Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Saddlemen Sport Seat, 700 Mile Road Test and Review *Updated with Passenger Report*

The FZ-09 is an amazing bike! It is, however, not perfect as most of us are aware. The suspension is lacking, the fueling is bad and the seat is awful. Thanks to Saddlemen and their “Sport” seat, I have remedied the seat problem.

I ordered the Sport Seat from Saddlemen as soon as it was available on their website. It was scheduled to be delivered one day before I was to ride the FZ to North-East Georgia to visit my Mom for Mother’s Day. The trip would total 700 miles over three days of riding.

On Friday, after work, I would head out from Savannah to a little community in Lincoln County (my home town) 175 miles to the North. First thing Saturday, I would begin the highest mileage portion by riding from Lincoln County to Demorest- right at 100 miles. After a brief lay over, I’d head out for 150 miles of wet mountain roads. Later that evening, I would make the 100 mile trek back to LC, and on Sunday afternoon I’d ride the 175 miles back to the Savannah. This would be the perfect test of the new seat!

As mentioned in the “Seat Options” thread, my initial impressions of the seat were good. As soon as I pulled it out of the box I was impressed with the construction. The material struck me first. In the photographs it appears to be suede, and while it maintains that impression from a distance, up close and to the touch it feels more like a basket ball (for lack of a better comparison.) Its obviously not entirely like a basket ball, but it has a “Grippy-ish” texture without being fuzzy. The grip is good, not bad. You can still move around on the seat, but moving will be deliberate.

I mounted it up on the bike and immediately noticed a gap between the rear body work and the seat. The gap is about a half inch in some areas. It was really noticeable at first, and bothered me somewhat. When I would sit on the bike a lot of the gap would go away, but it is still there.

The foam is much thicker and much more plush. You can also feel the gel in the rider position just under the skin. The passenger area doesn’t seem to have any gel, but the foam is easily twice as thick as the stock seat. I haven’t been able to get my wife out on the back yet- but a passenger impression will come no later than Saturday.

I “Prepped” for the long ride by having to ride a bicycle for a few hours at work Friday. This would not be a problem normally, but I haven’t ridden a bicycle in about 7 months and it left my butt really tender. I would be carrying a loaded backpack containing changes of clothes, a pair of shoes, shower kit and rain gear for the whole trip, too

I was worried at first, but as soon as I sat down on the FZ to begin the trip I knew I’d be alright. The gel is so comfortable while still being supportive. The little channel in the middle is awesome, too! The entire first stint of the trip I didn’t so much as shift my weight around- The seat was that good. I did have to stop once for gas, but I stayed on the bike. I will usually get off and stand around for a few minutes to get some blood flow back into my rear, but it was not needed.

The whole trip went that way. Only once, on the way back to LC from Demorest after a long day of riding did I have a little discomfort. I stood up for a second, then repositioned my butt on the seat and all was good.

Some added benefits of the seat are an increase in seat height It also moves the rider back away from the tank, increasing leg room. It helps dampen vibrations and jolts that would otherwise be felt with the stock seat, too.

Initially, I was concerned with the gap between the seat and the body work, but now I can’t live without it! It has made the bike much more enjoyable and usable. I highly recommend it. All I need now are some Renthal street low bars and a Ermax 33cm screen and I’ll be set for longer distance rides.

***Passenger Ride Report***
17 May 2014
My wife and I took a 260 mile round trip to Charleston today. The first stint was 130 miles straight, with no stop. On the second leg, we stopped at a Sonic at about the half way point for a milk shake. Riding with a passenger made me sit a little forward of the "Sweet Spot," so it wasn't as comfortable as it is solo. That being said, my butt still didn't hurt! So how was the passenger? I'll let her explain in her own words below:
" The new seat is by far much better than the stock seat. I didn't have to shift around or readjust very much at all. My back and butt didn't start hurting until about an hour and a half into the ride." -Tricia

And because...

·
Registered
657 Posts
I like this option. Corbin's seat looks great - but I do shift weight on the bike and this seat looks more accommodating to that.

Quite a difference in thickness compared side by side.

I need something better than this stocker... and so does my passenger. As they say, a happy wife is a happy life!

Reactions: DreamFZ

·
Registered
248 Posts
What a really good review! Thank you for being so thorough.

What sort of pants where you wearing...leather, textile or jeans? I know it sounds a little ghey but I've found that the ability to move around on the seat is sometimes affected by what I'm wearing.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wore jeans, but for a period of time I was wearing Frogg Toggs over them. The Frogg Toggs seemed to "Stick" more to the seat than my jeans did, so I just had to take a little weight off my rear when moving.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Pro Tip:

Park in the shade or throw your jacket over the seat if parked in the sun for any length of time... some gel inserts tend to get HOT when sitting in the sun.

Reactions: afi1

·
Registered
6 Posts
Awesome review Afi...

I definitley will be adding that seat to my list of improvements

I left a replie on your tall rider thread too

������

Later guys

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, $420. I ordered it the day they put it up on the site- Glad I got mine before they were back ordered. It is well worth the wait, though.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Looks like the pan is stamped metal? Any idea on the weight difference to stock?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The pan is thick fiberglass and painted black. The weight is obviously heavier than stock, but no extremely heavy. Maybe twice the weight?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Updated the original post with a passenger report after a 260 mile two up trip.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the update with the passenger perspective. I'm still torn between this and the Corbin. The Corbin does look more accommodating, but good god its ugly

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
154 Posts
The comfort aspect sounds great and the top down view is a nice look but that gap on the side is a total deal breaker. For $420 that seat needs to be very comfortable and aesthetically pleasing it misses the mark in a big way in looks on the side view IMHO.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree it is a flaw, but I don't even notice anymore. Those pictures were taken with a flash- without it, it isn't so obvious. When I'm riding it, I can't see it anyway!

·
Registered
156 Posts
i just ordered one the other day thanks in part to this post. cant wait for it to get here im sooo sick of that stock seat crushing my balls

·
Registered
227 Posts
Think you could post a few side shots where you see the bike completely, with the seat?
I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on one of these...

Thanks!

Angles like these:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts