Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 5"11, 210 pounds and this stock seat is absolutely killing me. I came from a 2010 GSXR600 with no seat issues. After about 20 minutes I start pulling out the monkey dance.

Has anybody tried both the Seat Concepts and Yamaha Comfort seat? The shipping and installation is a little daunting on the Seat Concepts (I live in Canada)

The Corbin / Saddlemen costs $550 (not including shipping) .....

Maybe an Airhawk would be the best option?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yes I have purchased both. 150 mile days on both seats. I'm 235 lbs. The comfort seat I bought first. Butt still hurt so I sent my OEM seat to seat concepts. If you go the seat concepts route you might ask for softer foam. I got 2 steps softer. I do believe there are some more comfortable options for twice the money. Airhawk is not a good option for this kind of bike that can speed up and slow down rapidly. I tried one of those airhawk pads and just about went over the handlebars upon hard braking. Your basically floating on a mini air mattress. Maybe OK on a cruiser. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I have purchased both. 150 mile days on both seats. I'm 235 lbs. The comfort seat I bought first. Butt still hurt so I sent my OEM seat to seat concepts. If you go the seat concepts route you might ask for softer foam. I got 2 steps softer. I do believe there are some more comfortable options for twice the money. Airhawk is not a good option for this kind of bike that can speed up and slow down rapidly. I tried one of those airhawk pads and just about went over the handlebars upon hard braking. Your basically floating on a mini air mattress. Maybe OK on a cruiser. My 2 cents.
Thanks for the response Orangeblaze, how's your ass on the Seat Concepts? :p

I think that might be the best option and just do the cover myself.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'd be interested too on the seat concept thoughts as well...though i was originally thinking of only putting a gel pad within my OEM seat...don't know if that would do the trick though...

G

·
Gel pad I installed has tripled my seat time. but the seat still blows after 1 hr or so. I will wait for more options to come out over time.

·
Registered
83 Posts
+1 seat concepts. Its kind of a pain to put to install but well worth it. And the orange stitching makes a nice blend of color.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I'm 6'0 and 250lbs and even after 1300 miles my OEM seat felt the same as the day I bought it. My Seat Concepts seat felt great from mile 1! I have around 400 miles on it so far and seems to be breaking in a good bit.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Weird I'm 6'1, 190lbs and the Concept Seat basically just changes the pressure points and now it's an an even more uncomfortable area. Considering trying the Yamaha Confort seat. That or I find a qualified artisan to fix my Concept seat to make it comfy for long rides...

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Never tried the Yamaha comfort seat...but with the stocker, my butt couldn't take it after about 30 min. I got the Seat Concepts seat, and it made a world of difference...I never felt uncomfortable in the SC seat...even after a few hrs...of course its always good to take a break every little while to stretch your legs etc...but I loved the SC seat, and highly recommend it.

They will install it for $20...which you should totally do, because its a PITA to do yourself

oh, btw, I am 5'11", and was ~220lbs when I was riding

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm looking at seat concepts I just don't wont to have to send the pan away where as I live in canada any one have the seat installed in canada ? If so what's the coast for the install ?? I think a cinder block would be easier on my ass then this seat. :)

·
Registered
657 Posts
The Corbin / Saddlemen costs $550 (not including shipping) .....
Where have you found Saddlemen for sale in Canada? Everyone I've tried doesn't offer the one for our FZ's.

For the time being, while I was riding the Smokeys, I picked up a couple of AirRider pads for me and the passenger. Gel/Memory Foam. They have made a great improvement.

It's tough to pull the trigger on a new seat, as what works for one person, may not for the next.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
$550 is the price including shipping to Canada.

I've since ordered Seat Concepts... hopefully that will improve the ride ;)

Where have you found Saddlemen for sale in Canada? Everyone I've tried doesn't offer the one for our FZ's.

For the time being, while I was riding the Smokeys, I picked up a couple of AirRider pads for me and the passenger. Gel/Memory Foam. They have made a great improvement.

It's tough to pull the trigger on a new seat, as what works for one person, may not for the next.

·
Registered
272 Posts
For my money the sc seat is the way to go and they do have different foams so you can customize the seat for your style. RR:cool:

·
Registered
554 Posts
I did a 3k mile road trip last month and had several 500+ mile days. Seat Concept seat must be broken in by now! It worked well, but my butt was sore by the end of the trip. I had to take breaks every 100 miles or so too. I also would suggest not getting the gripper material on the seat portion of the seat. I had them make me a second cover with the carbon fiber looking stuff on the rider seat and the gripper stuff on the passenger seat. Much more comfy.

Daniel

·
Registered
4,444 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well, you can buy it either from Yamaha Canada or from shad importer (Kimpex I guess) I paid around 530$CAD from yamaha, delivered, taxes included. It was early 2016. I know the price is now a bit more expensive.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts