Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got to sit on an FZ-09 at the Indy MotoGP this weekend and as excited as I was, I came away a bit bummed out. The bike did not feel right under me for some reason....I am 6' and it felt very cramped and the foot peg location seemed a bit odd. Nothing I wouldn't get used to but I am not sold on this bike 100% yet (for me). It was very light which was awesome. I am holding out anyway to wait and see what Yamaha does with it....I am really hoping for a 1/4 faired, hardbag optioned FZ09 :D

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
When you say cramped, what is the relative to? By that,I mean are you accustomed to riding a cruiser,a sport bike, or a naked style bike???

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My current bike is a 2000 VFR800. I guess I was just not used to the shorter reach to the bars but the whole thing felt oddly small and compact.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
yeah, if you're used to sportier riding positions, the fz will feel strange at first. 'small and compact' was what the designers were going for.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, if you're used to sportier riding positions, the fz will feel strange at first. 'small and compact' was what the designers were going for.
Yep....I am sure it would be something I would like after a while. not saying it is a bad thing either...just different Gonna keep an eye on what you guys all say when you get yours. Jury is still out :)

·
Registered
3,008 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Do you think replacing the bars with something a little lower and forward would fit you better? That is what I am thinking of, nowhere near race clip-ons, just enough to be leaning into the wind.
+1

And what about a rear set or something like that to move your foot position back?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
The upright seating position is what's appealing to me. There are plenty of racer oriented bikes currently available. The only concern I may have is I'm 6'2" and after hearing some say it's a small bike I'm a little worried. I don't wanna be cramped.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you think replacing the bars with something a little lower and forward would fit you better? That is what I am thinking of, nowhere near race clip-ons, just enough to be leaning into the wind.

The bar height is good I think...they just seemed a bit close in to me but again....that seems to be how most of the nakeds are. I could definitely see that being tough on the highway in the wind but who knows.

·
Registered
77 Posts
CNRFan1: Thanks for posting the pic and sharing you observations and experience with the bike at the Indy MoToGP this past weekend. Outside of some engine performance and longevity of certain parts preferences (which is me just being picky – more or less), 3 out of 5 of the major boxes for me are now checked:
1) Short reach to the bars;
2) Compact; and
3) Small (but not tiny).

The other 2 boxes have to do with
4) Fuel efficiency (MPG); and
5) Periods between maintenance (which I hope is pretty standard).

The FZ-09 is certainly shaping up to be my bike. But I’m going to wait on the riding reviews before I pull the trigger. Albeit, it’s very tempting to get the bike on the first day it arrives…..trying to stay disciplined until I hear the good and not so good

·
Registered
64 Posts
The MT-09 has come from the MT-03 stable which I think is not available in America. This has a close-coupled seating position - forward and close to the tank. So, you sit upright. It is quite different from the norm but you do get used to it, and it is very comfortable for me. I have turned the bars around a bit which puts them a little further away, and has them pointing a bit more towards me. 09 has a much better seat than the 03, as far as I can see, and it seems to have more room for moving around.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Hey smokehouse.......I believe I read that the valve check/adjustment interval was 40,000 kilometers, which equals 25,000 miles. That's better than my CBR 600RR......which is only 16,000 miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I ride a 2008 Hayabusa also owns a 2011 Fz-8, Looking forward to getting my FZ09 as part of my collection. I ride my Hyperbike when going long Distances in short time. I cant wait to get my FZ09 so I can hit the twisties and try to use it as a sportstouring machine. According to the Yamaha stats cheaper then my FZ8 and about 20 more ponies. I hope the seats are more comfortable.

·
Registered
77 Posts
WOW!! Thanks Tripple. I guess I’d better check box #5!:) Tell you what: If I find out, before the bike arrives, that the range is 200 miles or better…I WILL go down to the Dealership and put a deposit on the Rapid Red. Now—I’m not one for parting with my money if I have not seen AND touched (moreover - ride) the bike that I wish to buy. BUT, a valve check/adjustment interval at 25,000 miles…and [hopefully] a range of 200 miles (with moderate riding 90% of the time)….then the deposit becomes a DONE DEAL for sure!

·
Registered
123 Posts
WOW!! Thanks Tripple. I guess I’d better check box #5!:) Tell you what: If I find out, before the bike arrives, that the range is 200 miles or better…I WILL go down to the Dealership and put a deposit on the Rapid Red. Now—I’m not one for parting with my money if I have not seen AND touched (moreover - ride) the bike that I wish to buy. BUT, a valve check/adjustment interval at 25,000 miles…and [hopefully] a range of 200 miles (with moderate riding 90% of the time)….then the deposit becomes a DONE DEAL for sure!
Pretty sure it won't have a 200 mile range...............

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Pretty sure it won't have a 200 mile range...............
agreed. i'd guess it would get about 40-45mpg cruising on the highway. with a 3.7 gallon tank, that's 150-165ish highway miles. mess with the fuel maps, or ditch the o2 sensor in the exhaust, and you'll get even less range.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah you will be looking for gas at about the 100 mile mark, sure it will probably go 120 or so but on the road you don't always want to push it. So thinking about stopping for gas about every 100 miles or so...not so good.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
When I had the DorsoDuro, I would stop for fuel about every 100 miles or so. That was a V twin 750cc bike that I ran in "sport" mode about 99.0% of the time. I also rode mostly a spirited pace in the mountains. That one had a 3 gal. tank. I'm hoping the FZ will get me in the 45 mpg range and I would be happy with re-fueling every 120 to 130 miles or so. Most of the time, riding in the mountains, I'm ready for a break after that amount of time in the saddle anyway.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts