Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Saddlemen Seat Review...... My Butt says "Thank you"

25K views 53 replies 20 participants last post by  NewOn2 
#1 ·
After a 2 hour ride on this seat I am already wishing I would have spent the money on this way sooner! I purchased the seat from Revzilla for 377.00 and free shipping and received it 4 days later. I know there is another thread and review on this but I wanted to add another and share some pictures of the Track style seat.

First Impressions:
The seat is very well made everything is nice and tight. I wasnt expecting the center strip to be silver but I actually think I like the silver better than I would have liked the black. I absolutely love the carbon fiber stitching, it is more slippery than the stock seat which isnt a problem at all! Once installed I did notice a small gap towards the back part of the seat but it disappears when I sit on it and Im hoping it will go away with time. Other than that the look on the bike is awesome, and it doesnt look like some sort of Frankenstein style Harley seat made to fit a sport bike.

My Butts Opinion:
The seat is 10X more comfortable than the stock. The part I like most is that the steep downward slope towards the tank is eliminated. The stock seat had me naturally sitting right up against the tank smashing some very important hardware. And when I would scoot back to a more comfortable position I would slide right back forward and since the stock seat is so tacky as my weight slid forward my pants would stay in the same spot making it even more uncomfortable. The seat is shaped so that you naturally sit further back so not only do you have more weight spread out over a bigger area you no longer hit the tank. Even though the seat is smoother I feel much more planted and secure to the bike. The channel down the middle is also a huge benefit. The rear of the seat is also ramped more so during hard acceleration I dont feel like im hanging on the bars for dear life.

The Girlfriend Opinion:
My girlfriend only took a short ride with me today but she said it was much more comfortable. The biggest improvement is that she now sits higher than I do. Before with me being 5'9'' and her being 5'3'' her head was the same level as mine and she would often bump my helmet and have to keep her head turned. Now she is slightly higher and can ride without her head turned.

See less See more
#3 ·
I am also wondering if the seat height is significantly increased. I'm 5'9" also, but I have a long torso and not so long legs. What were your major pressure points and issues with the stock seat? I have major "butt burn" and pressure points in the butt bones after about an hour of riding and I like the look of the saddleman seat but don't want to spend $400 just to be disappointed.

#6 ·
The seat height is changed. I dont have a measurement but before I could barely stand flat footed and now I cannot which I dont really care because i never really have both feet down. And as for pressure points I had tons, I suffer from noassatall syndrome so I had two really bad ones on my butt bones and other areas that I will not mention would literally be numb. A 40 minute ride to work would be painful and im 22 years old and 165 pounds so I knew it was a problem. I dont think you will be disappointed. I was worried but as soon as I sat on it and felt myself slide into the sweet spot and stay there I knew it was worth it. I was constantly moving around on the stocker to find a comfortable spot and constantly ending up on the tank.

And thanks Vern!

#4 ·
Very nice looking seat David.....I'm glad it's working out for you, it looks sharp. I am going to move this to the Vendor Reviews/Link section....it's probably more appropriate there.

#8 ·
As far as I know yes its just the material. I I think you do lose that ability but honestly I didnt use that on the stock seat so I didnt pay attention. I just really liked the look of the carbon fiber stitching and after sitting on it I like the fact that it is less grippy

#11 · (Edited)
Im actually not a huge fan .. I have the saddlemen track cf, carbon fiber look, its way too slippery.. I roll off throttle and slide forward from engine braking and slippery seat... It feels great in 4-6 gears, but 1-3 has the heavier engine braking and it pushes you forward.. There is no more slope... Feels great if it wasnt so slippery.

I am running stock ecu.. So maybe after i reflash and break it in, will be perfect.

#14 ·
Maybe he's bowlegged like me (one bite out of a donut). Gripping the tank takes constant, tiring effort. LOL
;)

#13 ·
Nice looking seat! Glad it's comfortable (main reason for getting one, really.)
I installed the Seat Concepts kit to cure the slope. It has similar-to-stock grippy material.
I had fun installing it to the tune of a gazillion staples. If I could've had a "turn key" seat like this one at the time.
I would've bought one instead
-eddie

PS:
Re: The Saddlemen carbon fiber "stitching". The cloth is carbon fiber-like. The stitching is regular thread.:rolleyes:

#17 ·
That's what my cart is looking at right now.

I have to buy tires, pay for track day and pay for my vacation next week first though.

Then I'll buy a seat + tank grips!

#19 · (Edited)
Just got mine this morning, with a 71$ duty charges...don't know who talked about free-trade between US and Canada, but it's a myth.

First impression aren't conclusive, the material does seem slippery, also, doesn't look as good as the Concept Seat or seem to offer better comfort, feels very similar. But I just sat on it for 1 minute in the shed (pouring outside). I'll post pics and review once I get to ride it, hopefully tomorrow.

The concept seat has a different material on the passenger section that is very grippy, something Saddlemen seem to have not put much thought into, but on the other hand the concept seat is very thin on the tail making it uncomfortable, so the saddlemen, for the passenger should be more comfortable but more slippery. I still don't understand how they could send people on the moon in the 60s, and still can't make a decent looking, comfortable seat today. I've had many bikes including Speed Triple, FZ8, MT-01, that had great looking and COMFORTABLE seats, I could ride 800km a day no problem other then being exhausted...

#22 · (Edited)
I have the tech specs but a slippery seat is a slippery seat. If you have leathers its not a problem, but I have a feeling with cordura it will tend to be slippery. Also curious to see what will happen when it rains (other then having a pool in the middle of the seat).

Here are a few pics I just took:

First impressions while not moving is seat is firm...can't wait to put an hour on the saddle and really see.

The Seat Concept looks less "orthopedic" and actually even better then the stock seat...and will probably keep it for around town, and just put the saddlemen on for touring if it turns out to be more comfortable.

#25 ·
After a 30 minutes test drive I can say they got the angle right. No pressure on the tail bone or on the family jewels. It is slightly slipper then the stock or Concept Seat one, but not too bad even with my cordura pants. At first it does seem a bit firm though for such a heavy and thick seat...will see how it gets after a couple hundred miles on it. Still not quite sold on the looks.

So far I'd say the stock seat is the worse, the Concept Seat is the best looking one but has a pressure point in the last area you want it, and the Saddlemen, though doesn't look that great has got the right angle and seems to relieve pretty much all pressure points.

#32 ·
I purchased a Saddleman Sport seat and was not happy with the finish and the level of comfort it provided. I sent it back and then requested a Saddleman Tech seat which inmho is an improvement over both the stock seat and the Sport seat. It feels really good when you have the front wheel about 3 1/2 to 4 feet in the air. LOL

Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exhaust Motorcycle accessories

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Tire Automotive tire

#34 ·
I purchased a Saddleman Sport seat and was not happy with the finish and the level of comfort it provided. I sent it back and then requested a Saddleman Tech seat which inmho is an improvement over both the stock seat and the Sport seat. It feels really good when you have the front wheel about 3 1/2 to 4 feet in the air. LOL

View attachment 8721

View attachment 8722
What were the problem areas with comfort on the sport seat that were improved with the tech seat?

#39 · (Edited)
Yes, "Triplethreat" There is a slight forward slope to the seat. That is where I wish it was more dished so to speak. If you have on leathers it should not be a problem but I do slide towards the tank when I wear jeans. The area where you sit is made of a material that breathes. The remainder of the seat is leather. For me a 50 year old 6' 1" tall 228 pound man it is not perfect but it is 90% better than the stock seat.

Vehicle Auto part Tire Automotive wheel system Bicycle saddle

Product Auto part Fender Vehicle

Vehicle Car Leather Auto part Leg

#41 ·
I bought the Track-CF Style model, and it's still not quite right for me. I'm 190lbs and have a feeling if I was 160lbs it would probably be much better, it's certainly more comfortable then stock and slightly more comfortable then the Concept Seat (which I'll probably try to modify). I paid 500$ including shipping for it, I'll probably let it go for 300$ + Shipping (it's a week old) if there's anyone in Canada interested in giving it a try.

#43 ·
Installed my Saddlemen Track CF seat yesterday and put about 60 miles on it. The seat is built well and flows with the bikes lines well IMO. It is definitely more comfortable than the stock seat, but I was hoping it would be slightly more comfortable than it is. I only put 60 miles on the new saddle so I should reserve comfort judgement yet. The forward slope is gone and my nuts no longer get crushed thanks to the channel in the center! The material is a little slippery than the stock seat, but not nearly bad enough to make me regret the purchase. I will be installing some techspec tank grips soon anyways.
View attachment 8861 Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Rim
Land vehicle Vehicle Red Motorcycle Motorcycle accessories

#44 ·
Why don't you guys just strap some wheels and a motor to a lazy boy and ride it down the street jeez. In my day we didn't have seat we just stood up the whole time or sat on a milk crate strapped to the frame with copper wire or twist ties.

Reactions: Steve101 and EdVR
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.