Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

SEAT COMPARISON

10K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  ChesterBurnet 
#1 ·
Has anyone had the experience of having both the Yamaha comfort seat and a Seat Concepts seat or kit? If so, how would you compare the 2 as far as comfort goes? I've got the original (stock seat), had the Sargent and now have the comfort seat. Original sucked for me, the Sargent was improved but only got me about another 30 minutes of riding without feeling like I was sitting on a cinder block. And the comfort seat is about the same maybe a little better. I've got a bony butt (TMI I know). So anything y'all can compare to the comfort seat and have similar attributes as me and a similar problem, I'd like to hear what has worked for you. Even about these seat pads like the air hawk and gel pads. Thanks as always.

#2 ·
I find it interesting how different we all find each seat in terms of comfort. I actually find my stock seat more comfortable than my Sargent seat (previously yours!) . I just bought a comfort seat tonight to try. Looking forward to others comments. I think there are other things that influence motorcycle seat comfort as well. I’m a taller rider, and with the shorter Sargent seat, my legs got a little cramped which lead to hip discomfort on a long ride Sunday. The comfort seat being a taller seat might just be the ticket for those suffering hip pressure.

#3 · (Edited)
On a very early MT-09 Tracer I fitted a Seat Concepts kit. It was a nicely put together item, with gel insert, but simply didn't work for me. The Tracer 900 GT that was my last-but-one bike (before the SP) had a pretty good (for me) OE seat - so Yamaha can do it - and although out of force of habit I purchased the BAGSTER seat for that bike, it really didn't need it. BAGTERS are expensive, but my experience with at least three, maybe four, has been that they are worth every penny. And the available permutations of material choice, colours, etc., do allow genuine customising of the end product. There are few things about motorcycles that are as subjective as the seats, unfortunately, and as I have said before "one man's seat is another man's poison"..

#6 ·
Yeh Moto I know. I was gonna lay all this out in the other post but I would've overwhelmed everyone. But these are my 2 big issues while riding. I'm 6' and 170lb, 33" waist. So I'm not a stick, however I missed the line when they were handing out natural seat cushion (knowwhatImean). There were some good suggestions in the other post that I think will help from that issue. Hopefully I can find a solution to this one. I'm looking forward to more input. I know all this is a little personal but we all want to enjoy the ride and not have it be an endurance contest against uncomfort and pain otherwise what's the point. So if we all share our experiences (good and bad) then maybe it'll help somebody else.

#7 ·
I've had both on my first gen. The seat concepts was a definite improvement over the stock seat and the yamaha comfort seat is a huge improvement over the seat concepts seat....for me anyway. With the comfort seat and some furniture rubber feat under the front of the seat to lift it up a bit, my bike is now all day comfortable.

#10 · (Edited)
Steroids - looks a bit like it - but still flat-footable! From somewhere - no, made in France, but available as stock from many Euro dealers, such as chromeburner.nl, my choice being motostorm.it. Note the appreciably thicker pillion perch. All the surfaces you see (material and surface treatment), the colour of the piping and embroidery graphics, foam innards, and more, can be customised to your taste from BAGSTER's website extensive menu of choices.

NOTE: Please be aware that the pix below are not all of the same bike or model - I just included the top pic to show one possible (red) choice of the different seat piping and embroidery. That pic is of a MT09 Tracer: the other pix (blue) are of my late SP. Had I been prepared to wait some time I could have had the SP suffix included in the embroidery.

Two points to note: (1) BAGSTER makes its own seat pans, so you do not have to send in yours (if ordering custom from them), nor sacrifice the OE pan: and (2) non-EU residents do not pay the sales/ VAT tax of about 19% (IIRC), an appreciable cost-saving which for overseas buyers covers most if not all the shipping costs.

Very highly recommended by this four-time buyer, whose bum thought it had died and gone to heaven after the first decent ride!

Reactions: semize
#11 ·
Hi, I am new to this forum and to the FJ09 world. So interested in the experience out there on replacement seats. I am 5'11" and 200+ lbs and live in Canada. So looking for a good comfortable Seat that is not crazy expensive. Ordering form teh USA makes things 30% or more . So a Corbin or Sargent are pricey. Are the Bagster more expensive then Corbin or Sargent? I like the idea of a custom seat but anyone know where in Canada you can order one?

#14 ·
I rode with another FZ-09 rider, he had the Sargent and I have the standard Seat Concepts. After changing bikes for about 45 minutes we both agreed we liked the Seat Concepts better. My butt doesn't get restless until 4+ hours of twisties.

#16 ·
Regarding Seat Concepts, how grippy is the "gripper" fabric?

I have to slide an inch or two to the left every time I stop to put a foot down. If it adds too much resistance I might have to go for the "low slip" fabric. I'm also assuming they add a little height?

#17 · (Edited)
I had the SC comfort seat after being an early adopter of the Sargent, one of the first made. Sadly the Sargent was just design, not comfort, and really expensive. The Seat Concepts version was much more comfortable than stock. That and an adjustment to the front to fix the slope, made the bike much better for longer rides. I had two FZ's ('14 & '16), so I played around with suspension and seat position a number of times. I don't envy people trying to find the perfect seat, since our butts are so different....and I'm done.

#18 ·
Yes, finding, buying, trying, selling... wash, rinse, repeat. It gets old. I just want to enjoy the bike and don't want to lose money figuring it out. I learned a costly lesson on my last bike. I went for all the bling before fit and comfort. In the end I didn't enjoy riding it and sold it for a healthy loss. So now I'm gun shy. I envy the peeps that have no problem with the stocker, easy peazy. What do you ride now?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.