

TLDR: I'm constantly sliding into the tank with Seat Concepts and the girlfriend doesn't feel like she has much space, and its uncomfortable.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Join the club... The stock seat is so uncomfortable to me that I only ride the bike once every couple weeks. A friend has the same bike with the seat concepts seat and I have the same issues with it that you do. It's better and worse all at the same time. I'm waiting for Sargent to come up with something as I don't think the Corbin is very attractive looking. In all honesty though, I might end up with a Corbin if it ends up being the most comfortable option. You'll hear it 100 more times, but get the ECU flashed. Makes a world of difference with the throttle response.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Here ya go........

http://www.fz09.org/forum/13-fz-09-gear-accessories/3171-another-seat-thread.html

See post #18 and 19 in particular and look at the difference between what the stock seat was and how it sloped forward, and the seat position now. Info in the thread about the seat and how to contact the folks that did it, along with pricing.....without shipping of course as this guy is local to me....same town.

One other suggestion, if you find yourself sliding forward alot, you should be using your knees/thighs to grip the tank to help eliminate that issue....especially on braking.

Reactions: Steve101

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
are you nuts getting smashed primarily when riding 2-up? If so, it should not be a surprise...for a guy your size, its really a solo bike. Maxing your suspension to fully hard all around is a given too.

Funny how ppl are so different. I had pretty much your stats, and with my seat concepts seat, I never had a nut smashing issue (until my accident of course, and that was the ultimate nut smash).
Like Triplethreat said, try using your knees more, maybe get grippers form stoltec to help.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Seat definitely sucks after a while... Took about 300 miles to become horrible for me... Not confident I know what to do though...

·
Registered
168 Posts
I quess its like walking on gravels for me seem to get better everytime i rode. After 1000 miles it was alot better, but for sure after market seats alot better than stock.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Hi guys,

First of all, hopefully I'm not too ranty... just a little flustered with this bike.

The stock seat for me, was absolutely atrocious. My ass killed after 25 minutes. I purchased the Seat Concepts with Carbon Fiber front, and grippy on the back. My idea was that it would be much more comfortable, I could move around on the twisties, and my girlfriend would feel more safe. Well, the pain shifted from my ass to the family jewels. I am constantly sliding into the tank, making for a seriously uncomfortable ride. Girlfriend also doesn't feel comfortable.

I'm 5'11, 210 Pounds butt-naked. I had to max out the forks and shock to even make it ride-able (from the showroom the bike was setup below standard preload/rebound) I'm wondering if somehow the rake / lean angle is exaggerated causing this.

Are Corbin and Saddlemen the only off-the-shelf solution for this? Could suspension be causing my woes?

On the plus side, the dealership fixed the CCT issue. Now I just have to fix the annoying throttle :sad5:

TLDR: I'm constantly sliding into the tank with Seat Concepts and the girlfriend doesn't feel like she has much space, and its uncomfortable.
Check out this solution.

http://www.fz09.org/forum/6-fz-09-general-discussion/2627-flight-test-new-laam-seat.html

http://www.fz09.org/forum/6-fz-09-general-discussion/2609-laam-seat-more-pics.html

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Laam Seat definitely looks nice. I seriously have to do something. 30 minutes on the Seat Concepts and I have testicular pain from constantly sliding into the tank.

* Saddlemen ( Doesn't ship to Canada... !? )
* Corbin (Slightly expensive and not a real looker)
* Laam (Lost seat for weeks)

It's pretty funny that my stock 2010 GSXR600 seat was way more comfortable.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Last weekend I did the Corbin drive in method. They already have a rough copy made up. Sit on it, tell em where to trim, they tell you what works best for your balls sake!
Take it for a ride each time they trim it. Took me 5 or 6 tries to get it right. I had em create an area that cups my ass, then tapers in the back like a cafe bike. Then you pick out cover materials. Had em throw in an orange stitch around the top seam.
Now this thing cups my crotch like a fine high dollar whore. And the harder I slam the throttle, the harder it pushes me into the seat.
I now feel like part of the bike. I don't even think about hanging on when slamming her down hard, and I even designed it to allow for some inside hanging on the tight corners.
It takes most of the day, but they have a top notch restaurant, friendly customers to bullshit with, full run of most of the plant. Very clean, friendly, state of the art facility. Well worth it.
I even let my buddy (an R6 driver) ride it and he agreed it was money well spent

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Last weekend I did the Corbin drive in method. They already have a rough copy made up. Sit on it, tell em where to trim, they tell you what works best for your balls sake!
Take it for a ride each time they trim it. Took me 5 or 6 tries to get it right. I had em create an area that cups my ass, then tapers in the back like a cafe bike. Then you pick out cover materials. Had em throw in an orange stitch around the top seam.
Now this thing cups my crotch like a fine high dollar whore. And the harder I slam the throttle, the harder it pushes me into the seat.
I now feel like part of the bike. I don't even think about hanging on when slamming her down hard, and I even designed it to allow for some inside hanging on the tight corners.
It takes most of the day, but they have a top notch restaurant, friendly customers to bullshit with, full run of most of the plant. Very clean, friendly, state of the art facility. Well worth it.
I even let my buddy (an R6 driver) ride it and he agreed it was money well spent
Sounds awesome. Unfortunately that's a pretty far drive from Toronto ;(

·
Registered
44 Posts
The funny thing is, I started out with that pic from this forum, which i loved. But only feel and function dictated what the final product turned out to be.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts