Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So…since installing my Fabbri touring screen I have noticed front end wobble at highway speeds. I will have to take it off and do some comparison runs to confirm this.

Example - today during several roll ons from 65 to 90+ I felt something like a wind blast induced wobble. Not close to full-on tank slappers but also not a comforting feeling for sure. I tried consciously relaxing my grip on the bars, no change at all.

I tried leaning over into a small tuck and that did seem to help a lot, but not 100% . Again, I am going to try some runs without the screen, and hope that it a simple cause and effect.

Being that the screen basically attaches to the triple tree and forks, I can see how wind pressure could easily cause this, on a front end that is already very light and touchy.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
225 Posts
So…since installing my Fabbri touring screen I have noticed front end wobble at highway speeds. I will have to take it off and do some comparison runs to confirm this.

Example - today during several roll ons from 65 to 90+ I felt something like a wind blast induced wobble. Not close to full-on tank slappers but also not a comforting feeling for sure. I tried consciously relaxing my grip on the bars, no change at all.

I tried leaning over into a small tuck and that did seem to help a lot, but not 100% . Again, I am going to try some runs without the screen, and hope that it a simple cause and effect.

Being that the screen basically attaches to the triple tree and forks, I can see how wind pressure could easily cause this, on a front end that is already very light and touchy.

Thoughts?
I have this exact screen coming in in a day or two, so I'll report back, for sure.

Damnit, this doesn't excite me. :|

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

Thoughts?
What people don't realize is that all big brand NAKED bikes built since 1972 are designed so that they are aerodynamically stable at high speeds. They shape the gauges....lights..etc and test in a wind tunnel to make sure. {yes I'm talking about naked bikes} So when you add a screen.....sometimes that upsets the design that they built in and the bike shakes and wobbles the bars because the wind isn't smooth around the front like you think it should be. I had this happen on several naked bikes over the years.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Wind buffeting is no joke! I had a friend with a naked bike, threw on a huge windscreen and had the same problem. I rode his bike and was amazed at how unstable the bike became at highway speeds. A small one will decrease the wind and not affect the bikes stability. Adding vents will most likely result in a whistling noise, but may lessen the wobble a little. I have the Yamaha screen, but when I'm at highway speeds 70+mph I just go into a full tuck.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I am running the Ermax 25mm fly screen.

It makes the front of the bike look cool but does not provide much in the way of wind protection. All I notice is a little less wind from the belly button to about the arm pits.

The good news is there is not even a hint of high speed wobble. And low flying bugs are terrified of it!!!!

IMG_3046.jpg IMG_2999.jpg IMG_2998.jpg IMG_2997.jpg

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am running the Ermax 25mm fly screen.

It makes the front of the bike look cool but does not provide much in the way of wind protection. All I notice is a little less wind from the belly button to about the arm pits.

The good news is there is not even a hint of high speed wobble. And low flying bugs are terrified of it!!!!
I don't think there is a screen that can 1) look cool, 2) block wind blast up to the bottom of your helmet or more, and 3) has no high speed wobble. If someone has one, let me know. Otherwise I will have to go with a small screen like the Ermax 25 or Yam fly screen. It's a naked bike after all...

The Fabbri touring screen covers points 1 & 2. Today I went without it and noticed no wobble on several 80+ sprints.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I don't think there is a screen that can 1) look cool, 2) block wind blast up to the bottom of your helmet or more, and 3) has no high speed wobble. If someone has one, let me know. Otherwise I will have to go with a small screen like the Ermax 25 or Yam fly screen. It's a naked bike after all...

The Fabbri touring screen covers points 1 & 2. Today I went without it and noticed no wobble on several 80+ sprints.
Agreed. I haven't noticed much difference with the yammi screen, but I think it looks good and that's mostly why I got it. If i wanted wind protection I would have bought the ninja 1000 :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
IMG_2527.jpg

Agreed. I haven't noticed much difference with the yammi screen, but I think it looks good and that's mostly why I got it. If i wanted wind protection I would have bought the ninja 1000 :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
I sold my 2011 Ninja 1000 to get the FZ09. Yes the wind protection was much better than the FZ... but it was 100 pounds heavier, brake were not nearly as good, was not as torquey, was slower from 10 to 70 mph, and the fairing was a mess to remove to work on the bike. The stock suspension was better on the Ninja but the FZ is way more fun to ride.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I went with the same Ermax as Hawkerjet. I've only ridden with it once, up to ~70, and I like it. Moves the wind push up to the neck line sitting up, and it'll keep some of the bugs off the back of the gauge cluster, and me. Helps a bit with rain, too

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Hit the speed limiter on mine a couple times last night and there isn't a hint of wobble with the Ermax from 70-131 MPH.

Reactions: phm14

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi All;
I have a Parabellum 20 inch (low) touring screen, should be here Tuesday and will give a report on how this performs at high speed. Hope it works out. I like to hit it on occasion. If not they have fly screen just came out with in the last couple days. My screen was 159.00 and the fly screen is 99.00
Cu later :D

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I have never ridden my bike without the Fabbri Touring screen, but I can say that I have noticed an unnerving wobble at high speeds. Not legal highway speeds though, higher speeds, like 150km/h+. I will remove the screen and see how it behaves. I'm disappointed to hear that my screen might be causing problems, but I'm also happy to hear to the wobble may in fact be caused by it and not just the nature of the beast!

If my bike is stable without the screen I may experiment with cutting it down 1cm at a time. Annoying, but a solution must be found.

·
Registered
197 Posts

I bought and installed the Madstad shield. I'm finally happy. It can be adjusted up down and tilted back or forward. No wobble whatsoever. The highest speed I reached on the hwy was 95 mph in high winds last Saturday. I have the mid-sized one. I think its 17" No problems passing 18 wheelers and the like. The mounting system is solid. I got it at the recommendation of a post on a different thread.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have the MRA Touring and have not noticed any wobble. I've had it to 110 mph over a short distance. Twisted Throttle sent me an email saying they plan to send a new support to prevent shield movement that others have complained about. It doesn't protect me as well as the Vetter fairing I had back in 1976 but I'm plenty happy with it.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
The 25cm one mentioned previously in this thread? Is the Ermax 25cm slightly larger than the Yamaha one?
I don't know how it compares in size to the Yamaha one but yes, the 25cm one.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update:
I added a stack of 3 or 4 1/4" washers to the front mounting bolts (spacers) in order to lift up the screen higher and get more air flowing under it. Seems to have improved or resolved the issue. Only tested up to 90's today.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Update:
I added a stack of 3 or 4 1/4" washers to the front mounting bolts (spacers) in order to lift up the screen higher and get more air flowing under it. Seems to have improved or resolved the issue. Only tested up to 90's today.
Good to hear, thanks. Today I got up to 180+ a few times and didn't notice the wobble like I did last weekend. Last weekend when I noticed it there were some ridiculous gusty winds so maybe it was mainly caused by that.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Have an mra touring windscreen on mine. Have been to 110 on mine (heh, there was no one else around) and no no wobble noticed. But there are a lot of things that can cause high speed wobble (tire wear, unbalanced tires, poor tire alignment, worn headset bearings, quartering wind, nervous rider, etc.) so I would not blame the windscreen right away...try it again!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts