Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I jus read in an article that the bike does 75 mph at 4000rpm. Mine does not. More like 65mph or slower at
that. To be honest I was bummed it wasnt lower revving and smoother at speed as I like long trips. Any thoughts? Thanks. :eagerness:

·
Super Moderator
5,752 Posts
Most of the time when I see 75MPH, I'm getting close to the rev limiter.....in 2nd gear!

Seriously though, are you sure of the info that you read? And how important is it to you?

Reactions: Poogamer69 and beck

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Change magazine. 5K is more appropriate. This is a 160 MPH gearing... should be fine going 1/2 the speed.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Lower doesn't always mean smoother. I find 5K to be a good cruising rpm too...

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Several have experimented with gearing.

I am running a rear sprocket that is 2 teeth smaller. I like where it puts the engine in the freeway cruise and it is not so short (like the stock gearing) that I had to baby the throttle or pull a wheelie. I can still easily wheelie if I want to.

I tried 4 teeth smaller rear sprocket and it was too tall.

Some have swapped the 16 tooth countershaft sprocket for a 17 tooth but that requires removing the "case saver" located between the countershaft sprocket and the engine case. There is some risk of engine damage if the chain ever breaks and jumps off the countershaft sprocket. However the case saver usually breaks away when the chain jumps and sometimes prevents damage to the engine case and sometimes does not so for some the case saver is a marginal risk.

For me, I prefer to keep the case saver there and install an easier to replace rear sprocket.

BTW I used the stock length chain for the -2 and -4 tooth rear sprocket with no problems.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I jus read in an article that the bike does 75 mph at 4000rpm. Mine does not. More like 65mph or slower at
that. To be honest I was bummed it wasnt lower revving and smoother at speed as I like long trips. Any thoughts? Thanks. :eagerness:
what difference do you notice between 4500 and 5500 revs, apart from moving faster? I find the motor to be smooth and quiet, with excellent acceleration even in top at 75. if you want to cruise along at 70 does it matter if the motor is spinning at 4000 or 6000 revs?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All right. I guess it's a small complaint. I'll know more after today when I get my first oil change Thanks for the reply to all. This forum thing is great.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Never bothered to look... LOL, half the time I don't even know which gear I'm using... this moto doesn't seem to care much about RPM or gear if you are going less than 80... 4th, 5th, 6th?

Reactions: clown

·
Registered
272 Posts
I also love the gearing it lets me use 1st and 2nd on the roads I love to ride .This motor is so good I hardly ever look at the tach and I like leaving it in one gear so I can br smooth on the brakes without alot of downshifting. Great stuff. RR:cool:

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Never bothered to look... LOL, half the time I don't even know which gear I'm using... this moto doesn't seem to care much about RPM or gear if you are going less than 80... 4th, 5th, 6th?
I can tell you that if you cruise any distance on the freeway (about 75 mph) in 4th and 5th gear the mileage drops off considerably...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree but on he freeway I usually do much higher than 75 mph when the road is open. Out here in west Texas that's a lot of the time I've always said these Japanese engines are bullet proof so I guess I'll jus crank the hell out of it and not worry bout it.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
The gearing is fine for me. I'm not overly concerned about mileage or if I'm spinning along at 6 grand. And who hell wants to squint at the tiny bar graph that passes for a 'Tach' on this cluster? The only thing I don't like about this gauge cluster is the Tach, it's set up too close to the top edge of the cluster and if the sun is at a certain angle, it casts the whole top edge in shadow anyway. I almost never use it, preferring to let the motor tell me what's going on...

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
For me personally, use good oil, change it regularly and when the engine is fully warmed up... good to go! I don't worry about occasionally revving the engine near redline... I have faith in engineering and testing (for now anyway)! :)

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
5k in 6th at 75

Reactions: cthouse
1 - 20 of 26 Posts