Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody and Happy Holidays,

On a few occasions when braking kinda hard with my rear brake, I hear/feel a "scraping" sound. I incorrectly thought maybe it was a peg or something undewrnearth the bike, but I've checked every time and everything looks fine. I've heard/read about the abs being less than perfect on the XSR, but honestly I've never had an issue with the brakes in emergency braking situations, they've saved my life frankly once before. The sound I'm describing has only happened (occasionally) coming to a hard stop at a yellow/red light and hitting the brakes abruptly while following another rider and coming to a hard stop for example. And it's rare, 3, maybe 4 times since 2017 but it's there. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Antonio in California

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
1,646 Posts
I would go play around with the rear brake a little bit in a parking lot or empty road. Stomp on the brake and get the ABS to engage. I've done that on occasion, and I do notice the rear brake pulsing, and sounding quite noticeable. That may be what you're hearing. So see if you can replicate the noise, and you'll know for sure...

·
Registered
855 Posts
It is possible you have worn the rear brake pads down, if you mostly use the rear to slow down and stop your bike. It is easy to inspect the disc and measure the pad wear. If you have worn you rear pads out before the front pads your breaking technique is at fault. As most, if not all effective breaking on a modern motorcycle comes from the front brake system, notice two discs on front one one in the back. You might have some contamination on the rear disc, oil, grease, duck butter....then some brake system cleaner would be ok.

Good luck and be sure to tell us how you fix your problem.

Happy New Year!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've heard/read about the abs being less than perfect on the XSR, but honestly I've never had an issue with the brakes in emergency braking situations, they've saved my life frankly once before.
You would definitely know if the ABS is activating under heavy braking as the brake pedal will feel like it is pulsing on the bottom of your boot.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You would definitely know if the ABS is activating under heavy braking as the brake pedal will feel like it is pulsing on the bottom of your boot.
Oh, yeah, I know pulsing. it's not a pulsing sensation, its feels like scraping, very weird. I've activated the abs in a high speed situation, delivery truck pulled out onto highway in front of me. The highway crests in a blind spot, goes from 65-45 posted, with slow traffic merging from the left. Of course I wasn't going 65, more like 85, and if it wasn't for the abs I was going to become a mural on the side of the truck. The bike and abs worked to perfection. Promise you, I'll never forget what abs pulsing feels like:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would go play around with the rear brake a little bit in a parking lot or empty road. Stomp on the brake and get the ABS to engage. I've done that on occasion, and I do notice the rear brake pulsing, and sounding quite noticeable. That may be what you're hearing. So see if you can replicate the noise, and you'll know for sure...
Good idea, thank you. I've been waIting for my local MSF to post some classes in the spring. To your point, I'm sure with that kind of parking lot course structure I'll be able to replicate the issue. (y)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I assumed you had checked your pads, but as alnbama says, that's something to consider...
I did, but you never know, maybe the pads aren't very good or I'm missing something obvious. I was thinking by process of elimination, I'll have the pads and rotors replaced before I assume it's the abs. The volume of information here and generally on the internet on the XSR/MT/FV 900/09 bikes is quite large and NOBODY it seems has the issue exactly as I've described. And that's a good thing. Should be correctable as apposed to an inherit problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is possible you have worn the rear brake pads down, if you mostly use the rear to slow down and stop your bike. It is easy to inspect the disc and measure the pad wear. If you have worn you rear pads out before the front pads your breaking technique is at fault. As most, if not all effective breaking on a modern motorcycle comes from the front brake system, notice two discs on front one one in the back. You might have some contamination on the rear disc, oil, grease, duck butter....then some brake system cleaner would be ok.

Good luck and be sure to tell us how you fix your problem.

Happy New Year!
I measured and all looks well. I don't think I do, but it wouldn't surprise me if I used the rear more, especially when I 1st bought the bike. It's will be 3 years in May. I'm a better rider now, but I'm positive I have some techniques that need correcting.

I will definitely post any updates. I'm always disappointed when a solution/resolution/update isn't posted. It can be so helpful.

Thank you and Happy New Year to you too!

·
Registered
9 Posts
As mentioned above you should not rely on your rear brake to stop (or slow) the bike. The rear wheel will lock or have ABS activate very easily. The front brake is where all your stopping power is. On a modern bike you should be able to flip the bike on it's nose with just one finger on the front (aside from ABS). Learn to rely on the front. Especially in an emergency stop the rear will get you killed. Honestly, practice using the front very hard until you no longer fear it's use.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there,
I have exactly the same thing. It happens only every now and then and since I bought the bike, new. A mate told me it's the ABS but I'm not so sure.
Never looked into it any further but please post if you found what's causing this scratching sound. Nico- Brisbane/ Australia

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
1,646 Posts
I'm starting to wonder if what you guys are hearing is just the sound of the rear tire starting to skid? The ABS won't let it lock long enough to hear any kind of "squeal", but it does come close enough to lockup that if you are on, say, some rough, gravelly pavement, it could be skidding through the looser stuff and dragging bits of gravel along. Maybe take note of what kind of surface you're on whenever you hear that sound and see if there's a common factor?

If I get a chance, maybe I'll play around on mine and see if I hear anything..

·
Registered
158 Posts

On a few occasions when braking kinda hard with my rear brake, I hear/feel a "scraping" sound. I incorrectly thought maybe it was a peg or something undewrnearth the bike, but I've checked every time and everything looks fine. I've heard/read about the abs being less than perfect on the XSR, but honestly I've never had an issue with the brakes in emergency braking situations, they've saved my life frankly once before. The sound I'm describing has only happened (occasionally) coming to a hard stop at a yellow/red light and hitting the brakes abruptly while following another rider and coming to a hard stop for example. And it's rare, 3, maybe 4 times since 2017 but it's there. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Antonio in California
I wonder if you are hearing the normal function of the abs engagement. Most individuals never get into an abs stop so when they do it kind of freaks them out. I work in a big three dealership and have diagnosed this with customers on several occasions.

·
Registered
31 Posts

Thanks,

Antonio in California
Antonio,

I have a 2019 MT09 and mine does the same thing. It feels like the rear brake lever travel has increased to the point that it feels and sounds like it is scrapping on the ground. I don’t feel any pulsing. I have also never felt the front brake pulse either. Perhaps I am not braking hard enough.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The rear ABS on the MT09 feels like your foot has gone through the brake pedal and is dragging the ground.
OMG THIS IS IT RIGHT HERE, THANK YOU!! I’ve had such a hard time finding the right words to describing what it felt like..“my foot going though the brake pedal” and having that dragging/scraping feeling is exactly what I feel with the pedal, so much so when it happens I’m convinced I’ve dragged a pedal or peg but it seems impossible because I’m not leaning anywhere near enough if I’m evening leaning at all.

Has there been or is there a way to remedy? Thank you so much ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Antonio,

I have a 2019 MT09 and mine does the same thing. It feels like the rear brake lever travel has increased to the point that it feels and sounds like it is scrapping on the ground. I don’t feel any pulsing. I have also never felt the front brake pulse either. Perhaps I am not braking hard enough.
Yes this is it exactly my friend.. any remedies you know of?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wonder if you are hearing the normal function of the abs engagement. Most individuals never get into an abs stop so when they do it kind of freaks them out. I work in a big three dealership and have diagnosed this with customers on several occasions.
Could be... the brake lever feels like it’s dragging but it is not, very strange

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As mentioned above you should not rely on your rear brake to stop (or slow) the bike. The rear wheel will lock or have ABS activate very easily. The front brake is where all your stopping power is. On a modern bike you should be able to flip the bike on it's nose with just one finger on the front (aside from ABS). Learn to rely on the front. Especially in an emergency stop the rear will get you killed. Honestly, practice using the front very hard until you no longer fear it's use.
I appreciate your point of view, and it could totally be my technique, no question. It’s not my only motorcycle though. This doesn’t happen at all on my Superduke. Heck, it hardly happens on my XSR, aside from 3 times over a 3 year period.

To your point though, my 1290’s brakes have a feature where pulling the front brake also engages the rear brake slightly. Maybe this small technical advantage from my KTM is masking bad brake technique.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts