Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great in third world countries, but in the US they seem out of place.

Am I missing something....???

Reactions: Fairbanksdmt

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
In Hawaii, they're treated and tagged as bicycles and expected to follow the same laws and road rules that pertain to bicycles. No insurance or safety check required. With gas at $4.20/gal average they're extremely popular with college students and there's a huge rental market catering to tourists-as I assume there is in Florida as well.

On Oahu, they're also modded out by the teen crowd-some of whom spend upwards of 3-4 grand on go fast parts. This is not the Honda Grom we're talking about-for the most part people are buying and tricking out Korean and Chinese made junk. I know, I don't get it either...

·
Registered
511 Posts
Never. My friends would hound me til the end of days. Being able to put two full face helmets in a lockable compartment is pretty damned convenient, though. And the new Beemer has heated grips and seat.......but I'd rather not.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
They're only good for urban environments IMO. I see a lot downtown SF...

I'd rather ride a Grom than a Vespa though if that was my only option.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Scooters are for when you lose your license ..or for broke college kids. But racing scooters separate the men from the boys real quick. Most fun I ever had on two wheels was racing hot rodded Zuma's up in the Mountains. I had one clocked at 68mph downhill on GPS.....and we are talking about ZUMA 50cc two stroke scooters.

I like scooters and collect the rare ones. Right now I own two Malaguti Phantom 50 Foggy replicas. Both are stock and I don't ride either one. The rarest one is in my livingroom.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like scooters and collect the rare ones. Right now I own two Malaguti Phantom 50 Foggy replicas. Both are stock and I don't ride either one. The rarest one is in my livingroom.
Text Font Poster Photo caption Vehicle

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
They are a big hit with the New York crowd. They are bigger than the groms and more "hipster chic" along with being more practical. They grew in popularity when oil prices short up around 2008/09 (?)...springing up many scooter clubs around here. Some of them actually look good and with their incredible gas mileage, luggage options and smaller footprint, they make perfect sense in this city.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Scooters are absolutely brilliant. 60+mpg, street legal 2t. Scooters are alot of fun to collect and modify. Everyone who talks that smack about scoots obviously never owned one. If I were to allow you ride my Jog and i didnt give you any warnings it will throw you clean off to the tarmac, everyone asks me why you got scoots birdman, i say, here go ride it 10 mins later they come back grinning ear to ear everytime, my harley friends and my R1 neighbor especially. Besides real men dont care what other closed minded twits have to say about anything, period. Some people dont need to ride the most socially respected bike to feel manly, because true manliness is a mindstate not a make n model G.

·
Registered
166 Posts

Get some! 250 Ninjas are getting slept left and right. #RepsolGromKiller

Reactions: CD599

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Steve...can you do this? Or do you need a vagina to do it?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
My first motorbike was a 49cc scooter, when I was 15. I think i earned my scooter stripes on that one. Have a Grom now, so don't have to go that route ever again. And my son will never have to go that route, as he will have the Grom when the time comes.

Reactions: Steve101

·
Banned
739 Posts
I came close to hitting one in my car a few weeks ago because he pulled out in front of me. The moron needs to realize that thing doesn't have the acceleration to quickly pull out in traffic.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Borrowed from my post on another forum... a maxi-scooter forum!

Are you really a complete stunt rider unless you can perform on a scooter? If it has two wheels, Bill Dixon has all he needs...

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Scooters are absolutely brilliant. 60+mpg, street legal 2t. Scooters are alot of fun to collect and modify. Everyone who talks that smack about scoots obviously never owned one. If I were to allow you ride my Jog and i didnt give you any warnings it will throw you clean off to the tarmac, everyone asks me why you got scoots birdman, i say, here go ride it 10 mins later they come back grinning ear to ear everytime, my harley friends and my R1 neighbor especially. Besides real men dont care what other closed minded twits have to say about anything, period. Some people dont need to ride the most socially respected bike to feel manly, because true manliness is a mindstate not a make n model G.
Plus it's always fun to make them eat your dust, I get that all the time when I ride my DR650. Some punk in his Acura or Harley dweeb who looks down their nose at you, while sitting at the lights. Only to have them sit there with their mouth wide open in shock as you smoke them off the line. Had the same fun when I had my Can-Am Spider RS SM5. Not many people know BRP has a back ground in Superbike engines. The Spyder RS got it's engine from the Aprilia RSV1000R, just tuned different for the three wheeled beast. Aprilia Tuono - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for a Honda Grom??? I'd save up a little more money and go with at least a 250cc bike like a Suzuki GW250.

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product Lines/Cycles/Products/GW250/2015/GW250.aspx
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Red

And yes it has a lot to do with the fact that I hate Honda and their stupid PowerCenter marketing "mistake". They ruined their name in the motorcycles market here with that brilliant idea. You don't see a lot of Honda any more because of it.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Steve...can you do this? Or do you need a vagina to do it?
+ 1000

I don't have a scooter or a Virginia, so I honestly don't know.:)

Reactions: Obijack

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I just can't do it. Call me small, or shallow, or what have you. But there is no way I would ride a scooter around. Maybe if i was dead broke, couldn't afford a car, gas, or insurance. Then maybe, but it would still be grudgingly.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts