Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just an FYI.... since I didn’t take pictures. Sorry about that.

Anyone that likes the look of the stock seat but hates the comfort...

I bought a 16x18 sheet of sun mate foam 2” thick medium firm, from dynamic systems. I pulled the seat apart and cut the stock foam at the passenger intersection , then sprayed 3M adhesive onto the stock pan (front section) and just layed the sunmate foam on the whole front half.

Shaped it a bit with a bread knife (didn’t tell my wife) and then one of those 5 dollar 3M foam shapers to shape it in. There was one part near the front where I had to glue a little more foam on (maybe 1/2”) and shape in smooth. Put the stock cover back on with staples and voila.

Took a 150 mile ride yesterday to test it and it’s unbelievable the difference that made. Felt like the rear shock was changed out to something less stiff.

I can take a pick of the finished product but it looks exactly like the stock seat.

15 thumbs up for the sunmate medium firm 2” foam. Awesome stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
This is just what I have been pondering over, its so thin and hard that little scalloped out piece. Love to see a pic of the finished article Dundie.

Thanks for the inspiration to continue.

AB.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is just what I have been pondering over, its so thin and hard that little scalloped out piece. Love to see a pic of the finished article Dundie.

Thanks for the inspiration to continue.

AB.
I cut that silly tool bump out with a dremel- forgot to mention that- similar to the seat concepts instruction on YouTube. I just used a couple layers of duct tape instead of a new plastic piece. No reason, just figured I could always plug something in later from the bottom if needed.

I reused the waterproof inside plastic from the stock seat.

These pics admittedly suck, I’ll try to take a few more tomorrow

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
1,818 Posts
I cut that silly tool bump out with a dremel- forgot to mention that- similar to the seat concepts instruction on YouTube...
I’ve been reluctant to do that mod, because the “bump” is there to protect the main fuse block. Do you not smash that thing without the bump there? Or is there really enough clearance without it? Especially if you glue a flat piece of plastic in its place, as Seat Concepts suggests... 😬

I suppose I could use some Play-Doh to see how squished things get under the seat. Unfortunately, my kids have outgrown it, so I never have a ready supply around the house like I used to... LOL

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’ve been reluctant to do that mod, because the “bump” is there to protect the main fuse block. Do you not smash that thing without the bump there? Or is there really enough clearance without it? Especially if you glue a flat piece of plastic in its place, as Seat Concepts suggests...

View attachment 161498

I suppose I could use some Play-Doh to see how squished things get under the seat. Unfortunately, my kids have outgrown it, so I never have a ready supply around the house like I used to... LOL
The piece of duct tape I used hasn’t deflected much at all. There isn’t any smashing but if I see any evidence I’ll just cut a piece of plastic to size. There is a lot of room there... Yamaha definitely did overkill.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
looking good.

You can also take your seat to an upholsterer. it like a $100 job if you don't want to do it yourself.
Not sure if they would use sunmate foam .... which I think is part of why I’m having such a massive improvement. Doesn’t matter to me though, this job wasn’t about the money. I spent about 50 bucks, but I would have been happy to spend 500 if I had seen anything I liked out there in the market. I wanted to keep the stock burgundy cover.

Besides, no one works on my bike but me, on anything. For me, that’s part of the fun.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I looked at it more closely last night. There is still a decent indent with the hump removed, but it’s hard to tell how much clearance there actually is.

The play doh idea is genius man. Haha. It would be fun to verify how much room there is and that would be an easy way. I don’t have any around either, my kids are way past that stage too. I’ll try and think of a way to measure and then update.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
1,818 Posts
Yeah, Play Doh is handy for things like that.

I have often used it to mount frame sliders on sport bikes, when you have to drill a hole through your plastic (!) that lines up with an engine mount bolt that you can’t see. I had to do that on a customer’s brand new ZX-10 one time, and he didn’t want more than a 1/8” gap around the sliders. It came out perfect using the Play Doh trick...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts