Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Met my buddy and his brand new Suzuki GSX-S750. Nothing exciting happened as he is still breaking it in so he took it easy. Nice looking bike but I like my FZ better.
I didn't ride his bike but I sat on it and pushed down and the forks, it seems they are stiffer than my FZ's even after I adjusted them. Rear shock feels the same. Suzuki hid the horn behind the radiator so you can't see it, unlike our horn right there for everyone to see. I like his front headlight but not the taillight. His dash only had bars showing coolant temp HI and LOW and our FZ has a temp reading, and Air temp reading. Next time we're out I'm going to take pictures of bikes side by side.
I'm so going to smoke that bike when his break-in is over!

·
Registered
657 Posts
I am curious how the 09 holds up to that 750. Post up after you get out on a 'closed course' ;) with him.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I've read some pretty harsh criticism on the GSX-S750. I sat on one at the local dealer and wasn't very impressed with the feel. Sounds like they ruined it with the throttle / fueling control (ala pre fueling changes on the FZ) and weight. But the '08 750cc motor is a solid power plant. We dropped one in my brother in laws gsxr 600 after he blew the motor.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
in that horrid motorcycle.com review they mentioned the Suzuki had better stock suspension compared to the 09 but realistically either would require upgrading if you're doing anything beyond commuting.

I don't get what Suzuki is doing and i can't imagine their sales are that great beyond Gixxers which is a dying category anyway. They hit a homerun with the SV, ruined the platform with the SVF and now trying to revive with the S750 - looks like they're spending another year in the gutter.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am curious how the 09 holds up to that 750. Post up after you get out on a 'closed course' ;) with him.
No question the 09 destroys that 750. I'm more curious how the FZ-07 holds up to that 750... hahaha

I've read some pretty harsh criticism on the GSX-S750. I sat on one at the local dealer and wasn't very impressed with the feel. Sounds like they ruined it with the throttle / fueling control (ala pre fueling changes on the FZ) and weight. But the '08 750cc motor is a solid power plant. We dropped one in my brother in laws gsxr 600 after he blew the motor.
I thought I read You dropped one in your brother's lawn mower... I was like "Is that bad?" I tend to read too fast sometimes, lol

in that horrid motorcycle.com review they mentioned the Suzuki had better stock suspension compared to the 09 but realistically either would require upgrading if you're doing anything beyond commuting.

I don't get what Suzuki is doing and i can't imagine their sales are that great beyond Gixxers which is a dying category anyway. They hit a homerun with the SV, ruined the platform with the SVF and now trying to revive with the S750 - looks like they're spending another year in the gutter.
Yeah Beck, it was no brainer: For the same price the FZ09 weights less, has more horsepower and is a triple!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Not sure why there is all this GSX-S 750 bashing.
Most all that comment on it, have not ridden it, ... to me, it is the same old BS, people read one road test, then jump on the band wagon.
85% of the clowns commenting on the bike, could not ride it to it's full capability anyhow.

It is a nice bike, and in the hands of a capable rider, will humble many on "greater" equipment.
This scenario, has been going on for 60+ years.

Guess I am tiring, of all the internet experts.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well Rayminator, lets say you're a capable rider and we clone you, so now there are 2 capable Rayminators. You guys race, You on the GSX and your clone on the FZ, your clone would smoke you.. no question about it. And that's coming from an internet expert.

·
Registered
239 Posts
No question the 09 destroys that 750. I'm more curious how the FZ-07 holds up to that 750... hahaha

I thought I read You dropped one in your brother's lawn mower... I was like "Is that bad?" I tend to read too fast sometimes, lol

Yeah Beck, it was no brainer: For the same price the FZ09 weights less, has more horsepower and is a triple!
It was one bad ass lawn mower, best believe it. Never seen 5 acres mowed that fast I guarantee it

·
Registered
315 Posts
Well Rayminator, lets say you're a capable rider and we clone you, so now there are 2 capable Rayminators. You guys race, You on the GSX and your clone on the FZ, your clone would smoke you.. no question about it. And that's coming from an internet expert.
Well lucky us, once your buddies bike is broken in, you can test ride it, and give us a first hand impression.
No doubt, it will match your preconceived notions.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I'm not going to test ride it. We're going to race and I'm going to strip the paint of that overpriced, recycled piece of shit!
As much as I wish you the best, you're not going to tell us anything the numerous magazine comparisons haven't already.

I don't want to say it's a "bad" bike. Rather, the FZ-09 has raised the bar on what to expect on bikes in this price bracket.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The 750 version vs an FZ9, both relatively de-tuned, not an exciting comparison to me. Let's see what the 1000cc version delivers compared to the FZ9 for an overall package - suspension, brakes, handling and overall power characteristics.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
On paper and judging purely by reviews, seems like the Suzoook is weaker than the older FZ8.
The power to weight on the FZ09 is something most other brands are struggling to achieve in this segment. For real world riding, the low weight of the 09 and the low-end torque will win for me every time. I wonder if a test ride would ever change that.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I really like the looks of the 750. Am very interested in the 1000. Was able to sit and fondle one in Illinois a couple of months ago. Not a fan of the blue but am 100% interested in some real world HP numbers and another look at it. It's on my short list of next bikes (which could be even shorter anytime now that I just sold one). Hope its not detuned much and the price is manageable for what it is.

1k.jpg 1ks.jpg

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's a whole different animal for sure. But the 750 priced like an FZ09, is a joke.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts