Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Vendor
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend with an rc51 with slip ons, my fz09 has a full akro carbon and my flash

we did several roll ons with varying start speeds from about 40 mph to about 70 mph. The bikes were very close. when he would get the jump his back tire would get about 1/2 bike length in front of me and stay there the one time I got the jump he did not come back by me. I was deff impressed with the 9 hanging with it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My friend has a sp1 rc51. He was all for racing my zx10, but I think he is scared he might lose to the fz09. I walked his vfr800 like it was nothing. Good to hear my thoughts of how the race would come out are true.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
A guy I rode with yesterday had one as well (first time I've seen one) - it was his brothers bike so he was taking it easy - had an m4 exhaust on it - what a freakin sweet sounding bike.

I'm starting to get a bit of exhaust envy/jealousy and I really don't have the funds to do something about it haha.

·
Vendor
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A guy I rode with yesterday had one as well (first time I've seen one) - it was his brothers bike so he was taking it easy - had an m4 exhaust on it - what a freakin sweet sounding bike.

I'm starting to get a bit of exhaust envy/jealousy and I really don't have the funds to do something about it haha.
they are one of the sweetest sounding bikes ever IMO

the 9 sounds pretty sweet stock also though

·
Registered
657 Posts
RC51's are cool cool bikes... and in my opinion, one of the best sounding bikes, especially with pipes.

They are torquey like the FZ, but by no means are a monster for being 1000cc. Regardless, coupled with their racing heritage, they have a high cool factor. Luck my good buddy has one so I've been privy to some seat time on one.

·
Registered
337 Posts
RC51's sound good, Aprilia RSV4 with exhaust = complete bliss!

In the 90's the Japanese went V-twin crazy for a bit and out of the offerings the RC51 was the best example hands down, the TLS/TLR Suzukis were never my thing.

·
Registered
957 Posts
RC51's sound good, Aprilia RSV4 with exhaust = complete bliss!

In the 90's the Japanese went V-twin crazy for a bit and out of the offerings the RC51 was the best example hands down, the TLS/TLR Suzukis were never my thing.
The reason for the V-twin craze of the late 1990s was because the rules in place in WSBK and AMA SBK gave v-twin powered bikes a very unfair displacement advantage vs. the 4 cylinder models. Japanese got walked over time and time again because of it. So the Japanese started adopting an "if you can't beat'em, join'em" mentality. The displacement rules for SBK were eventually changed to the current one, which allows 4 cylinder bikes and v-twins to compete on pretty equal footing.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I had a VTR1000F Superhawk. I enjoyed riding it, and the engine was intoxicating. The downside was it sucked gas like no other. The '98 I had used 51mm carbs. With a jet kit and pipes, the fuel mileage dropped into the teens when it was opened up.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I had a VTR1000F Superhawk. I enjoyed riding it, and the engine was intoxicating. The downside was it sucked gas like no other. The '98 I had used 51mm carbs. With a jet kit and pipes, the fuel mileage dropped into the teens when it was opened up.

I also had a Superhawk with TBR pipes. One of my favorite sounding bikes. Did swallow a lot of fuel. It eventually became too uncomfortable for me. I can't do the sportbike riding position anymore.

·
Registered
420 Posts

There must be something going around. I feel the same way.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Here's the bike Beck was referring too, then an MV, then his bike. I need a pipe too !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts