Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered new friction plates and springs from EBC and they will be here today. What I am wondering presently, is: Though there is no bluing or anything on the steels they so look a little shiny in a few places. I have read about folks using something like 300 grit sand paper to gently rough them up. Is this something I should consider doing or should I just lube the new friction plates, throw it together, and call it good?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Using 300 grit or even 200 wet dry sandpaper, wet, carefully in a cross hatch pattern and then thoroughly cleaning with Motor oil afterwards wiped with lint free clean rags is always a good idea depending on the miles you have on your scoot

By the way, why did you go with EBC rather than OEM?

It's always advisable To refer to the shop manual for proper procedures for Disassembly and reassembly

The last friction disk usually is installed 1 notch over from the Friction plate beneath

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By the way, why did you go with EBC rather than OEM?
Ive used EBC in the past and its been a good product. Mostly went with it this time due to price. I tapped most of my budget with the buying of the bike, upgrading the rear suspension, and getting the ECU flashed. Discovered that it was slipping in the high RPMS and just want to get it nipped in the bud.

Bike has 39k miles on it and Im not entirely sure these are the stock clutch parts. the springs and friction plates measure in spec but the friction plates are dark and shiny so I think they are a bit glazed. I should also specify that I inspected the basket and pressure plate and have not been able to locate any cracks or problems.

I have been referring to the service manual but it doesn't specify a direction to put the steels. Just wanted to make sure.

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
If you do sand them it'd pay to do it on a dead flat surface.

Reactions: dandywarhol

·
Registered
2019 MT-09 SP
19 Posts
Mechanic's tip: If you need to rough up clutch steels and have a concrete floor, you can do it there. Figure 8's until nice and consistent and then flip. Works for glazed brake pads, too. Just don't forget to clean them with a solvent after, you don't want any foreign particles in your engine..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts