Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello FZ09 Forum!

During the winter I sent of my ECU to get flashed. After the flash I'm experiencing some issues. On random occasion the bike turns off with the error code SD_50. According to haynes this is "ECU malfunction, fault code may not be displayed - Engine will not run" due to "ECU internal memory malfunction". Then the bike wont start until i turn the ignition off and on again. Then the bike works like normal for a random period of time. Sometimes it has been 30 seconds between the errors and other times two hours.

The company whom flashed my ECU said that it might be connectors to the ECU that are faulty. So I replaced the entire cable harness on the bike which took me about 40h work time. And yesterday I test rode it. After two minutes the same problem occured. No answer from the company that flashed yet.

Data about the bike:
  • 2014 MT09
  • Full exhaust
  • DNA Filter
  • Airbox mod
  • 17 000km/ 10500 miles
  • New battery

I rode the bike all fall with not issues prior to the ECU flash.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Any recommendations?
Besides getting the company to fix what they broke... Buy another ECU and swap it in to make 100% sure it's the flash.

Then, once that's established, get your ECU reflashed by a reputable source.
I'm honestly shocked you spent 40hrs changing a wiring harness when just buying and swapping an ECU would have given you a quick answer.

·
Vendor
1,467 Posts
it may be the fly by wire settings are too aggressive,

is it happening in A mode?

see if it still happens in STD or B mode

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it may be the fly by wire settings are too aggressive,

is it happening in A mode?

see if it still happens in STD or B mode
Yes, Happens in all modes.. The flash company told me that it might be connector issue still even after harness replacement... It tends to happen the most in high rpm during aggressive riding. Most vibrations and movement? Any advice for better connectivity?

·
Vendor
1,467 Posts
Yes, Happens in all modes.. The flash company told me that it might be connector issue still even after harness replacement... It tends to happen the most in high rpm during aggressive riding. Most vibrations and movement? Any advice for better connectivity?

5500 ecu flashes ive never had a customer with a "connectivity issue" even ones that have broke off the locking tabs on the ecu connectors. I dont think thats it

Ask them what software they used?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm with MK3Brent on this one. Swap in a new, stock ECU to eliminate / identify that as an issue. If no issues with the new ECU there aren't any "connection issues", at least with the harness, and you can ask the tuner for your money back.

If the new ECU has the same issue, well then...

But if you had the tuner do the work with the ECU, IE remove and reinstall it, i'd lean towards them having caused the issue to begin with. Perhaps they bent a pin on the ECU and straightened it, but in the process cracked the solder point. More vibrations at speed could cause a momentary disconnect. Or the flash was borked somehow, perhaps a few bits got flipped... I'm not sure how firmware updates work on the ECU, hopefully there's a validation process that does a checksum to verify the code was uploaded successfully. This is very weakly informed conjecture though, I've never touched an ECU in my life. But I do have a comp sci / digital logic background.

·
Vendor
1,467 Posts
I'm with MK3Brent on this one. Swap in a new, stock ECU to eliminate / identify that as an issue. If no issues with the new ECU there aren't any "connection issues", at least with the harness, and you can ask the tuner for your money back.

If the new ECU has the same issue, well then...

But if you had the tuner do the work with the ECU, IE remove and reinstall it, i'd lean towards them having caused the issue to begin with. Perhaps they bent a pin on the ECU and straightened it, but in the process cracked the solder point. More vibrations at speed could cause a momentary disconnect. Or the flash was borked somehow, perhaps a few bits got flipped... I'm not sure how firmware updates work on the ECU, hopefully there's a validation process that does a checksum to verify the code was uploaded successfully. This is very weakly informed conjecture though, I've never touched an ECU in my life. But I do have a comp sci / digital logic background.
this is why i asked what software was used, woolich and ftecu have sum checks im not sure about any of the freeware thats floating out there. Also ftecu built limits into the fly by wire settings to prevent exactly the problem the op is having that were discovered shortly after the software was released for the fz09 in 2014.

There are 2 throttle position sensors on the bike

1 the throttle cables are connected to and is opened with your right wrist

the other the computer opens , this one is what determines how much throttle you actually get.

if the computer controlled one gets to far ahead of the one controlled by the cables the computer reads this as a possible run away situation and to be safe puts the bike in limp mode and displays SD-50 on the dash. limp mode means the bike will idle but your throttle has no effect on the tps controlled by the computer. Meaning your throttle doesnt work. You recycle the key and the system does a check and if all is good the bike runs like normal till the condition happens again.

if your an old guy like me you will likely remember reports of audi cars getting into run away situations when they first went to fly by wire systems. Im sure that is when safety systems like this were put into place.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts