Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

Reading tire wear marks isn't something I have any experience with but would be interested to learn and see how other's tires are doing at this point.

Mine came with the dunlops and I don't hate them as I haven't been too aggressive as I'm getting to know this beast. I'm noticing the rear is wearing differently than the front. The front seems pretty even but the rear is wearing the front edge of the tread more than the rear. I've got the shock preload on the second spot from full preload and the rebound screw about one quarter turn from all the way in.

No wise cracks about the chicken strips! ;)

Thanks

Daniel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Riding in Florida make it very simple. Once the flat spot reach about 1/3 of the total width of the tire... it's time to change! LOL

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I'm not very knowledgeable about tire wear as it related to suspension settings ect. but here is a bit of info that I have written down that came from a suspension guru........can't remember who/where/etc.

If the leading edge of the tire groove is raised, or higher than the trailing edge of the same groove, increase rebound in 3 click intervals.

Conversely, If the trailing edge of the tire groove is raised or higher than the leading edge of the same groove, decrease rebound settings.

On bike that don't have "click" adjustments, like ours, I generally will do 1/4 turn at a time. And BTW, tire wear like that is almost impossible to dial out unless you have a shock/fork with a lot of adjustment range and you don't let the tire get too far along to save it.

·
Banned
161 Posts
If the back edge is higher, turn your rebound out some. vice versa.

Reactions: jmcghee41

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Tire cupping and tire wear are two different things. The pic only shows a little wear on the front side from accelerating out of corners. {like we are supposed to do} If that wear is excessive compared to mileage on the tire....then it's all about air pressure. So we need to know what pressure you are running in the rear and what do you weigh?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
You must be on the east side, mostly fish guts, sand, and water over there.

Some of the hills, and turns, are over on this side.
There isn't a hill higher than my mailbox in all of Florida. We're talking about real hills....like 2 and 3 THOUSAND feet high.

·
Registered
64 Posts
There isn't a hill higher than my mailbox in all of Florida. We're talking about real hills....like 2 and 3 THOUSAND feet high.
Well, actually the highest point in FL is about 360 feet, which still doesn't compare to 2-3,000. Some places have rolling hills of 100 feet or more and add a little elevation to the mix. Also, some areas have some twisty roads that wind around lakes or go to out islands on the coast. But yeah, most of us Floridians would rather be riding in the mountains!

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts