Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one had either one of these how do you like them comments appreciated thanks.Doug

·
Registered
233 Posts
From what I have read and researched is the Smh 10 is tried and tested... Works extremely well and lives through weather. I know there is a guy on this forum that just got a 20s and the first time he got rained on it went haywire.... I have never seen a bad review of the smh 10. Take it for its worth.... I don't have any but I am researching like you.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I've got the SMH10. Love it! Probably my favorite piece of gear, weather resistant, solid battery life and best of all let's me blast Motley Crue in the helmet.

Had it for 6 months now, still going strong.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I am the guy with the problematic 20S, and I have a four year old pair of SMH10's that I love. They work like a champ and have been through torrential downpours, snow, slush, and hail without a hickup. My 20S didn't make it through the first rainstorm without a major problem.

I have two close riding buddies that have the Scala riders. These guys are electronically challenged, but we found out that when I paired my Sena with one of the Scalas as a Universal Bluetooth profile, the moment that I connected to the Scala, the music on the Scala was disconnected and had to be connected manually after each conversation. The documentation for the Scala sucked so bad that I lost interest in fixing his issue. I no longer communicate with the guys unless they connect to me through my mobile phone.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i have a smh10r - same as the smh10 but lower profile and the battery is a separate unit. Love it. It takes a bit to get used to the controls but once you get them pairing is easy. You can turn on and off music and using Siri on my iphone hands free is great (at traffic lights etc.).

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm interested in the preset fm radio and voice active part of them does the voice work well?

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I turn off voice activation on the communicator and use the buttons, and I also replace the S Voice of my Samsung Galaxy with Google Talk, which works much better.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
no FM on mine so can't speak to that but voice operation with Siri works great. Hold the middle button down for a few seconds until you hear a distinct beep, then siri will ask what you want and you go from there.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I don't even bother with FM on my Sena. They don't play anything that I don't already have loaded on my iPod. I do listen to the XM app through my phone because they have so much more to offer.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Has any one had either one of these how do you like them comments appreciated thanks.Doug
Well I can see the Sena crowd represented well here. I've had the Cardo Q4 for approximately 7 years and wouldn't part with them. I purchased these for my wife and myself, they still have battery life between 8 -14 hours (8 for my wife and 14 for me - guess who never stops talking :). I've had these through a ton of rain and they never failed. I use the Bluetooth function for my cell phone and people are always amazed when I tell them I on my bike zipping down the freeway.

I dread the buying process when these finally die out. Everything I've read says the Sena is a great product, and I like the way it integrates with the Bell helmet.

Reactions: rtsb

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've got a Scala Rider but it's the G9X. Their is a app for my phone so I can control everything thru the app. connect up to 8 units at once. 4 in Intercom conference. Control Intercom volume, Bluetooth volume, radio volume can all be adjusted separately. 6 station radio preset for local and it will pick up the 6 strongest signals in the area when traveling. Aux input. Simple to use you can use voice activation or control everything with the buttons on the side. You can also set what takes priority over what intercom won't override phone calls. GPS talks over intercom.

When I was looking into what to buy I read all good things about the G9X. Somewhere it was called the juggernaut of all of them. Heavy rainstorms and always covered in bug guts the only issue I ever have is the voice activation at 80+ miles an hour. Talking on the phone nobody can tell I'm running 80+ down the interstate.

Would I buy it again yes.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have the SMH 10R as well and definitely won't ride without it now. Have only a little experience with the intercom functions but the music/phone functionality is phenomenal.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Bought a dual pack of 20s, one for me and one for my brother. I love mine, but his would freeze about every 20 minutes. Contacted Sena and they told me to send it in. Getting the replacement unit in the mail today, hopefully this will not be an issue again. I don't use it to its fullest potential, but for simple things only 2 way intercom, music, and answering phone calls while riding. Nothing bad to say about my 20s, Just can't believe I did not get one earlier.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I too have a Sena 20s and I had to send it back for the freezing issue. They are quick to respond and very good and keeping their customers happy. I love the Sena.... blows the others away.

·
Registered
654 Posts
With sena being able to connect to everyone and no one else able to do so why would you even consider another brand? I have a chatterbox xbi2 and can't wait to upgrade to the sena 10

Reactions: 520FZ09

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Sorry at work and didnt have a minute to give a proper review. So... when I first got the 20s I hated it. Thought the sound quality was awful and then it started to freeze. Sena handled replacements very well and they have top notch customer service. Speaker placement is absolutely key and once they are good, the sound is impressive but just lacks a little bass. The early 20s releases did not come with small foam speaker covers and now they do which also drastically improves clarity. The thing I love most is the ambient mode... two clicks on the bottom button and exterior sound is amplified. Great for talking at a light or walking into a store when you dont want to remove your helmet. Two clicks again and it goes back to normal mode and audio remains playing. I only use the bluetooth and FM and it works flawlessly. Any questions, just ask me!

Reactions: DNFDOUG

·
Registered
88 Posts
With sena being able to connect to everyone and no one else able to do so why would you even consider another brand? I have a chatterbox xbi2 and can't wait to upgrade to the sena 10
I am interested in the Sena setup with the new Bell helmet, but I wondered if it would sink with my Cardo Q4. You mentioned that the Sena would sink with any units - have you tried it?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have the Sena SMH10r on my HJC RPHA-10.

It is absolutely amazing. it is low profile on the side of the helmet, with the battery at the back of the helmet. I don't use the included flat speakers, instead I bought the adapter from Sena that allows you to use any 3.5mm headphone/earbuds. I hid all the cables under my helmet liner and the 3.5mm jack is at the back and easy to use.

The Sena Earbud Adapter

Earbuds

I hid the 3.5mm jack at the back of the helmet so if I decide to ride a short trip without the earbuds I can just throw the helmet on without it being an issue. The earbuds allow me to have passive ear protection (really do reduce wind noise) and also get much better sound quality!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I have the Sena SMH10r on my HJC RPHA-10.

It is absolutely amazing. it is low profile on the side of the helmet, with the battery at the back of the helmet. I don't use the included flat speakers, instead I bought the adapter from Sena that allows you to use any 3.5mm headphone/earbuds. I hid all the cables under my helmet liner and the 3.5mm jack is at the back and easy to use.

The Sena Earbud Adapter

Earbuds

I hid the 3.5mm jack at the back of the helmet so if I decide to ride a short trip without the earbuds I can just throw the helmet on without it being an issue. The earbuds allow me to have passive ear protection (really do reduce wind noise) and also get much better sound quality!
one thing to note... on the 20s, there is no need for the 3.5mm adapter as there is already a spot on the unit to plug in headphones. another awesome feature of the 20s

Reactions: rtsb
1 - 20 of 20 Posts