Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a long distance seat.
Post all your seat mods here as well as reviews and price.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

I have put about 600 miles on the seat so far. The seat rest is only for trips with the GF. I have no complaints about this seat. During rides I only adjust a few times, no more than you would in a car. I did the "ride in service" as the picture shows, and had an awesome experience. Nice employees, a cafe for food, and shaded picnic table to relax at while the "Wizards" go to work.

Back to a review, before the seat a 30 minute ride was painful. I used to be glad it had a small tank so that I could take a break, and now I get caught off guard by the fuel indicator flashing! I just makes the whole experience better.

Will any seat be an improvement, yes. A 2X4 would be an improvement but I would recommend this seat to anyone. I have heard for shorter riders it can be hard to get feet on the ground, but I would still try it. It was hard for me to drop that kind of money for a seat at first, but I have no "ragrets".

About 740.00 including back rest. If you dont get the back rest its like 500.

http://www.corbin.com/

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
I can't see your pictures or review?
Are you a top sellerie?
I see where you edited your thread for "bad spelling"........looks like you might need to take another stab at it! :cool:

Reactions: cthouse

·
Registered
238 Posts
I bought a large Saddleman gel pad, pulled off the front portion of the seat cover, relieved the foam about 1/2", cut the gel pad to be slightly larger than the relieved portion, then set it into the foam and stapled the cover back on. It was a 2-hour project, but the result is a more comfortable seat. I will likely take the cover off again and take a bit more foam out of the back portion so hopefully I can scoot back a bit without constantly being shoved forward. No long trips yet, and I'm pretty sure it's not going to be as comfortable as some of the other aftermarket seats, but it's working pretty well so far. It does add a few pounds to the seat as the gel isn't light, but it's a $46 solution that's working for me.
Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Motorcycle accessories Bicycle saddle

Four months on the gel has apparently reacted with the stock vinyl seat cover, and the seat cover has stiffened up over the insert. The gel also seems to has lost some of its resilience so this experiment has not gone well. I bought a used stock seat on eBay and will see what I can do with it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like I will be going with the Corbin.
I'll let you all know how MY butt works with the Corbin as soon as I get it ordered and ride for a while.

Reactions: MoFZio

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did the Corbin gunfighter, just got it, have done about 500 miles so far, much improvement, nice saddle area and "back rest" still a bit firm but i know it takes time to break in, tried the yamaha comfort seat..DONT BOTHER! similar to stock with little improvement

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just got the Yamaha comfort seat. Big improvement on stock looks much better.For the type of riding I do its perfect. Bike Bandit with AMA discount 221.00 free ship and no tax.

·
Registered
416 Posts
That Corbin is sweet looking, but if I remember correctly it has a seem running across near where your ass would be. Is that right, Lucky?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Yes, there's a seam at the rear of the seat where the "backrest" begins, but honestly... I can't feel it.

Even if I'm sitting on the bike in my Spiderman Underoos (ie thin cloth between my buns and the seat) I can't feel the seam. Also, my butt isn't that far back in the seat when in my normal riding position.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I just had to modify the seat as it was a torture rack after a couple of hours. I didn't want to mail it off and $420 for a whole new seat is too much for me. I searched for a shop in the Houston area and found several, mostly for custom choppers. I selected 5 Star Upholstery in League City. They do custom seats for motorcycles, boats, cars, etc. I had them install a gel insert and add foam at the front, using the same cover. The cost was $200 with a 2 day turnaround. Since then, I've made a few trips over 2 hours. It is no more comfortable than the original but it never got to torture rack status. Also, the sliding forward was greatly reduced for which my "boys" are very grateful. I may take it back for an adjustment but first, I want to ride to Austin to visit the grandkids. That is about a 3 hour trip. 5 Star has a fabulous showroom and I took a couple of pictures but the file size is too large to post. Anyway, here is the seat.
Vehicle Auto part Tire Car Automotive exhaust
Rode to Austin last weekend and I am happy with the result. No "wedgie" situations were experienced. On the return trip, I was ready for a break about 30 miles from home base. I had the same feelings on my touring bike so I figure it would take a water bed seat for more improvement.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I got the Yamaha Comfort seat. For me the stock seat got uncomfortable after around 50 miles, the Comfort seat at around 100 miles. I'm still looking for a better solution for 200+ mile days, I'll probably go with a custom Corbin patterned after Lucky Devil's seat. Corbin's have worked for me on other bikes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just got this gem today. It's heavily modeled after the Top Sellerie seat and the hump does a fantastic job of keeping the passenger on their perch and not in my back pocket. I like the fact they were able to keep the slim profile at the rear.
Kudos to Dual Sport Touring (Megan) and their special seat guy-Eddie. Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motorcycle Motor vehicle Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Automotive exhaust Product Vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design Tire Tree Footwear Plant Adventure Personal protective equipment

1 - 20 of 67 Posts