Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

Could you please help me to understand how taillight works?

Previous owner had installed integrated taillight and everything worked fine until couple of days ago.
Blinkers works, stop light works, but riding light doesn't work. Sometimes it works, sometimes not, sometimes it gives some dim light. What could be the problem?
I've checked wiring and everything seems OK.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
429 Posts
What brand tail light is it? Can you post a pic? So are you saying when the running light doesn't work, the taillight is completely off but the brake light still comes on when you hit the brakes? I'd start by check that all your connections are secure #1. If they are, you may have a defective unit, and since most of these aftermarket options are still relatively new, I would think the original manuf. would take care of you.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Sometime the connections appears to be good, but just a small amount of corrosion inside the connection makes for an intermittent problem. You might need to unplug the light connectors, make sure they are clean and add some new dielectric grease. Hopefully the previous owner didn't use cheap wire crimps to hook up the lights. If he did, you might need to solder the connections.

Also make sure the PO didn't kink any of the wires. If he did, you might have a broken wire inside the wire insulation that's not easy to spot. You can tell it has been kinked if the insulation is dis-coloured, or if you have a small burned spot in the insulation. Not always easy to find, but worth taking a closer look.

Or like freshme4t says, you might have a defective tail light. You can check with the manufacturer for a warranty replacement, but hard to say if that will fly. Hopefully they won't go the "No warranty, it wasn't installed correctly" route. Sometimes trying to get warranty on electrical parts is a waste of time.

Hopefully it's a quick fix.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Yes.check the connections real good..a dim light is usually an indication of a bad ground or excessive resistance in the ground or power circuit . if the connections at the light are good, you need to check the chassis ground and also run a voltage drop test on the circuit

1 - 4 of 4 Posts