Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a few reviews on the Yamaha comfort seat and seat concepts here on the forums, but no long term reviews. I have heard rumblings of some all day comfortable seats out there. If you guys have after market seats please tell me what you like about them and post up some photos please.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I will do a seat upgrade when I pull off my forks for rebuild.

Seth Laam custom seats are fantastic. I had him do the seat on my Ninja 1000. With the stock seat I would have major butt burn in about 30 minutes. After the seat overhaul I could ride all day in comfort.

Unlike many other custom seats, Seth uses your stock seat base so when you get it back it fits the bike perfectly.

He uses a custom blend of different weight foams so the seat will spread the load of your rear and you don't develop hot spots and butt burn. Then he sews a custom cover from your choice of many different looking materials.

The price for the FZ09 seat overhaul using a vinyl cover is $299. He also does real leather for those who want to spend a few bucks more.

Seth is a really nice guy and provides excellent customer service. You will not be disappointed.

Laam Custom Motorcycle Seats

·
Vendor
2,404 Posts
I have an Eddie Barrett custom seat.
I mainly NEEDED it because the passenger portion on the stock seat is nonexistent.
My wife was not very happy about 5 minutes into our first ride.

Eddie eliminated the slant forward, used a very comfortable "foam gel", sculpted an incredible passenger portion, covered it with a high quality vinyl, and added some very tasteful stitching. After a couple of these coupons it cost me $159 OTD!

The first day I rode it about 80 miles on it and loved every second of it.
TL/DR : I'm extremely happy with the Eddie Barrett Seats and Specialty Vehicle seat and my wife is ecstatic!

And this would be worthless without pictures:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That looks really good niner. I will have to look into that. Wish I had a donor seat. Hate to have the down time lol

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I have an Eddie Barrett custom seat.

my biggest fear about buying this seat, is that i will no longer want to sleep in my bed. Coincidentally this is my wife's greatest hope. (I know i should stop with the wife jokes).

Reactions: Niner

·
Registered
43 Posts
Is it possible to buy just the seat 'pan' anywhere? I've searched for one but haven't found anything yet. Thanks.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I did the group buy seat concepts and very happy I did, my problem with the stock seat was the forward slope the new seat is built up in the front and cut farther back. I got the gripper cover with carbon sides with red stiching looks great and works great but remember seats are like suspension everything is personal choice one size doesn't fit all. RR:cool:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I did the group buy seat concepts and very happy I did, my problem with the stock seat was the forward slope the new seat is built up in the front and cut farther back. I got the gripper cover with carbon sides with red stiching looks great and works great but remember seats are like suspension everything is personal choice one size doesn't fit all. RR:cool:

I did the same thing but my stitching is orange. Really nice and comfortable.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Guess I missed out on group buy. I found a local guy I am going to check out this week. If he uses good material I will give him a try.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Seat Concepts will probably honor the group buy price. Give them a call and find out. Definitely worth a call. They are nice folks .

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Yes. If I had to do it again, I would not go with the gripper cover, I like to slide a butt cheek off from side to side when hitting switchbacks and the gripper makes it harder, but the shape, quality, and comfort are well worth $150.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I cant say the Yamaha comfort seat or seat concepts seat is a touring seat that you sit on for hours. But either seat is a huge improvement over the stock butt buster.
I rode with both seats on several 200 plus mile rides. Seat concepts will change out foam one time for a $45 fee. I went two steps softer on the foam because it was too firm for me. I like the all carbon cover because you can move around. If you really want comfort I think you need one of these super wide seats that would be at home on a goldwing. Not really my cup of tee.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Bike shorts for long rides work wonders even with the stock seat imo

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
473 Posts
Agreed I just bought a pair of those cycle shorts with the gel inserts in the seat. Not cheap though $38 at dicks sporting goods.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts