Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Shad seat but couldn't resist trying the "grout" sponge mod. Instead of a grout sponge, I bought this ¾" rubber foam (I think it's neoprene) off eBay for about $11.. This stuff is very easy to cut with a blade or even scissors — even sand down with lower grit sandpaper — to trim and taper the edges. Search "motorcycle race seat foam for lots of options.
Filling that space in the OEM seat pan gets rid of the slope entirely. This particular foam provides a firmer, more supportive feel as a base for the stock foam. Perhaps too firm for some, but I like it.
I then had a local upholstery shop restaple the stock cover for $25.
I need to do a long term test of this mod v the Shad seat and will post impressions in a week or so.
If I were to do it over, I'd use ½" foam rubber or trim down the piece I installed because I just don't think ¾" is necessary.

Attachments

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Here's how level your seat can be. Need much more seat time for a fair comparison with the Shad.

Attachments

·
Registered
962 Posts
Hey Paso - I can't find it thicker than 1/2 inch. Can you post a link to the seller or more of a description to help me find it? I have some other projects that I would like to use some on.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
637 Posts
I like that mod.
I have a hand stapler that I can use to re-staple the seat cover, so that would be covered.
So no mods to the OEM foam piece then, just the insert to level it off?

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Great post Paso. Much better than $300+ for a new seat rendering the stock seat useless and piled up with all the other swapped out parts.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
This looks like an excellent solution to the stock seat "cavity" issue. The fact that it's cheap and easy makes it even better.
Another good source for foam rubber is a hobby shop that sells radio control airplanes. They use a dense latex rubber to protect electronic parts and it's avaliable in
1/4", 1/2" and 1" thickness. This stuff looks and feels just like the moulded material used in the seat. Sig and Hobbico were two brands I remember.
I was impressed with your review of the Shad seat and look foward to the comparison. Most certainly your wife/girlfriend will like the Shad but I'm thinkin you're gonna spend more solo time on the modified stocker, the shape just looks right. The one issue that could remain is the high traction, "stick to your" butt, Yamaha seat cover!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I like that mod.
I have a hand stapler that I can use to re-staple the seat cover, so that would be covered.
So no mods to the OEM foam piece then, just the insert to level it off?
I barely started to sand down the rear part of the rider's seat area before I stopped, so no mods to the stock foam are necessary, just add the insert. I still might remove the cover and sand down the stock seat edges, just a bit, to make the edges rounder and "friendlier" to my thighs.

I've put about 150 miles on this mod so far. It really does prevent you from sliding into the tank, which is the main reason I find the stocker so miserable. HOWEVER, the stock seat still doesn't seem as comfortable as it could be. I really can't figure it out; probably a combination of the overall shape (perhaps too narrow?) and the OEM cover material, which seems too rough and I think is responsible for the "butt burn" syndrome. I'm going to ride the modded seat another couple of hundred miles and then put the Shad back on and see what's what.

A heavy-duty hand stapler is on my shopping list. I didn't realize they're under $20! Great if you're going to experiment. Using it twice will pay for itself.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I put the Shad seat back on and have to admit it feels much better than the stock seat mod. The Shad foam is softer, almost feels plush, but still supportive after a 100-mile ride. The shad also gets rid of the slope into the tank. The Shad wins this one, but for under $50, the "grout" sponge mod comes close. If the OEM cover were smoother/softer and the seat was shaped slightly larger, I might not have ordered the Shad. If you only want to get rid of the slope and don't mind the feel of the stock cover and/or foam, I highly recommend doing this mod. For $50 you can't go wrong.

Reactions: Tigershark
1 - 11 of 11 Posts