Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so yesterday I went through an ordeal. I was on my way to work so I did not have my complete riding gear and was not expecting to go too crazy.

I went through the same routine I have done a hundred times, turn onto a road that gets curvy so I can have an enjoyable ride to work, and when I turn onto the road I usually power it up. However this day was different. As I turned onto the road I encountered two factors I had not yet seen: There was a strong headwind that caught me unawares and a slight dip at the end of a driveway. I have always waited a little down the road to bring the front up and I guess added in with the other variables, this led to my downfall. Lucky for me, someone had just gifted me a GoPro4 for my birthday. I was covering the brake with my foot as always but it felt like when the front came up that the rear tire dropped a little and the wind hit me at the same time. Luckily a friend of mine owns a local bike shop and came to my aid to carry me to the hospital. Besides missing skin I have a severely sprained right ankle, and the hospital having to cut part of my alpinestar gloves out of my hand.

If you are squeamish do not watch. And excuse the small vulgarity.

It destroyed my barends and mirrors along with my carbon akro can. It also took several pegs and my rear break pedal and my clubman bars severely indented the right side of my tank but is is not punctured. And thank goodness for my woodcraft sliders. It also took out my freshly installed x-blaster.

I am lucky to be here because if I had slid to the left instead I would probably be under a car. Bad decision on my part, I got comfortable on the bike and she showed me what was up.
We went back and took this picture on the road, the black marks are where it came back and I hit the road, the smiley face and writing was there before I ever got there. Creeped us all out quite a bit.
0402151758a.jpg

·
Registered
768 Posts
Glad you're okay, relatively speaking.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yeah, when you get comfortable doing crazy stuff you forget the margin of error is slimmer. Hope the injuries to you and the bike heal quickly!

Reactions: Cecil

·
Registered
276 Posts
I hope you and your bike make a speedy recovery. What does not kill us makes us stronger. You never know, this could have been a blessing in disguise. Perhaps a lesson learned from this event will save you from a worse accident in the future. Everything can be replaced - except you. Be safe.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Glad you're able to look back and realize what happened......Glad you're relatively ok and hope you'll heal up fast.

I'm amazed you were able to get right up after such a hard spill. Take care of yourself.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys, and yeah fiddyone that was my steel toe shoe. I just picked it up and kept walking because there was no reason to put it on the damage had been done.
Definitely self inflicted, she taught me a lesson. But as soon as this ankle is good ill be back riding when I get some pegs.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Live and learn. Could have been much worse. Don't make the same mistake twice. Glad you lived the tell the tale.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I never quite understood the thrill of the wheelie. Keep the rubber side down and heal fast.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Sad indeed. Glad your damage and injury weren't worse. And thanks for sharing this. Crash videos serve to teach us without actually being the victim.

Heal fast and well.

·
Registered
107 Posts
That message on the road is not only ironic but kinda funny considering. Anyhow, glad you're ok "mostly" and I'm sure you'll be back on 2wheels soon enough. Bikes can be fixed pretty easy!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts