Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm missing the FZ East Coast rally in GA due to schedule conflicts, but a friend and I are planning a quick visit to eastern KY mostly just because we havn't been there yet :p I realize this site has KY as 'midwest', but figured this area would be bettern known by the Souteast folks.

We're planning one day down and one day back from western PA, but what I'm looking for feeback on is our 'loop day'. Starting and finishing at Paintsville Lake SP, my first cut is here: http://goo.gl/maps/54kMF

Any advice on nearby alternates that might be better or especially if anything on the loop is to be avoided or even a completely different loop suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
241 Posts
HWY 160 between Cumberland, KY and Appalachia, VA is an awesome road and not too far from where you will be...great views when you are at the top of Black Mountain. I haven't ventured too far into Eastern KY, but I've heard some stories about wet coal dust on the roads (think snot) and the coal bucket drivers are on a mission - so watch out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just to 'close the loop' on this: we did the trip this past weekend and all went well! We had a bit of rain on the way down and the way home, but the loop day was completely dry - and free of any aggressive truck drivers!

I see the google maps transition has broken the link above - lets try this one: https://goo.gl/maps/xPKGL
160 was in the plan from the beginning and possibly worth the trip by itself - maybe the longest string of 'twisties' that I've ever been on.
606 leading into 160 was also really great (though a bit 'cow path' for a bit in the middle) with both medium sweepers and quick transitions.
50 was also amazing - all the way from Salyersville to Jackson was a mix of medium to fast sweepers with the occasional twisty bit to keep you on your toes - just a fantastic ride and near zero traffic on a Sunday morning.
The other parts of the loop were good and/or acceptable transition roads, but nothing 'destination worthy' imho.
We also hit some good stuff in WV on the way home that was new to us - 52, 97, 20 and 15 were all really good.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts