Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the R&G Tidy Tail and the seat key cover fell off. Anyone have a suggestion for a seat key cover. The whole cylinder is exposed.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I install a black plastic cover that fit tigh on if after 5500km!

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I have the same tidy tail, I used a couple black tie wraps to hold it in place. One around the rubber cap & one through the first tie wrap which also wrapped around part of the tidy tail. It hasn't moved since I installed it.

They should have noted something like this in the install instructions, since the rubber cap is a loose fit over the lock.

You should be able to do the same thing to keep any replacement cap in place.

R&G-TT-KCap (1).jpg

Edit: - after two years, the rubber cap hasn't moved.

·
Registered
511 Posts
This is what I did to mine I used zip ties to hold it and some good double back tape it works great.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I bought a Honda GL1800 right side fairing pocket cable (<$5)and fitted to the lock mechanism. It's a direct snap in installation after you take the lock plate off and loosen the latch mechanism bolts a bit first. Once in place and tightened back up, I routed the cable to come out near the regulator rectifier with a black plastic electrical tie fashioned into a pull loop and attached with some heat shrink tubing to the free end of the cable. It's really easy to use and convenient, too.
Put one on your bike and you won't need the key lock.
IMG_7871.JPG IMG_7874.JPG IMG_7878.JPG IMG_7880.jpg IMG_7881.JPG

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought a Honda GL1800 right side fairing pocket cable (<$5)and fitted to the lock mechanism. It's a direct snap in installation after you take the lock plate off and loosen the latch mechanism bolts a bit first. Once in place and tightened back up, I routed the cable to come out near the regulator rectifier with a black plastic electrical tie fashioned into a pull loop and attached with some heat shrink tubing to the free end of the cable. It's really easy to use and convenient, too.
View attachment 10638 View attachment 10639 View attachment 10640
View attachment 10641 View attachment 10642 [/QUOT
That's an incredible feat of engineering. I'm just looking for a cap to protect the key hole. I did reach out to R&G in CA but they don't have the part. Maybe a Home Depot will have something that will work. I read someone used a cap from a leg of a chair. I report when I find an answer.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I just went to the hardware store and bought a 20mm rubber stool leg foot. It slips over tight enough not to vibrate off, looks fine, has done about 3 or 4,000 ks and never fell off and the lock works good as new, I think it set me back 20c.

·
Registered
14 Posts
edgyver That is awesome! I haven't looked at the lock in that much detail, but did you need to drill the braket or add a piece of metal? Being able to buy the cable and snap it in sounds way to good to be true.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Somebody on here posted about retrofitting the cap of a trailer wire-harness. If memory serves, he got the connector at wallmart for a few bucks, and modded the cover.

·
Registered
768 Posts
edgyver That is awesome! I haven't looked at the lock in that much detail, but did you need to drill the braket or add a piece of metal? Being able to buy the cable and snap it in sounds way to good to be true.
Macgyver03 & triman11427 :
It really is a plug and play installation. If I had it to do over, it wouldn't take 10 minutes and requires zero modification to the bike .
The latch mechanism has a small tang that the key lock presses against, releasing the seat. The tang comes with a small slot already cut. When you loosen the latch mounting bolts, the Honda cable end can be slipped between the latch and mount and into place through the slot. The latch base already has a place to snap the green part of the cable into, also. It's probably used precisely like that on another model Yamaha.

cable detail.JPG

As soon as I saw how the latch was made, I was reminded of the fairing pocket cable on my former GL1800. I paid $3.58 + $5.95 shipping for the cable from Partzilla. (It cost me more than $5.95 in gas to ride to my nearest Honda dealer.)
Even if you elect to keep the key lock, it's an easy, cheap mod that works great!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would have to reinstall the plate which was removed when installing the R&G Tidy Tail. The PO did the install and I'm planning on getting the OEM parts this week. Once I have everything I can better understand what needs to be done.

Reactions: edgyver

·
Registered
768 Posts
I would have to reinstall the plate which was removed when installing the R&G Tidy Tail. The PO did the install and I'm planning on getting the OEM parts this week. Once I have everything I can better understand what needs to be done.
In the mean time, if you get curious and have 5 minutes free, take the seat off & remove the tail fairing bolts nearest the latch mechanism. This will let you gently move the tail plastic aside and unbolt the four bolts holding the seat latch in place. Once those are out, the latch simply lifts out - nothing else is holding it. Have a look at the latch itself and the cable mod install will become apparent. =)

·
Registered
768 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
View attachment 10638 View attachment 10639 View attachment 10640 View attachment 10641 View attachment 10642
What's the part number? That lock thingy is a POC. Thanks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I contacted the PO who doesn't have the OEM setup so it looks like either the latch mod or simple cap is what I'll do. Now that I see how easy it is I'll just do the mod. Thanks

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In the mean time, if you get curious and have 5 minutes free, take the seat off & remove the tail fairing bolts nearest the latch mechanism. This will let you gently move the tail plastic aside and unbolt the four bolts holding the seat latch in place. Once those are out, the latch simply lifts out - nothing else is holding it. Have a look at the latch itself and the cable mod install will become apparent. =)
I did as you suggested. Ordered the cable. Looks easy peasy. Thanks for the photos, they were a big help.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I did as you suggested. Ordered the cable. Looks easy peasy. Thanks for the photos, they were a big help.
how did you order the cable? I looked at a Honda website parts company and all they know how to process is a part number???
thx, g

1 - 20 of 24 Posts