Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am no mechanic by any means so I am turning to you guys for help on this one. I spotted what looks like rust to me on my rear brakes. Below are two pictures. I have had the bike only 3 months. 1200 miles. Garage kept. only ridden in the rain maybe 3 times. Is this rust? Is it normal? If not, what can I do for it? WD-40? Thanks for any help guys. FZ09 Rust.jpg fz09 rust 3.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have that too. I didn't think it was rust though. I thought it was just the normal color. I'm at 800 miles and garage kept, never been in the rain and i didn't look at it when new so i figured it came that color.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Not seeing anything... are you talking about the copper colored metal backing plates for the pads?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
The brake pads get very hot and the backing plates are usually copper, or gold, or black in color.

Ride more and worry less.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Wow. Lol

Reactions: Travis

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Do NOT put WD40 anywhere near your brake pads/rotors! And no, that's not rust.
it's only the rear brake, what could go wrong??

I know someone who did it once when he was 14 or so and stupid on a dirt bike to get ride of that slight noise that disc brakes make. The WD40 got rid of the noise, and all braking capabilities. He went through a barb wire fence.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you to those who answered the question and thank you to those who made me feel like an idiot. Nothing like getting laughed at when you ask a question to make you feel welcome.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Don't feel like your question about the rust was a bad one...that was a legitimate newbie question. The part about WD40 on the brakes, though...I tried to keep my initial response pretty tame, and I think I did pretty well in that regard, but this is a very fundamental fact about all things that rely on friction to slow down: never ever put a friction modifier AKA lubricant anywhere near the friction surfaces of your brake system. In other words, don't grease up your brakes bro! And because I now feel like I need to say this, WD40 also does not go well on sandwiches or tires.

Only giving you a hard time because no one wants to see a fellow motorcyclist go through a barb wire fence like Keef's buddy because they didn't know not to put lubricant on their brakes. I don't know how Keef's buddy turned out, but barb wire can slice you up like pepperoni if you're going fast enough.

Be safe out there!

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
He was fine. Well, he is fine NOW. He probably had a few cuts and bruises and brown pants.
I didn't know him when it happened. I can't remember how it came up in the conversation one day, i do remember laughing my arse off when he told me, though.
And Ramblin, as my grandmother used to say, better to give people a giggle on an internet forum than to ride through a fence. Or something like that.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BMcEL and keef, I thought whay both of you guys said was constructive. I wasn't referring to either one of you. I'm not upset or anything. I admit I am a complete newb with motorcycles and engines. But I've asked several questions on this website and just about each one someone has pointed and laughed at me. It's just annoying.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I've asked several questions on this website and just about each one someone has pointed and laughed at me. It's just annoying.
Sorry 'bout that... but this IS the internet... some folks that are perfectly pleasant in real life can be complete dicks on the internet. Best to just let it go, or take note of the persistent dicks and add them to your ignore list.

Reactions: beck

·
Registered
62 Posts
looks like rust on your rear brake. Spray it completely down with WD-40 and you should be good to go. Pads, rotor and all.:victorious:

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I had an old riding buddy that armor-all'ed his tires (the actual tire treads). We were all in hysterics when he showed up for a group ride with shiny tires, complaining that they felt slick.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Some people are just dicks period. If people weren't legitimately seeking advice, they wouldn't waste their time asking. The majority of the members on this forum are great people with helpful suggestions. Some just think they're smarter than everyone else and love to belittle the newbs. They would be better served becoming a member of that 'other' FZ09 forum. There's a lot of dicks on there...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts