Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Seat Mod Brainstorm

12K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  SteveFZ-09 
#1 ·
The FZ-09 seat is sub standard ... For the bike we got at the price I really can't complain much... But the seat has a slight incline that seems to push me forward.. Is also very loose, but thats a secondary priority to me.

I'm thinking there may be a way to level the seat out a little better. Maybe some type of gasket/spacer lining the front. I'll take a closer look when i get home.

If you guys have any make shift ideas... Lets hear em.

#3 ·
There is a member here (fizzerpilot) that has created a small kit to tighten up the seat. He calls it the seat snuggy kit I believe.
I don't think the incline of the seat can be corrected thru simple mount modifications. But there is a thread on a very cheap seat mod. (The cost of a grout sponge). Search grout sponge or seat mod..

Edit.. I see fizzer chimed in while I was posting..

#4 ·
Fizzers kit does not raise the front of the seat; it snugs it down all the way in the front. There is a mod on here that uses 3/4" furniture sliders where the rubber seat stoppers rest on the frame on either side of the rear tank mount on the cross member. It snugs the front and raises the seat at the same time. I have another solution for the rear. I am using rubber washer jet hose on the rear tabs and I am going going to put door edge guard on the top edge of the square slot the seat hooks go onto.

#6 ·
I simply added 1/4" felt chair leg pads to the nubs near the tank, so I guess the front of my seat is raised by 1/4".

I must be the only person on this forum that really doesn't mind the stock seat. I agree that it could use better foam, but as for the shape, I like it. It allows me to sit wherever I want depending on the current ride. I can sit forward like on a dirt bike and slide side to side easily for corner carving, or I can sit back a bit for more long term comfort.

I also wear cycling shorts with the ass pad when I ride. I started wearing them at the track several years ago and for the past few years on the street also. Maybe that makes the difference for me with this crappy seat. The only time I don't wear cycling shorts is on my commute to work, and I do notice the seat is substandard but still not horrible. Jeans and underwear makes any seat feel terrible, because it's not the seat making your ass sore. LOL

#7 ·
........I must be the only person on this forum that really doesn't mind the stock seat. I agree that it could use better foam, but as for the shape, I like it. It allows me to sit wherever I want depending on the current ride. I can sit forward like on a dirt bike and slide side to side easily for corner carving, or I can sit back a bit for more long term comfort......
I have no issues with the stock seat either.

#8 · (Edited)
I used the felt on front tabs, it snugged it up nicely in front and raises it slightly... It is more level, eliminating upward play to snug but fizz is right... Not enough play to conpletely rectify, but i am happier with it.

My apologies for a repetetive thread that has already been covered. Thank you for responding gentlemen.

Kaiser

#10 ·
I did the same thing. Used small self adhesive furniture pads near fuel tank where rubber seat pan grommets contact. It raised the seat and eliminated some of the free play. There was a guy on the forum that used a grout sponge installed under the cover to build up the front. Go with the seat concepts!

#13 ·
#17 ·
Hey Mcmann,
The seat mod looks nice and pretty simple. Have you got a photo looking straight down at it or how about a view from right angle to show the difference in the slope to the tank. Have you put many miles on it? Is the sponge firm enough? I really want to modify my Seat Concepts seat. It is better than the stock, but not much IMHO.

#23 ·
In my opinion the seat does not slope more than on most super-sports. But with clip-ons there is always some weight on the wrists which prevents sliding down under normal riding. I installed a Pro-Taper bar which puts a bit of weight on my wrists. This does not work under braking but I use the old school method ie feather the rear along with the front brake, problem solved. For very hard braking I brace against the bar. As far as the seat itself, I had the countour modified and a softer foam (1/2") put on top by al local shop at low cost. All issues resolved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.