Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It was mentioned in another thread, and so begs a fine weekend question:
Is your butt breaking in the seat or is your butt just getting used to the seat? :confused: ;)

·
Registered
554 Posts
Neither for me! If I'm on the thing for more than 25 miles straight on the freeway or stuck in traffic for half and hour like today (lanesplitting in the rain sucks by the way!) I start to think yamaha carved the seat from wood! If I'm riding more agressively and moving around I dont notice it that much. Just the longer freeway rides where my a$$ is miserable! Looking forward to an upgrade but the rear shock is next for me, then seat.

Daniel

·
Registered
132 Posts
I notice the seat more on longer rides too, I am short and it pushes me way forward not at all comfy, must replace or fix .

·
Registered
122 Posts
Seat is fine with me. Road cyclist (10-12K per year) so my butt is use to thinly padded saddles. The 09 feels like a throne.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hated the seat at first. After a couple hundred miles it got better. Then a 200 mile day with no soreness after and not much fidgeting during and I kinda like it.

·
Registered
877 Posts
A "soft" seat would be more difficult to move around on or "hangoff".

Padded spandex 3/4 length bicycle shorts under padded leathers helps a bunch,

especially on 300 + mile days.

Reactions: Niner

·
Registered
734 Posts
I will get a custom russel set for mine may not be pretty but there called day long for a reason the one on my drz 400 looked like a stay free with wings but I did 515 miles one day

·
Vendor
2,315 Posts
Have any recommendations for padded shorts?
What do you use?
My wife and I have to pick up a pair.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Have any recommendations for padded shorts?
What do you use?
My wife and I have to pick up a pair.
Just whatever fits from a bicycle store.

·
Registered
881 Posts
No current plans to change the seat. I thought about altering or upgrading the seat during the first couple hundred miles, but even then I wasn't close to being convinced. After a thousand miles, the seat seems just right. As with most things, I may decide differently later, but not now. As a previous post mentioned, right now I'm more interested in getting the suspension either better set to my preference or upgraded.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Just whatever fits from a bicycle store.
+1, I'm surprised that more motorcyclists don't know about this nifty little tip-it makes an enormous difference in comfort. Not just because of the padding; unlike standard undies, bike shorts also don't bunch up and bind as you're sliding forward and back on the saddle over the course of a ride.

As C. Dolan says, pretty much any bike shorts will work. I wear one pair of Paramounts and a few pairs of Hinds (I'm an old fart, these date back to the Eighties).

·
Registered
877 Posts
+1, I'm surprised that more motorcyclists don't know about this nifty little tip-it makes an enormous difference in comfort. Not just because of the padding; unlike standard undies, bike shorts also don't bunch up and bind as you're sliding forward and back on the saddle over the course of a ride.

As C. Dolan says, pretty much any bike shorts will work. I wear one pair of Paramounts and a few pairs of Hinds (I'm an old fart, these date back to the Eighties).
You ain't the only one.

My still used bicycle is a Cannondale "mountain" bike I bought in 1984. :cool:

Reactions: DNFDOUG

·
Banned
161 Posts
Your butt gets used to the seat

1 - 15 of 15 Posts