Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone besides me coat the 'splash points' and most of the undercarriage of their bike for winter riding? Back in the day my mentor used wd-40 when most scoot parts were metal so I did the same. With time and the growing use of plastics and other nonmetal materials used in bike builds I switched to Mazola cooking oil spray. I switched because I became concerned with wd-40 possible reactions with these nonmetal parts and/or paint. It works great and washes off cleanly with Dawn when spring comes. Just wondering if anyone else takes the same precautions?

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
I never have. Pretty much my winter prep is StaBil in the gasoline if the bike is going to sit and a Battery Tender to keep the battery fresh. Make sure the chain is lubed too.

Reactions: jmcghee41

·
Registered
1,181 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
India never had salt on the roads or a freezing winter. My first winter here in NY has seen a lot of salt and a lot of weekend cleaning thereafter! And the winter refuses to end! If this works, its a good thing to know and I should prep the bike next winter that way. Or this weekend. Because I can't bear to have any down time, the cold be damned!

How do you guys clean the area behind the exhaust pipes? No matter how hard I scrub it, there are specs of baked oil/dirt all over. I used wet grit to scrub the pipes but its hard to get to the inside area.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
In dirtbike riding, coating the underside of the fenders and the skid plate with non-stick cooking spray is a great way to keep mud from sticking.

Never bothered for streetbikes though. I guess it couldn't hurt anything. I just don't see a need for it here in California. Other places, sure. Especially if you were riding a lot on dirt or gravel roads when they are wet.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I always carried Pam with me when I raced motocross to help keep the mud from sticking to the fenders, under the motor, behind the shifter, and brake, but never thought to use it on the street.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts