Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 visitors from Arizona, 1 a member originally from Cali.

We did his fork springs at my house months ago.

Met up at the top, Mother's Kitchen and ran down The Tight Side.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
At about 1:53, 2nd rider waves me past so I catch up to lead rider.

He picked up the pace, then, and performed the obligatory wheelie at the bottom. :cool:

Reactions: beck

·
Registered
612 Posts
That road looks eff'n amazing! I mean I can find twisties like that near me but the curves in the video seem to never end.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Hey Chris, How you liking the FZ07?

Looks like it has no trouble staying up with the 09.

What mods have you done on it?

Ride safe.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
The 07 sounds great - liked the giggle at the end when he wheelied - i did the same.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
At about 1:53, 2nd rider waves me past so I catch up to lead rider.

He picked up the pace, then, and performed the obligatory wheelie at the bottom. :cool:
Nice riding, chief!
Thx for sharing.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Nice run. I mount my camera on the left side of my helmet and it always gives people the impression that I am crossing the double yellow line, though I never do. It is just the fact that I am hanging inside the bike on my butt cheek.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Nice run. I mount my camera on the left side of my helmet and it always gives people the impression that I am crossing the double yellow line, though I never do. It is just the fact that I am hanging inside the bike on my butt cheek.
The concern is that even if the wheel isn't over the line, part of you or the bike is. All it takes is another one doing the same in the other direction to make a mess of things.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Would not want to cross the yellows on the mountain anyways. They are grooved like rumble strips to deter it, and less than ideal traction.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I think that the wide angle of the lense is giving that impression. You will notice the rider in front is not across the line headwise, yet when I ride the same line my camera gives the impression that I am across the line.

In this video my wife is guilty of hanging over the line, but later on you can see me looking through the turn, which gives the impression that I am over the center line.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'll hang over the yellow line as long as I can see through the turn and have enough time to get back over if someone is coming the other way. Blind turns I always stay way out wide entering the turn and then once I see it's clear, tighten up the radius if I want. Camera's don't always give the full riders perspective though, so sometimes things look a little more sketchy than they really are.

I didn't watch every second of the OP's video, but looked like pretty good riding all around. Thanks for sharing. BTW, are all the tar snakes much of an issue on that road?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think that the wide angle of the lense is giving that impression. You will notice the rider in front is not across the line headwise, yet when I ride the same line my camera gives the impression that I am across the line.

In this video my wife is guilty of hanging over the line, but later on you can see me looking through the turn, which gives the impression that I am over the center line.

I've been there. :)

·
Registered
1,802 Posts

video=youtube;U8Wn0DtMC6w]http://youtu.be/U8Wn0DtMC6w[/video]
Really nice vid Doug. I'm sitting in the FBO waiting to fly the boss home but just took a scenic ride with you and there was no danger involved. How cool is that?

Unless of course I fall off the couch!

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I try not to dust my wife when it is the two of us. I slow on the straights to allow her to catch up. Also, I get her on the cellphone through my Sena, and warn her of upcoming obstacles. I haven't been on that route in over 20 years.

The first few minutes are on the Natchez Trace Parkway, which is federally patrolled. It is painfully slow. 40 mph speed limit.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The concern is that even if the wheel isn't over the line, part of you or the bike is. All it takes is another one doing the same in the other direction to make a mess of things.
Generally bike may be a couple of feet inside the line, but helmet cam makes it look farther over .

Head may be over the yellow only when I can see through the turn well enough to avoid anything bad.

Been running Palomar for 14 years and have lived "across the street from" the last 10.

10th aniv party was in early August.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll hang over the yellow line as long as I can see through the turn and have enough time to get back over if someone is coming the other way. Blind turns I always stay way out wide entering the turn and then once I see it's clear, tighten up the radius if I want. Camera's don't always give the full riders perspective though, so sometimes things look a little more sketchy than they really are.

I didn't watch every second of the OP's video, but looked like pretty good riding all around. Thanks for sharing.

BTW, are all the tar snakes much of an issue on that road?
Not really.

Suspension set a bit soft for bumpy road, and pick a line through the snakes hitting them

perpendicular rather than parallel.

Same for the 2 cattle grates.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Hey Chris, How you liking the FZ07?

Looks like it has no trouble staying up with the 09.

What mods have you done on it?

Ride safe.
Good bike.

Running downhill and home field advantage evens out the HP difference .

Was just using 3rd gear going downhill.

Would use all of 2nd and most of 3rd gear if running hard.

It has full Ohlins front end from a Duc 1098 S with Brembo Monoblocks , Marvic magnesium wheels, Metzler Racetecs ( soft ) full Akra pipe.

Lost a bit more weight with 1.25 Lb mini Lithium battery and tail cleanup.

+ 2 teeth on the rear sprocket since wheel came from FZ 09 # 2 after I sold it.

OEM rear is 43 t on the FZ 07 and 45 t on the FZ 09.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Now that's a pretty picture... the real question will be: what can the average 07 owner do to upgrade the suspension?
PS... love the bike, thinking about getting one (which means selling the 500 Ninja).

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Now that's a pretty picture... the real question will be: what can the average 07 owner do to upgrade the suspension?
PS... love the bike, thinking about getting one (which means selling the 500 Ninja).
Fork springs when available and heavier fluid , depending on rider weight .

Aftermarket rear shock when available.

I hear Ohlins and Penske have some, so far.

Biggest problem with finding another bike substitute is that it is 12 inch instead of 13 inch and the clevis / eye mounts are bassackwards.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts