Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm sure I'm not the 1st one to think of this, but made myself a quick and cheap bracket to keep saddlebags off the wheel.

Drilled out the plastic to access the bolt holes in the sub frame (they are marked with Xs on the inside when you take the plastic off, as someone mentioned earlier)

1/8" X 1.5" steel flat bar 26" long. 13" on the inside of the bends and the legs come down about 6-7" (yep they would both be 6.5" if I had any idea how to bend metal). M8 X 25 bolts for the frame. some kind of little sleeve that would put the torque on the frame instead of the plastic would be handy but the plastic seems strong enough, bags shouldnt put that much stress on it, but I might look for some to be safe.

saddlebags are Kuryaken gran-throw-over (biggest soft ones I could find) and top bag is Motocentric Roll tail bag (its awesome and has its own bungies). These saddle bags go right from my butt to the blinker if anyone was curious. They wouldnt fit with a fender eliminator kit.

cheers

·
Registered
155 Posts
Looks good. Cheaper then the oem ones too I'm sure!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
582 Posts
another good idea and way to keep soft bags out of the tires. Those are very large soft bags. Much bigger than factory bags.

I bolted my brackets to the foot pegs since I don't ride double. There is a post on the forum about mounting on the pegs. You might want to round those ends with a grinder or flat file incase you have the bags off and the brackets remain while your traveling so you won't rip your pants on them. I usually remove my brackets and bags at home but have removed the bags and rode with brackets still on the bike.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I will take them off except for the couple trips a year when I use the saddlebags, but you're right I do need to round the corners on them just to keep from damaging the bags actually. will also paint them black.

shortly after posting I realized the one side could get close to the brake caliper, have around 5.5" there and I see FZ9 has 5.1" of rear travel so I SHOULD be ok :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Saddle Bag Brackets for 2014 Yamaha FZ-09

I purchased two(2) 1 inch X 1/8 inch x 36 inch solid milled steel strips at Home Depot for only $4.86 each. I then made a 90 degree angle with one and drilled a hole at the end to fit on the mounting screw which secures the FZ-09 plastic trim strip under the seat. I cut this off about 8 inches down and drilled another hole in it. I then ran the metal strip from the top screw connecting the passenger peg and when it hit the rear vertical from the seat I drilled a hole to connect the two. I spray painted all steel with flat black metal Rustoleum spray paint. This simple method keeps the bags from hitting the back wheel and for $10 total I saved the $169 that Yamaha Accessories charges for the same steel rod set up. The whole job takes 2.5-3 hours working slowly and carefully. Good luck and keep The Rubber Side Down

·
Registered
987 Posts
Looks good, now paint it black

1 - 7 of 7 Posts