Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Banned
231 Posts
your dealer will just adjust it to that retarded spec which wont fix anything

you need to go out buy a 27 mm wrench and do it yourself

also proper chain lube is something you would be surprised at how many people neglect proper chain maintenance

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I just got back from the dealer. They did tell me it was in spec but would adjust it if it made me more comfortable. So I had them loosen it a little and now it definitely has more slack. Can still hear the chain running but I'm going to clean and lube it up as soon as the spools and my rear stand get in this week. Probably gonna not ride it until then.

I'm also going to learn how to adjust the chain/wheel alignment myself so I can do it in the future.

PS - This forum and you guys freaking rock!

·
Banned
231 Posts
if dirt is caked up on it
but his chain probably has 100 miles, just throw motul on it also buy a motion pro chain aligner

·
Registered
288 Posts
Take it for a ride to warm the chain before you lube it and then wipe off the excess. And where it's a new bike it shouldn't be too dirty, but at the same time it's good to get in the habit of cleaning before you lube it.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Thanks for the great feedback everyone. I don't feel comfortable adjusting it myself because I'm the least mechanically inclined person I know. I'm taking to the dealer today to have them look at it and adjust the chain. Will have to learn to do this in the future.

Hopefully I don't have an issue with the cam chain tensioner. Would hate to have that on a brand new bike. I will listen for that "tick" though. The bike makes a good amount of engine noise that it's tough to tell what's supposed to be there and what isn't.
YouTube is your friend. I like Maxima Chain Wax. Spray it on, especially the rollers, let it sit a little while, then wipe the side plates. It doesn't sling off like petroleum products

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Thanks for the great feedback everyone. I don't feel comfortable adjusting it myself because I'm the least mechanically inclined person I know. I'm taking to the dealer today to have them look at it and adjust the chain.
Most Yamaha dealers will adjust the chain to Yamaha's spec's and that's too tight. Maybe you should try to get together with one of the other south Florida forum members who will show you how to do it (it's not hard).
What I said about Yamaha dealers does not apply to all of them. Where I bought mine, the tech who set up the bike apparently knew that spec was too tight and just set it like he does to other models, because mine was not that tight. You really should try to learn how to do your own maintenance.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
"dont bother cleaning it"--------WTF?

Treat your chain the same way you would treat your wanker!
I suspect some people damage their O-rings with aggressive cleaning (you wouldn't use a stiff brush on your wanker). If you use a non sticky lube such as Bel-Ray, it wont attract much crud to begin with. Be gentle with any cleaning.

·
Banned
231 Posts
non sticky lubes fling off

its a trade off but no it isnt, id rather have lube on my chain then lube on my tires and not on my chain

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
Do NOT run 40mm slack. There is a lot of info about chain adjustment on here. After testing I found that 18 to 20mm sitting on a rear pit stand gives you 5mm slack when the chain is at it's tightest point.

·
Banned
231 Posts
just measured mine - 45 mm

run anywhere from 35-45 is safe
anything less and well its your bike that's suffering, not mine, do what ya want

im not going to explain myself, with how much suspension travel the stock suspension has, 40 mm is very safe

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
dont bother cleaning it
just apply motul c2 chain spray to the rollers and orings
Im not quite sure why you haven't been banned yet..Its very obvious that you are nothing more than a troll with absolutely zero value to this forum.

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
Hey guys, a wanker is the person the hand is attached to. A wankee, or penis, is what he plays with. Let's stay with Queens english, shall we?

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
There are none so stupid as those that will not listen. I see a nicely ground swing arm in someones future, or a chain jumping the front sprocket.

PS. See post 58.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts
About this Discussion
73 Replies
20 Participants
surfmtn
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
We’re the largest Yamaha forum for owners and enthusiasts of the FZ-09 and MT-09. The site has thousands of topics covering performance and reliability, photos, videos and more!
Full Forum Listing