Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

161 - 179 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Headed up to Palomar this morning! Should be up there by 10 with another FZ
would you mind posting coordinates or an address of where you start? never ridden outside of otay lakes rd, not even the 94 lol, and wanna try new roads

·
Registered
877 Posts
Headed up to Palomar this morning! Should be up there by 10 with another FZ
I won't be to the ranch till 5 pm, today.

Will definitely be on The Hill tomorrow morning.

Possible bikes: Red FZ 07, Red FZ 09, White 2015 KTM 690 Duke, or Orange 2016 KTM 690 Duke .

·
Registered
877 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just did S6 to east grade road early this afternoon. It was so cold and foggy at the top and there was even some snow on the sides of the road

·
Registered
114 Posts
I did lower south grade and went down right before the half way point (frame sliders took all of the impact, say for one $13 ebay mirror). There was a bunch of coolant spilled up there. Hopefully it dries up by tomorrow. I'll be on my Silver 09 y'all!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I did lower south grade and went down right before the half way point (frame sliders took all of the impact, say for one $13 ebay mirror). There was a bunch of coolant spilled up there. Hopefully it dries up by tomorrow. I'll be on my Silver 09 y'all!
Good riding today though, a couple scratches never hurt anyone ;)

·
Registered
877 Posts
All I can say is wow. That was probably the most fun I have ever had on a street bike. Thanks guys for showing up today. I was amazed at how well we all seemed to fit together. You guys are a quality bunch and it was a privilege to share the road with you all. A special thanks to Jeff for leading the pack and Chris for his hospitality and filming us on the mountain.

We definitely must do this again.
When's again going to be ? :cool:

·
Registered
877 Posts
e
Hahahaa, yea, don't mess with ShineySteve. He is damn fast. Still bummed I missed this ride. Next time.
He low sided some months ago and sold his bike. :sad5:

Broke his wrist ( again ) and his ole lady may have been an influence.

Update: as of early this year, he's back in the saddle again.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Gonna be in Oceanside the week of February 16th. Planning to ride with a few friends.

Would like to know how many of you Socal FZ guys would like to do a group day ride out of North County on Saturday the 21st.

Just testing the waters right now. If the response is good will start making some plans for time and place.

Let me know fellas.:cool:
Just saw this. I'm currently looking for a group ride through San Diego.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
Was just reminiscing thru this thread. This was a great time a few years ago.

I know many have since moved on to other bikes since then my self included. Went from FZ09 to KTM 1190 Adventure and now 2015 Versys 650.

Just curious how many who attended still have their FZ and visit this forum.

Cheers Mates.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Was just reminiscing thru this thread. This was a great time a few years ago.

I know many have since moved on to other bikes since then my self included. Went from FZ09 to KTM 1190 Adventure and now 2015 Versys 650.

Just curious how many who attended still have their FZ and visit this forum.

Cheers Mates.
Still have mine and a few more since then.

Come to find out how strong the frame was when a friend crashed my bike on The Fast Side of Palomar.

Bent the front end, turned the front wheel 90 deg. and even broke 1 upper fork tube.

The BST CF front wheel was apparently a lot stronger, with no ill effect.

The neck of the frame was twisted 1 deg to the left, which was 1/4 inch off center on the ground.

Was able to straighten the neck.

Used a 1 3/8 inch chromoly solid 4 foot long bar pulled with a come along.

Had the remove motor mount to allow frame to bend enough to spring back to center.

Bent the bar about 6 inches in the process, but the bike is dead nutz on, now and back on Palomar.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
Chris I figured you probably would still have yours. Good way to keep the bike count up where it belongs...Lol.

You were riding your tricked out fZ07 that day and grabbed some great Go Pro video of all us slugs going up and down the mountain.

Would love to turn back the clock and do that day all over again. It was a really great time.

Cheers.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Chris I figured you probably would still have yours. Good way to keep the bike count up where it belongs...Lol.

You were riding your tricked out fZ07 that day and grabbed some great Go Pro video of all us slugs going up and down the mountain.

Would love to turn back the clock and do that day all over again. It was a really great time.

Cheers.
Just have to do it again, then.

FWIW: I lost 65 Lbs , since then, so the FZ 07 does power wheelies out of the corners in 2nd gear.

Did a 400 mile day going to the Rock Store on April 1, 2017. Got 57 MPG on the freeway @ 80 mph avg.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
Just have to do it again, then.

FWIW: I lost 65 Lbs , since then, so the FZ 07 does power wheelies out of the corners in 2nd gear.

Did a 400 mile day going to the Rock Store on April 1, 2017. Got 57 MPG on the freeway @ 80 mph avg.
65 pounds? You must look like a slim Jim now. Congrats.

Back when I used to race flat track at Ascot one of the great tuners, CR Axtell, calculated that every 7 pounds of extra weight required one HP to pull it.

Based on that formula you picked up 9.2 HP on all your bikes!

Nice work Chris.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
Interesting numbers.

At 165 lbs, that explains why my FZ-10 launched its front wheel at 90 mph in 4th gear. :tongue9:

It must be excrutiatingly boring for big boys who ride low hp bikes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Do any of you south county guys go to South OC Cars & Coffee at the San Clemente outlets, Saturdays at 7:00AM?

Would be cool to get a good group to show up

161 - 179 of 179 Posts