Sweet! :)

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Nice job Nick. That was awesome.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Nick's a local celebrity now :) - i bought a Motorcyclists magazine in the airport and Ari's long term FZ09 update was in the back - Nick/Penske shock was a good portion of the article - couldn't say enough positive things about the shock and his experience with Nick.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I just picked up my FZ-09 on the weekend, and have been doing all kinds of Google searches for accessories and upgrades. Then I came across the Pure Performance Cycles web site and see they have suspension upgrades already available. So I am sure by next spring there will be other suspensions upgrades available.
Yamaha Motorcycle Performance Parts & Accessories | Super Tenere | YZFR1 | FZ8

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Nick's a local celebrity now :) - i bought a Motorcyclists magazine in the airport and Ari's long term FZ09 update was in the back - Nick/Penske shock was a good portion of the article - couldn't say enough positive things about the shock and his experience with Nick.
Yup. A Great Read. And now Nick is closing up shop...??? We sure hope his circumstances change over time and he returns. The consensus seems to be...It's not if he returns, it's when; We hope sooner rather than later....:)

·
Registered
957 Posts
I think it's great to see that Nick is being recognized for the work he's done to help get the aftermarket going with quality performance parts for our bike, and regardless of what the future holds for Stoltec Moto as a company, I hope that recognition remains.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Nick deftly handled one of the author's comments very nicely. Actually, he handled many of them, but one particularly registered with me. Early in the article, the author described the FZ-09 as "basically unrideable" in stock form, primarily citing the suspension. A few members of the forum have used "unrideable" as well, and from its context, less experienced riders (count me among them!) may at some point make sense of the intent. Perhaps it has a standard meaning among motorcycle racers and other performance-oriented riders, but unfortunately lacks the type of hyperbole found elsewhere (i.e. "pushing like a dump truck" in auto racing) that intuitively signals more than a little exaggeration.

Vern articulately covered the stock suspension's characteristics very early in the forum's existence, and recalling those posts helps from time to time when another writer denigrates the stock suspension. Others, their names not recalled as I type, have done the same, and I learned from all you. However, the first time I read someone using the term "unrideable" to describe the FZ-09 my first thought was, "is this an equipment problem or a skill problem?" Unless completely missing the point, I have a better understanding thanks to Nick, Vern and so many others.

Maybe I'm riding "slowly and smoothly on well-maintained roads" more than others, but I consider the term "unrideable" a disservice to those considering the FZ-09. As my comfort level on the FZ-09 rises and riding slowly occurs less often, I am gaining a better understanding of Nick's "things unwind quickly" corollary.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Nick deftly handled one of the author's comments very nicely. Actually, he handled many of them, but one particularly registered with me. Early in the article, the author described the FZ-09 as "basically unrideable" in stock form, primarily citing the suspension. A few members of the forum have used "unrideable" as well, and from its context, less experienced riders (count me among them!) may at some point make sense of the intent. Perhaps it has a standard meaning among motorcycle racers and other performance-oriented riders, but unfortunately lacks the type of hyperbole found elsewhere (i.e. "pushing like a dump truck" in auto racing) that intuitively signals more than a little exaggeration.

Vern articulately covered the stock suspension's characteristics very early in the forum's existence, and recalling those posts helps from time to time when another writer denigrates the stock suspension. Others, their names not recalled as I type, have done the same, and I learned from all you. However, the first time I read someone using the term "unrideable" to describe the FZ-09 my first thought was, "is this an equipment problem or a skill problem?" Unless completely missing the point, I have a better understanding thanks to Nick, Vern and so many others.

Maybe I'm riding "slowly and smoothly on well-maintained roads" more than others, but I consider the term "unrideable" a disservice to those considering the FZ-09. As my comfort level on the FZ-09 rises and riding slowly occurs less often, I am gaining a better understanding of Nick's "things unwind quickly" corollary.
I agree here. Before I test rode the bike, suspension was the top of the list for mods if I decided to buy. Afterwards, and now 5 months later, it is the last thing I will tackle. Even at my hefty 260lbs, I have few issues with the adjusted stock suspension. It is most likely due to living in Houston where curves and roads are rarely used in the same sentence. I figure by this time next year I will be working on the suspension which is much longer than I thought after initially considering buying an 09. So the idea of the 09 being unrideable with the stock suspension doesn't fly in my book and would merely be a footnote when conversing with someone considering buying one.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I don't think I'd quite call it unrideable, but It for damn sure is the weak spot on this bike. I'm getting my front and rear done, just called my local shop this morning. I've been riding since the eighties, and I've never had a bike that gets this unsettled, this quickly before. this bike and a N00b would be a really bad idea, IMO.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Yup. A Great Read. And now Nick is closing up shop...??? We sure hope his circumstances change over time and he returns. The consensus seems to be...It's not if he returns, it's when; We hope sooner rather than later....:)
i'm familiar with his commute to work (i live along the way) and the demands of his place of employment. I'm not speaking for him in anyway but i can't begin to imagine what it must have been like to manage the ever growing business of stoltec moto and still have a 50hr a week day job with a ridiculously long commute. It only takes perusing a few threads on this website to see how demanding some motorcyclists are about what they want/demand from the products they buy and the companies that provide those products to them. Managing both of those at once has got to be close to impossible (then you layer on having a life outside of those 2 things and it becomes even more ridiculous to think about).

With that being said - he did it for a good period of time and got some national notoriety - I'd say that's pretty damn impressive.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
i'm familiar with his commute to work (i live along the way) and the demands of his place of employment. I'm not speaking for him in anyway but i can't begin to imagine what it must have been like to manage the ever growing business of stoltec moto and still have a 50hr a week day job with a ridiculously long commute. It only takes perusing a few threads on this website to see how demanding some motorcyclists are about what they want and the companies that provide those products to them. Managing both of those at once has got to be close to impossible (then you layer on having a life outside of those 2 things and it becomes even more ridiculous to think about).

With that being said - he did it for a good period of time and got some national notoriety - I'd say that's pretty damn impressive.
Agreed 10,000%. Well said. :eagerness:

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Redeye.......Thank you for the kind words. This forum is loaded with folks that know far more than I about suspension and tuning it, ECU flashing and fueling issues, and so on. Just to be able to figure some of that stuff out, kind of boggles my mind at times. Many of the members here try to help out however they can, and some have expertise in areas that others don't. Together, we have a pretty well rounded group with lots of knowledge about lots of different things.....some of them are even motorcycle related. :cool: I definitely don't place myself in the same group as guys like Nick, Marty, Bobby Walnuts, and others, but I will offer up advice/experience when I can, which is all any of us can do. All I'm going to say now is.....enjoy this place. It's fun, enlightening, and somewhat unique...and I'm proud to be a small part of this group.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hey guys,

I appreciate the detailed and well thought out criticisms. I was having this convo earlier with some of the guys on our team here who I thought I may have been throwing the term a round a little too easily. I'm not sure if it is just the first batch of bikes that was released or if I've just ridden a couple bad ones from the bunch, but I've had two different FZ bikes between the press launch and this longer term loaner and I can tell you that I often feel unsafe piloting it. One of the guys on staff here recently bought one and his seems to be much more sorted from stock, but I can tell you that when I ride our press one, I ride it like I'm trying not to crash. More bluntly, I choose more boring and less cool bikes on almost a daily basis so I don't have to deal with the thing - I even took a girl out on a first date on a V-Strom two weeks ago because I didn't wanna deal with the squirrely fueling and sketchy suspension. Thankfully she had a sense of humor about being on one of the lamest looking bikes possible.

Obviously, this brings the question of whether I just suck at motorcycles or not and I can tell you I certainly feel qualified to say this, but you are free to make up your own judgements about it. Between the brake dive, the bike wanting to spring me from it upon hard acceleration, and how unsorted it gets given the smallest of rider inputs in a turn, I stand behind the statement that it's borderline unrideable. My intent however isn't to dissuade people from riding the bike, just to let people know that if it's sketching them out - they're in good company. If you read our first post on it, I think the FZ (with even the more basic of Nick's upgrades) is the best bike/deal in motorcycling right now.

Again, I appreciate the feedback a ton and I'm stoked to hear some of you disagree with me. I would love to find out they attempted to address it in some way and new units were behaving a little better.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Good on ya, Nick. Good to go out on a high note.

I'm one of the ones that stated that it was unrideable in stock form, and I meant it. At the level with which I ride, it was down right dangerous. I was the very first person to buy the Penske from Nick. In fact, I ended up with his test unit as well as stiffer fork springs. So, in my case, the bike was dangerous to the point that I almost sold it early on.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts