Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the better all carbon or gripper/carbon on seat concept?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I first had the gripper - then switched to carbon, so I have some insight into this. Basically what it comes down to is how you like to ride.

The Gripper is awesome around town or on the highway - it keeps you in place very well under hard acceleration and braking. That however comes with the price of not being able to slide around as freely. I do not commute, and pretty much just ride the local canyon roads, and when I ride them, especially the tighter and more technical ones or at the track, I like to slide halfway off the seat. So I am constantly going side to side. With the gripper seat I needed to do more lifting off the seat to move. I switched over to the carbon and I can easily slide side to side now. I really like it for my riding style, however some of my friends do not like it at all because they do not feel as connected to the bike/seat due to how slippery the carbon is.

tl;dr - if you like to slide side to side get carbon - if you like to stay in one place on the seat get gripper.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Kirk pretty much sums it up.

I have the seat concepts with the gripper cover and it grips my butt quite well, sometimes too well.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Kirk pretty much sums it up.

I have the seat concepts with the gripper cover and it grips my butt quite well, sometimes too well.
Did you ship them your orig seat or what....???

·
Registered
554 Posts
I also started with the all gripper seat cover and switched to carbon in the front and gripper in the back. I like this because if I ever take a passenger on this bike I want them to stay put.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Did you ship them your orig seat or what....???
I installed the cover with the help of a $20 pneumatic stapler from Harbor Freight. My electric staple gun and my manual staple gun worked about 1 staple in 10 attempts. The pneumatic one worked every time.

Now that I have the pneumatic staple gun, doing dirtbike seat covers will be very easy.

Reactions: Steve101

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Was it difficult to put down the foam padding and install/staple the cover...???

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I order all carbon because i only 5'5'' and o need to be able to slip at light to be safe!!!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I installed the cover with the help of a $20 pneumatic stapler from Harbor Freight. My electric staple gun and my manual staple gun worked about 1 staple in 10 attempts. The pneumatic one worked every time.

Now that I have the pneumatic staple gun, doing dirtbike seat covers will be very easy.
I was looking at the same one today. I've always used a manual staple gun for my dirt bikes but it sounds like pneumatic is the way to go for the FZ seat.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Was it difficult to put down the foam padding and install/staple the cover...???
I did not bother gluing the foam down to the pan. I just put it in place, set the cover out in the sun for an hour to get it hot, then put it on the seat according to their instructions.

Reactions: Steve101

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I am not overly thrilled with my gripper. I have a hard time sliding my ass cheek from side to side in the twisties.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just did a 2 hr run on the stock seat and the last 1/2 hr of the drive to home was rather painful. Is the the seat concepts seat comfortable ? I have look at a lot of seats but I don't like the ones that are (puffy) looking . The slim design is what I'm after

·
Registered
263 Posts
I just did a 2 hr run on the stock seat and the last 1/2 hr of the drive to home was rather painful. Is the the seat concepts seat comfortable ? I have look at a lot of seats but I don't like the ones that are (puffy) looking . The slim design is what I'm after
I like the slim style too. I thought about trying yamaha's comfort seat but wasnt sure how much better it would be over stock. Im giving seat concepts a serious consideration.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I like the slim style too. I thought about trying yamaha's comfort seat but wasnt sure how much better it would be over stock. Im giving seat concepts a serious consideration.
I wouldn't buy another seat from The Company who skimped on the stock seat to save a few bucks....at my butt's expense!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Not a Yamaha issue, it's a rider preference issue. This bike was not designed for long hauls and the seat reflects that. I have zero problems with the stock seat, and I don't think anyone else that bought the bike for it's intended purpose has an 'issue' with it either...they may swap it with something more suited to their taste, but that doesn't mean the stock seat is crap. The only thing I would change about it is the slope, and that is only because I am used to flat MX seats. Not saying it's a comfortable seat...it wasn't meant to be. MX seats aren't comfortable either, but they are also not designed to cruise down the highway on.

Case in point, you don't buy a sports car for the comfortable seats, why would you buy a hooligan/street fighter style bike and expect a comfortable seat? I don't understand why people think this is a "problem" with the bike.

/rant

·
Registered
111 Posts
Quality of the seat is good and is well constructed. But if you have this many people complaining about one huge item (the seat)
I know the bike is not for touring but I'm lucky to get a half hour straight run without discomfort. I'm trying different riding positions and still the same out come. I would think where the most pressure is applied ( your ass) you think they would consider adding a little more comfort. IMO. I'm changing mine out for a cinder block. It might be more comfortable. Lol jk

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Not a Yamaha issue, it's a rider preference issue. This bike was not designed for long hauls and the seat reflects that. I have zero problems with the stock seat, and I don't think anyone else that bought the bike for it's intended purpose has an 'issue' with it either...they may swap it with something more suited to their taste, but that doesn't mean the stock seat is crap. The only thing I would change about it is the slope, and that is only because I am used to flat MX seats. Not saying it's a comfortable seat...it wasn't meant to be. MX seats aren't comfortable either, but they are also not designed to cruise down the highway on.

Case in point, you don't buy a sports car for the comfortable seats, why would you buy a hooligan/street fighter style bike and expect a comfortable seat? I don't understand why people think this is a "problem" with the bike.

/rant
Your rant has some merit, but IMHO Yamaha skimped on the seat to save....ya don't design a "Street Bike" with a crappy seat assuming its a 1/2 hr ride.......it was all about the $$$.

When I find an "activity" I enjoy & a bike I Love to Ride, I'm NOT thinking 30 min max and off to something else.....

The Stock Seat is lacking:cool:

Reactions: Th3 VVay and Kilo

·
Registered
101 Posts
Save your money. The seat concepts seat is just a tad bit better but in no ways perfect. I am 6' 185lbs and the seat sucks in my opinion. I am still constantly moving/shifting around to get comfortable. I also did the cover with the help of a friend and a pneumatic stapler which made it easier to tackle. I wish I would have taken better pics of the foam for you fellow FZ riders to see.

·
Registered
70 Posts
seatconcet.jpg

6'2 175lb. With stock seat if I sat really close to the tank it was ok, but if I had to sit little bit away from the tank it hurt my tail bone real bad just after 30mins riding. Seat Concepts gripper seat might not be very comfortable if you prefer sliding on it, but if you like to stay put in one position its way more comfortable than stock seat. It might not be the best seat around, but the quality is not bad, and I've not had any issues with my tail bone (touch wood) after changing to seat concepts.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Your rant has some merit, but IMHO Yamaha skimped on the seat to save....ya don't design a "Street Bike" with a crappy seat assuming its a 1/2 hr ride.......it was all about the $$$.

When I find an "activity" I enjoy & a bike I Love to Ride, I'm NOT thinking 30 min max and off to something else.....
Agree to disagree...if ya can't handle 30 minutes in the stock seat, I think your ass is the problem. :D

When I'm riding the twisties, the seat could be made of marble for all I care. As others have said, if you're gripping the bike with your legs and have good posture, the seat really isn't bad at all. My last long ride was about 500 miles and at the end of the day, sure, I was ready to stand up. I'm ready to stand up after driving my truck for 5 hours too. The next day we went back out for another 300 miles and my ass was fine. 6'1" 200lbs BTW.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts